Week 7: East Hamilton at McMinn County

BigDave1967

I stated back in July that this would be a very tuff year for the Canes. I stated that we would be more then likely 1-4 going into the Cleveland game. I got called a sandbagger. At that time I had no idea that we would lose our QB. Gatewood has made changes tinkered with the offense all year and it is a slow process. Also like everyone else more so Cleveland we have had some major injuries in key areas. We have 4 games remaining @ McMinn, Soddy, Rhea, and @ Bradley. If we can win those 3 remaining district games we can get to 4-2 in the district I think that gets us in. Lenoir City got in with a 3-3 record and 5-5 over all last year. I also think Stone Memorial got in with near the same record. I also think the offense played pretty darn good in the second half vs. Cleveland and we got into a little grove. #6 got his first start at QB and position he has not played since 7th grade. We still had issues with some drop balls and I think it’s more timing then anything. I think the Canes win out and go 4-2….. And make the playoffs. I also think we will give Rhea the best game they have had all year. I think we beat McMinn by 2 or 3 scores this week…….

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McMinn used the off week to their advantage with an important victory last week at Soddy Daisy. They caught the ball better...ran it better and mixed the play calling up a bit more. The defense is still not very good.

Its weird to say but McMinn must be successful throwing the ball to have a chance....the pass sets up the run for the Cherokees this year.

McMinn 31

East Hamilton 28

GO TRIBE!!!

I stated back in July that this would be a very tuff year for the Canes. I stated that we would be more then likely 1-4 going into the Cleveland game. I got called a sandbagger. At that time I had no idea that we would lose our QB. Gatewood has made changes tinkered with the offense all year and it is a slow process. Also like everyone else more so Cleveland we have had some major injuries in key areas. We have 4 games remaining @ McMinn, Soddy, Rhea, and @ Bradley. If we can win those 3 remaining district games we can get to 4-2 in the district I think that gets us in. Lenoir City got in with a 3-3 record and 5-5 over all last year. I also think Stone Memorial got in with near the same record. I also think the offense played pretty darn good in the second half vs. Cleveland and we got into a little grove. #6 got his first start at QB and position he has not played since 7th grade. We still had issues with some drop balls and I think it’s more timing then anything. I think the Canes win out and go 4-2….. And make the playoffs. I also think we will give Rhea the best game they have had all year. I think we beat McMinn by 2 or 3 scores this week…….

yep...you did say that it would be tough.....it was just hard to belieeve....

The Athens-based group is the worst around, bar none, in multiple sports.

It just amazes me how  "Fans" tend to think that officials in this area are bad, but you look at the Middle Tn schools message boards and they think their officials are awful as well!! I am a HS sports fan and have never officiated any sport period but i like to think i know a little about the rules.  But really i dont and neither do most of you.  The area refs (and i know a few) do this because they love the game of football and i can guarantee you none of them whether it be Chatt/Athens or whatever association make a call to try to determine Wins or losses. To beat it all..... They now get graded on every game for the $80-$90 or whatever their pay is for Friday night. Until we put on the stripes to see firsthand what it is like, we need to appreciate what they do. If we were all honest......We would admit most of our opinions of offiicals usually are determined if our team wins or loses.  FWIW  I know alot of good officials in this area.

It just amazes me how  "Fans" tend to think that officials in this area are bad, but you look at the Middle Tn schools message boards and they think their officials are awful as well!! I am a HS sports fan and have never officiated any sport period but i like to think i know a little about the rules.  But really i dont and neither do most of you.  The area refs (and i know a few) do this because they love the game of football and i can guarantee you none of them whether it be Chatt/Athens or whatever association make a call to try to determine Wins or losses. To beat it all..... They now get graded on every game for the $80-$90 or whatever their pay is for Friday night. Until we put on the stripes to see firsthand what it is like, we need to appreciate what they do. If we were all honest......We would admit most of our opinions of offiicals usually are determined if our team wins or loses.  FWIW  I know alot of good officials in this area.

I have never been to a football game in Athens, been to a baseball game and the umps were good. I have heard many stories from others mostly from my friends at Ooltewah about stories, this goes back some years. I have also heard stories from other schools (Soddy, and Cleveland) fans. But the one that really got me is from a now passed on coach from the Old Chattanooga Central and my father in-law also a Central coach in the 50's and 60's and they tell me it is the truth "the worst I have ever seen" "you better be up by 2 or 3 late or you will lose" So this goes back 50+ years so I guess where there is smoke there is some fire.

^My brother was on the Mcminn Central football team in the not so distant past and he always talks about the JV game they had with mcminn when he was a sophomore. The Chargers were only down by a few points and scored on a long TD run in the final minutes to go ahead but the refs threw a "phantom flag" as my brother told it. Apparently flags had also negated several charger tds in that game.

Edited by Governors91

Unlike last few years there is really not anyone key player or players. The team is pretty young 15 of the 22 starters are under classman. #9 DB is getting looks by D1 Schools and also the big center #71.

[/quote

McMinn is young as well. Against Soddy Daisy I counted 7 soph. on the field at one time to go along with 3 juniors and 1 senior. Our success seems to have come when we can throw and CATCH the ball. We have struggled with the CATCHING part of that equation.