2014 Division 2A State Tournament playoff.. who will make a run?

inthagap

BGA will roll. Webb will roll. Both will have tough semi final games and then most likely meet in the state championship if they can get by the two west teams. Haven't seen the west teams play. But I know BGA has a good squad. Even though their coach is an idiot and didnt want to finish the game against Webb because of a little rain. If these two teams meet in Cookeville for the gold ball, it will be a battle.

Everyone (if they have heard of Webb) west of Elizabethtown and east of Covington knows Webb plays down. I can't blame them, they were blown out of the water 38-7 this year by a very soft 3-3 in district play Baylor team. The whippin those boys would receive by the likes of Ensworth, BA, and MBA is enough to keep them were they are.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't mean he knows how to coach football. He is a big puss who wanted the game called because of a little rain. No one else in middle Tennessee had that problem. He wanted to cancel the game because his boys were starting to get knocked back. That is the real reason. That wing t was taking a toll!

And of course people start talking about Webb playing down. Good gosh. Pick something else to whine about. Webb has 35 players on their football team. They play in the classification that TSSAA put them in based on enrollment. Webb has about 40 more students than ECS and about 80 more than BGA. Both BGA and ECS have more football players than Webb. And that is what matters. The band members and artist do not help you win football games. They have more football players, just not as good. Quality>Quantity.

So stop. Just win.

Doesn't mean he knows how to coach football. He is a big puss who wanted the game called because of a little rain. No one else in middle Tennessee had that problem. He wanted to cancel the game because his boys were starting to get knocked back. That is the real reason. That wing t was taking a toll!   

Coach Batten had an awesome positive influence on my son and his teammates while he was at Ensworth and has continued to be an incredibly positive influence on the young men under his charge at BGA (both on and, more importantly, off the field).  I get the seasons a little mixed up, but I am pretty sure that he was the Ensworth defensive coordinator the last time Webb dared play Ensworth (final was 40-0 after Ensworth called in the dogs fairly early).  Ensworth had (and continues to have) less students than does Webb.

Perhaps if you had been coached by the likes of Coach Batten, you would not so casually throw disrespect around like you do.

Former Commodore Roc Batten named BGA Head Coach

Batten holds both undergraduate and Master's degrees from Vanderbilt.

spacer.gif6573154.jpegRoc Batten

spacer.gif

June 2, 2011

Former Vanderbilt defensive standout Roc Batten is the new head coach at Battle Ground Academy in Franklin, Tenn. 

Batten, who played at Vanderbilt from 1994 to 1998 and later coached the Commodores, has been at The Ensworth School since 2005. 

"BGA has a long and storied tradition of success on the football field and is recognized as a leading independent school in Middle Tennessee," said Batten. "I am honored to join the staff and look forward to coaching a great group next year. I have coached against these kids and know firsthand that we will be competing hard and making BGA proud of our football program." 

John Griffith, head of school at BGA, praised Batten's abilities in making the announcement. "We had an incredible pool of applicants ranging from long-time head coaches to college coaches. Roc quickly emerged as the leading candidate," said Griffith. 

"(Batten) has all of the attributes we were seeking in a head coach. He has a proven track record on the field of helping student-athletes maximize their abilities. He is a person of great character who sees the importance of developing all facets of young people. He also understands the unique opportunities provided by an independent school education and will assist in admissions, summer camps and other programs," Griffith added. 

As a Commodore junior in 1997, Batten was one of the team's top defensive players, contributing 52 tackles and three interceptions. During spring drills following the `97 season, Batten's playing career was cut short when he suffered nerve damage in his neck. 

Though out of uniform in 1998, Batten instead contributed as a student assistant coach. In 1999-2000, he was promoted to graduate assistant coach. In 2001, Batten was named to a full-time position, coaching Commodore outside linebackers and serving as recruiting coordinator. 

Batten has both his undergraduate and Master's degrees from Vanderbilt. He is a member of the American Football Coaches Association, Black Coaches Association and Bellevue Exchange Club. In addition, he is a board member of Who You With Ministries and H.O.Y.A.S. Foundation. He and his wife, Sone-Serae, have three children. 

At Ensworth, he was the defensive coordinator for the 2010 Division II AA football champions. In addition to coaching football, he served as Director of Service Learning, Admissions Assistant and Director of Summer programs. Prior to joining Ensworth, Batten served on the staff at Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville, which won two state championships during his tenure there. 

Edited by RedRobin1

Back on topic: I have Webb, ECS, BGA and FCS this week.  I think Davidson Academy will put up a better fight against Webb than most expect, but Webb's ability to control the ball and the clock will ultimately win out.  I also think FRA will give ECS a bit of a scare before ultimately succumbing by about two scores.  BGA should roll, while I hope FCS isn't looking past St. George's, because I expect that to be a fairly close game.

First off to call someone a puss on a web site behind a user name is tasteless! My son goes to BGA and I was also at that game. Coach Batten let the refs decide whether or not the game gets cancelled or continues. Also he let Webb's coaches which I am sure he is glad you (vols) don't represent find out what and how the outcome would affect his squad. The storm was pretty bad and know one including you probably wasn't sure if it would stop. He as a coach also has to take into consideration how the field was affected by the storm. Two issues, one will players get hurt on the surface and two repairs that the field would need afterwards. You may not agree that those are issues but that's what coaches have to take in mind. Furthermore as far as his boys getting knocked back maybe you were watching a different game because both teams were smashing each other. Maybe you also missed the play where the QB for BGA jumped over the corners head on his way to the end zone and was flagged for leaving his feet. That was a great game and it came down to the last 16 seconds. I credit Webb and their coaches. Maybe if we play again you will feel big enough to Coach Batten a puss to his face. Maybe if you come find me ( Ryan Simpson ) not scared to give you my name you could try calling me a puss. Doubt it though!

I bet you are a bad man Ryan Simpson haha. So tough.

But the player was flagged for jumping over the safety ( not corner, not sure if you were watching a different game) because that is a flag. Read the rulebook.

But back to the games. Is St. Georges not strong this year? FCS was weak this year. At least when they played Webb they were. Hard to believe that they would beat St. Georges but I haven't seen those West teams play.

Not reading a bio on a high school coach that is 20 pages long.

Most would recognize that bio as less than one page and I can't believe that you don't have the spine and/or integrity to read it since the subject is a person that you feel you can casually libel.  Guess that Webb education provides neither rigorous academic nor moral training.  Doesn't seem like your parents are getting anywhere near their money's worth.  If you represent the typical Webb student/graduate, it is not surprising that Webb plays down so that they can win "championships".  

What is the matchup for BGA to roll Redrobin? QB vs DB's? OL vs DL? What is your analysis?

Both score about the same and point differential is approximately 15 points on the season. DCA lost to Webb in a torrential downpour after traveling their while having both TBs, OT, C and G out. BGA also played Webb without their GA Tech commit.

The FRA game is always close for DCA as it's their biggest rival and DCA scored 56 against DA to BGAs 47. Webb completely outplayed DCA but the FRA/DA scores are similar.

The scout on BGA is if their QB can make the plays needed to beat DCA. DCAs line is much bigger now that their 6'3" 320 NT/OT is back playing after a six week absence. Also, both TBs for DCA (21,1) are healthy and their passing game is statistically playing extremely well the last few weeks.

I don't know much about BGA other than DCA beating them last season so any insight as to why you believe they will roll is appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Playerscoach

Not reading a bio on a high school coach that is 20 pages long.

Webb must be proud.

1. It's less then a page long (not 20). Math problems at Webb?

2. It addresses and disproves yours idea that Coach Batten is a puss. Comprehension (look it up) problems at Webb?

3. It has a picture so the Webb students/Alumni could at least get that far.