Cleveland @ Oak Ridge

tnchad1980

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins??

• Cleveland
    • Oak Ridge

From City Scope 2014 High School Football Preview magazine:

SCHEDULE - COACH'S VIEW

Ron Crawford << We have a very challenging schedule that includes six class 6-A teams, a Division II power, and three class 5-A teams that played deep into the play-offs. It will be competitive each and every week. Our staff is excited about coaching this group because their attitude and effort all off-season and spring practice has been outstanding.>>

COACH'S CORNER

Q. How would you characterize this year's team?

A. I believe we can be very competitive in our district and in the play-offs if we can develop some depth and stay healthy.

Q. What will be keys to success?

A. Our QB must take care of the football and play within himself. We need our receivers to be as dependable as last year's and continue to run behind an experienced offensive line. Defensively we must play at the effort necessary to compete in our district. Our kicking game returns two young men that have a lot of experience so we expect improvement in that area.

Q. Who will be key leaders on the team?

A. Our senior class will be our leaders. There are 24 that have been in our program since our staff came to Cleveland.

Q. What are your biggest reasons for optimism?

A. Our senior class is an outstanding group of young men that we look forward to working with.

Q. Will we see anything different this year?

A. We will be very similar schematically as our previous two years.

Q. What can you build on from last year?

A. Depth in the line on both sides of the ball is a concern.

Five players were pictured in the article:

# 42 Zach Lee P SR

# 73 Andrew Lowe OL/DL SR

#28 TJ Parker RB/DB JR

# 8 Raekwon Bunion RB/DB SR

# 55 Koran Kennedy OL/DL SR

Here is the Chattanooga Times-Free Press article for the Clinton vs Cleveland game. The first thing that stood out to me was  Coach Kerr saying Cleveland was the fastest team Clinton had played this season.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/nov/08/cleveland-clips-clinton-despite-injury-absences/?sportspreps

Cleveland clips Clinton despite injury absences

CLEVELAND, Tenn. — Even as the amount of talent walking the Cleveland sideline in street clothes due to injuries rivaled the talent on the field during the 2014 season, the Blue Raiders have found ways to be competitive.

Friday night was no different.

The Blue Raiders relied on their defense and received some timely plays from their offense in earning a hard-fought 10-7 win over Clinton in the first round of the Class 5A state playoffs at Raider Field.

The win earns Cleveland (6-5) a date next Friday at 11-0 Oak Ridge, which defeated Soddy-Daisy 53-28.

Cleveland played Friday night without quarterback and linebacker Austin Massey and second-leading rusher Raekwon Bunion, plus three other starters. Running back T.J. Parker finished with 107 yards on 25 carries but admitted that nothing came easy for the Cleveland offense.

"Clinton definitely prepared for the run. They knew every play we were running," Parker said. "They knew it was coming, but we kept running the same plays and the offensive line finally was able to overpower them. This was a fight the whole way. We had to work the whole game to get this win, and that makes it much sweeter because we worked for it."

Jake Gibson, who started in place of Massey at quarterback, completed 70 percent of his 20 passes for 114 yards. His best throw of the night came on the team's first possession, as he hit Isaiah Beaty in stride for a 19-yard touchdown after an 11-yard punt by Clinton.

The Raiders added a 23-yard field goal by Brandon Romero in the final minute of the first half, but the Dragons (7-4) answered on the second possession of the second half, with quarterback Tyler Thackerson completing a 25-yard pass to J'Quan Thomas to cut the lead to 10-7.

An interception by Isaiah Vibbert with 7:09 remaining gave the Dragons the ball, but after an 11-yard run by Thackerson gave them a first down, a false start pushed them back and they didn't recover, punting back to the Raiders.

"I thought we'd get one more shot," Clinton coach Josh Kerr said. "Our defense had been playing well, but Cleveland made a couple of big plays when they needed them."

The biggest play of the drive was a 7-yard completion on a third-and-6 from Gibson to Beaty, who wiggled his way to the Clinton 29-yard line. Parker gained another first down, and Cleveland held on despite some tempers flaring in the game's final moments.

The Dragons, who came into the game averaging 409.4 yards per game, were limited to 62 yards rushing and 197 total. Cleveland was credited with three sacks -- two by Zack Brammer and the third by Rod Dennard.

"It was good to see our defense be consistent tonight," Cleveland coach Ron Crawford said. "I'm super proud of the guys; the expectation was for them to play well. This was a real team win."

The Dragons lose 22 seniors from a team that improved from a winless 2011 to a seven-win season this year.

"Our kids fought," Kerr said. "We hadn't seen that type of speed this year. Cleveland's record doesn't show the quality of football team they have. We were a little shell-shocked early, and we left some points on the field."

Beaty had four catches for 62 yards for the Raiders, while Thomas was the leading receiver for the Dragons with seven grabs for 57 yards

Edited by WillieTheWildcat

SD was a very balanced offense coming into the game tonight. Probably the best O that we have seen the whole year, which is kind of sad to a point.

Sad? You sound like bladerunner. That was the best QB and receiving core that I've seen in years. Also, the offensive did a great job of protecting the QB. The running back was quick as a hiccup. I'll say the it's the best offense I've seen in the last few years and I'm not sad to say that.

Sad? You sound like bladerunner. That was the best QB and receiving core that I've seen in years. Also, the offensive did a great job of protecting the QB. The running back was quick as a hiccup. I'll say the it's the best offense I've seen in the last few years and I'm not sad to say that.

If SD was the best offense you have seen. You will think Ooltewah looks like the Denver Broncos if they make it past Rhea. You guys should roll over Cleveland but the next game will be a big test no matter who you play. Both teams are very good.

If SD was the best offense you have seen. You will think Ooltewah looks like the Denver Broncos if they make it past Rhea. You guys should roll over Cleveland but the next game will be a big test no matter who you play. Both teams are very good.

I agree. If Soddy is the best Offense that the Wildcats have seen in years- then they about to see trouble ahead .. Not to say The OR D will not step up. I heard that had one of their best D guys out.

I would agree that if we play either team that it will be a big test for us....and for them!

Don't think Cleveland suffered any significant injuries this week.  Hopefully, the ones out can heal up and at least some be ready to return next week.

Defense will have a bigger challenge and offense will need to be a little more creative and less predictable if we're to have a chance.

LOL...I'll take predictable and scoring 53 points any night!

I agree. If Soddy is the best Offense that the Wildcats have seen in years- then they about to see trouble ahead .. Not to say The OR D will not step up. I heard that had one of their best D guys out.

You guys make it sound like the Soddy offense is just average. Outside of many state championships has your district EVER won? I can only think of three, although I may be wrong.

Edited by catswild