Rossview vs Whitehaven

dannyq

Kidover:

I'm sorry the band playing during the game left a sour taste in your mouth but it's common practice with the 'urban programs' in Memphis. It's a part of our culture. It may seem classless to you, but it's part of the atmosphere for us. Our band plays, and if your school has a band, they play. I read where you saw your coach wave the band off. That's your perrogative. I know you were rasied to think this is classless. It's part of the atmosphere for us. We are different like that. (Your culture and upbringing and our culture and upbringing) You say classless ... we say atmosphere. Different.

Our band goes on the road with us during the play-offs (2011 to MJ) and during the championship games we played in 2011, and 2012. They played their hearts out in MJ in 2011. They played their rear-ends off in the championship games in 2011 and 2012. It's what they do. They go and they play. They march and they perform in the stands as well as on the field.

This isn't the first time someone from an opposing team has been upset, and probably won't be the last. If you have never experienced it first hand, especially with the QUALITY of sound the Whitehaven band produces, you would be offended. Especially if you were taught NOT to play football in that manner. I understand your frustration and I'm sorry you think that Whitehaven is classless because of our culture.

Great game by your team and I hope your team gets to come back to Memphis and experience that atmposphere again in the future in 5A, and maybe you can see it from our POV.

Anywho, I'm glad you came down and witnessed the stadium and the fans and the team and our city. LOL ... I read where you didn't expect to see what you saw. I'm glad you were at least pleased with the surroundings.

Good game.

Edited by kwc

I think the band adds great atmosphere. I know the MJ fans were impressed with the Da Haven band when they came to MJ and how they played. Again the same; when Mt Juliet went to Whitehaven in 2012.

Great band and fun to listen too.

Funny thing is the when Mt Juliet went to Hendersonville this year; the MJ band played when the Bears had the ball. I have never had seen that before. 

How many teams can say their own band plays; when they have the ball and at the opponents home field. Maybe a first.

Edited by BKisler

Too much talk about bands. WH had best team and won. Overall good HS atmosphere. Yes I was taught differently and from a different age as well, but as kwc said, different doesn't make wrong, just different.

I am glad that we got to play there and I was able to attend.

I'm also glad that your team got a chance to come and play at 'The Haven'. I'm also glad that you and your fans/parents/student body were able to attend. You guys brought quite a few and that was pleasing to see. You guys represented Distirct 10 well.

Edited by kwc

Why are we even entertaining this clown, Kidover. Obviously he has a problem with how a predominantly black school/band does things. Using comments like "ghetto music" instead of hip hop or popular music are blatant racial and inappropiate. The thing about it is that the Whitehaven band is not even ghetto on any level!! They have real QUALITY sound and their formations are sharp and precise. So what is your real issue.

Not that we have to impress people like you. But why did you come in with low expectations of what you saw at Whitehaven? Just curious?

The facts are that Rossview lost. It was a good game with a great atmosphere. The only one who has a problem is Kidover and people like Kidover. I had no opinion of Rossview, but now I am starting to see why people on this board have issues with some Rossview fans.

Edited by lasal2000

I dont think its fair to judge a whole team or school by a few people's opinion. I enjoyed the trip to WH, the atmosphere and the game. I think using the term ghetto is definitely inappropriate. Its like someone from WH saying country music is trailer trash music. It is a cultural thing and that doesnt make it wrong. I do have one question for any WH fans...i could be wrong but i did not see harldly, if any students attend the game..mostly adults and small children. Is there any reason for that. Stratford High was the same way. I personally dont think that is fair to the students or the team but that is just my opinion.

First this guy calls us classless, now we play ghetto music. ..lol...I won't stoop to entertain that non sense because I know people like pops don't feel that way. ..I just have one rhetorical question for this guy. If we played ghetto music, and I did notice alot of yalls students black and white were dancing and having a good time to our ghetto music, then what does that make your students???? Just ponder that a while. ....now on to the next. We have Arlington Friday nite. Good people of rossview, good luck to you guys in 5a next year. Well except when you play a Memphis team!!!!:)

I dont think its fair to judge a whole team or school by a few people's opinion. I enjoyed the trip to WH, the atmosphere and the game. I think using the term ghetto is definitely inappropriate. Its like someone from WH saying country music is trailer trash music. It is a cultural thing and that doesnt make it wrong. I do have one question for any WH fans...i could be wrong but i did not see harldly, if any students attend the game..mostly adults and small children. Is there any reason for that. Stratford High was the same way. I personally dont think that is fair to the students or the team but that is just my opinion.

Normally our stands are full but it was only half full this time. Maybe it was the cold who knows. It has nothing to do with bein fair it's their choice to come or not. But there was plenty of kids there, were probably bundled up under blankets tryin to keep warm. If we make it back to cookeville, trust me just like 2012, we will pack our side out...

Answers to questions/comments in no particular order

Band was great musically and disciplined, it was funny to see the scramble to their instruments when Rossview got a turnover to start playing

Never said they were playing ghetto music of any kind, go back an re read...suggested that type of music as a possibility from the PA as an alternative ( many of my African American friends taught me the term, not original to me)

Expectations of my visit were set by former Memphis residents who said it was a great place to be from and not go back there, happen to disagree with them now having visited the area

My schools were all about 50 percent of each race, best friends remain that way...still cannot understand how the government there allows lack of integration, hurts all people, it's called busing....I road a bus for 12 years

Our coaches are mostly African American, terrific coaches best in school history

Best to WH , perhaps you all might make a trip to Rossview sometime

Regarding the class statement, I was raised in a different time, where such behavior was frowned upon, and I guess still is in some quarters...as another noted , some would say it's the different way....I personally think we are letting the children down and sending wrong message, but that's one view as I stated

Sure has been entertaining

Edited by Kidover

I have been busy as a Mug moving and doing Fraternity stuff, plus my Laptop acting wack....

My final thoughts are we likely tried to GIVE Rossview the game and Rossview wasn't good enough to truly take advantage, sorry for ya. Enjoy Basketball Season and putting that gear in MOTH BALLS.  It's nice to know some folks enjoyed their journey down Elvis Presley Blvd. We won't be LEAVING Da Haven until Cookeville. The Semifinals will be in the 38116 so to the individual saying we'll need luck when we "leave the area", you're wrong bruh. Jordan Williams is showing why he's special I see. I hope we tighten up offensively and beat those Other Tigers more convincingly so the JV guys can get a little Playoff PT! Read my Signature.. Where did you travelers eat?

And I'm gone.