Ensworth vs Mus

drewpearson

George Q along with Ricky B have the 2 best coaching staffs in the state. No offense to the other fine coaches out there but they just know how to make adjustments as the game ebbs and flows. They know how to win with what they have and they know how to exploit opponents weakness. If they have talent similar to or slightly below other teams they still find a way to win.

George Quarles is smart enough -- and his teams consistent enough -- to be competitive against any DII team late in the year.

But I politely chuckle at those who think Fulton or Alcoa could hang with BA, MBA, Ensworth or MUS. Once they realized they couldn't just run up the gut for eleven yards per carry against d-lines with players faster than their backs...it would be over.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

George Q along with Ricky B have the 2 best coaching staffs in the state. No offense to the other fine coaches out there but they just know how to make adjustments as the game ebbs and flows. They know how to win what they have and they know how to exploit another teams weakness.

My point remains - playing a sched like the schools in DII AA play is unlike any other in the state or many other states for that matter.  the level of play is superlative.   

My point remains - playing a sched like the schools in DII AA play is unlike any other in the state or many other states for that matter. the level of play is superlative.

Could Maryville hang with any DII team on a given Friday? Probably. But I'll agree that the Rebels would struggle against the weekly grind if they found themselves stuck in DII. People look at some teams in the league and wonder why they're inconsistent. One main answer: It's the parity that exists (below the top spot, for the most part).

Oakland did beat Baylor this year and Oakland lost to Blackman and Maryville. Seems many top tier public schools would and do compete well with privates. I also believe Oakland has 6 DI senior players. This is not delusions of grandeur. I do agree DII from top to bottom is superior to other classifications, however, there is some disparity in any classification. I firmly believe the 3 publics mentioned could compete with anyone in DII this year and win most and maybe one could win all. I guess we will never know...

Edited by TheRealTruth

I agree .. I never bought into the thought that the top teams in 6a could not compete with the top teams in d2. Oakland has a lot of athletes but they were one dimensional against a good team . If the Blackman QB had been on this Oakland team then I imagine they would be a different animal to deal with offensively . No disrespect to their QB but he was thrown into a difficult environment ..

Pearl Cohn played MBA well this year - science hill played BA toe to toe and Oakland beat baylor 17-10 in an ugly game. I think what most of the private posters are saying is the week end and week out grind of playing in d2 would more than likely make it very difficult for any team in the state to go undefeated . look at the catholic league south in Ohio. They are rated top league in us ( d2 is 5 ) no undefeated team in that league this year . Every now and then you'll see Moeller - or St. X run the table but it's never blowout after blowout .its easy to say you are really good when you don't play anyone to prove it. I am not saying this is the case regarding any of the teams in the public divisions just that an 8-3 Moeller could very well beat any of the undefeated or 1 loss teams in our state. Records mean something but they do not tell you much about matchups and may not tell you much about how good a team is. at least on this level ...

To Maryvilles credit , I don't see any of the long time guys on here bragging or saying they could beat anyone else. Rebelron I am sure you are just defending your turf which is fine by me. I think they focus on where they are , who they play next and try to take care of business in order to win a gold ball . Maryville may have both end zones flying state championship flags from end to end before GQ is done there. He doesn't seem consumed with an ego so I imagine this type thing means zip to him. Its fun to talk about and ponder but it's fantasy island for the most part.

What I do believe to be true is this . You have to bring your A game almost every week during conference play in d2 especially this year.....as I mentioned Oakland only beat baylor by 7 and made it to the semis in 6a. Baylor lost to BA - Ensworth - McCallie - MBA in D2. Two of the 4 games were absolute blowouts . They lost 5 games but still were a solid team -

Middle of the pack in d2 this year- Baylor would more than likely have been favored over most 6 a teams except the ones who played last week and possibly blackman . EVERY team has had its moments this year and if a team has a moment or bad quarter or 2 in this league when they play the meat of the schedule they get beat. I will say this a million times but BA was about 10 minutes from being undefeated during the regular season this year .. The first 4 minutes of the MBA game -( and they still had a chance at the end of the game ) - Ensworth was knotted going into the 4th quarter and scored 2 tds in 3 minutes to put it away in the 4th quarter. BA could just as easily have lost against St X , Science Hill and Baylor and finished the year with 6 losses..Each of those games were back and forth. Such is life in our league.

........ Now if BA could win a few more championships

Oakland did beat Baylor this year and Oakland lost to Blackman and Maryville. Seems many top tier public schools would and do compete well with privates. I also believe Oakland has 6 DI senior players. This is not delusions of grandeur. I do agree DII from top to bottom is superior to other classifications, however, there is some disparity in any classification. I firmly believe the 3 publics mentioned could compete with anyone in DII this year and win most and maybe one could win all. I guess we will never know...

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

I agree .. I never bought into the thought that the top teams in 6a could not compete with the top teams in d2. Oakland has a lot of athletes but they were one dimensional against a good team . If the Blackman QB had been on this Oakland team then I imagine they would be a different animal to deal with offensively . No disrespect to their QB but he was thrown into a difficult environment ..

Pearl Cohn played MBA well this year - science hill played BA toe to toe and Oakland beat baylor 17-10 in an ugly game. I think what most of the private posters are saying is the week end and week out grind of playing in d2 would more than likely make it very difficult for any team in the state to go undefeated . look at the catholic league south in Ohio. They are rated top league in us ( d2 is 5 ) there was not an undefeated team in that league . Every now and then you'll see Moeller - or St. X run the table but it's never blowout after blowout .its easy to say you are really good when you don't play anyone to prove it. I am not saying this is the case regarding any of the teams in the public divisions just that an 8-3 Moeller could very well beat any of the undefeated or 1 loss teams in our state. Records mean something but they do not tell you much about matchups and may not tell you much about how good a team is. In the end this is just high school football .. It's not being played for money and it should be fun for the kids and us parents

To Maryvilles credit , I don't see any of the long time guys on here bragging or saying they could beat anyone else. Rebelron I am sure you are just defending your turf which is fine by me. I think they focus on where they are , where they play and try to take care of business in order to win a gold ball . Maryville may have both end zones flying state championship flags from end to end before GQ is done there. He doesn't seem consumed with an ego so I imagine this type thing means zip to him. Its fun to talk about and ponder but it's fantasy island for the most part.

You have to bring your A game every week during conference play in d2 especially this year.....as I mentioned Oakland only beat baylor by 7 and made it to the semis in 6a. Baylor lost to BA - Ensworth - McCallie - MBA in D2. Two of the 4 games were absolute blowouts . They lost 5 games but still were a solid team -

Middle of the pack in d2 this year- Baylor would more than likely have been favored over most 6 a teams except the ones who played last week and possibly blackman . EVERY team has had its moments this year and if a team has a moment or bad quarter or 2 in this league when they play the meat of the schedule they get beat. I will say this a million times but BA was about 10 minutes from being undefeated during the regular season this year .. The first 4 minutes of the MBA game -( and they still had a change at the end of the game ) - Ensworth was knotted going into the 4th quarter and and they scored 2 tds in 3 minutes to put it away.

Then again they say a strong schedule makes a team better so if one of the publics could run the table in D2 I would not enjoy playing that team at the end of the year.

I agree wholeheartedly. I believe Hillsboro, Fulton and a handful of others would compete well with DII pending year to year. There is more consistency and depth typically in DII whereas we see a more cyclical teams in DI. I will also add the week to week grind can be viewed from another angle. DI has 55-60 teams per class (6A moving to 32 next year) with 4-5 being top tier whereas DII has 11 with 4-5 being top tier. DII has more commonality of opponents and therefore can plan, scheme and break down coaching tendencies more readily per week. It can be argued that the bottom 4-5 in DII would have only marginal success in a 5A/6A district and that week to week grind looks less impressive. Edited by TheRealTruth

Coach George Q. was boat raced last year 35-0 at the half by Ensworth. It wasn't even competitive. Just be objective folks.

Subjectively speaking, scrimmages are used to evaluate objectively. Objectively speaking, 4A Pearl Cohn put up 40 points on MBAs defense, a DII finalist. My assessment, unknown causes of both. Plan is we should see more games between public and privates with new system. Will we....

Subjectively speaking, scrimmages are used to evaluate objectively. Objectively speaking, 4A Pearl Cohn put up 40 points on MBAs defense, a DII finalist. My assessment, unknown causes of both. Plan is we should see more games between public and privates with new system. Will we....

Most DII coaches would give their right index fingers to schedule strong in-state teams. Props to Science Hill, Liberty, Pearl-Cohn and the other select few squads who don't hesitate to schedule us. They are in the minority. I would love to see more good public-private matchups.

Coach George Q. was boat raced last year 35-0 at the half by Ensworth. It wasn't even competitive. Just be objective folks.

Preseason scrimmages are hardly fair points of comparison. Would Ensworth have beaten Maryville in November? I'd bet so. But it wouldn't be a blowout, I assure you of that.