Webb vs BGA

Vols12345678

Glad to hear that BGA is in the right classification. Does seem a little odd that they won boys basketball state and now possibly a football state the first year of D2 A.

It would be nice if BGA did win it this year considering that Webb has won a gold ball in football 4 of the 5 years since moving down.  Webb won the silver ball the other of those years and is guaranteed at least a silver this year.  Can't be much fun for the "small schools" in that division against whom Webb "competes".  

One would think that Webb would want to challenge itself by moving up (since we hear ad nauseum about how they just love to compete against the best competition) or that the TSSAA would wisen up and move the enrollment classification for D2-A down to 400 so that the other schools would actually get a chance to play for a championship against similar schools.  Kinda shows how much the TSSAA cares about D2 that they let this situation languish indefinitely.

HAHAHAHA the talk about which division Webb should be in starts again.

GET OVER IT! YOU AREN'T GOING TO CHANGE IT.

BGA has more football players than Webb.

ECS has more football players than Webb.

And Webb beats both of them on the reg. 

Good luck on Thursday bud. Hopefully that awesome coach of yours is preparing well.

HAHAHAHA the talk about which division Webb should be in starts again.

GET OVER IT! YOU AREN'T GOING TO CHANGE IT.

BGA has more football players than Webb.

ECS has more football players than Webb.

And Webb beats both of them on the reg.

Good luck on Thursday bud. Hopefully that awesome coach of yours is preparing well.

So how many championships did you when in D2 AA? NONE!!!!

BGA is a legitimate D2-A school (enrollment per TSSAA: 326) that was playing over their heads (and actually doing fairly well) before moving down last year.  Knox Webb, on the other hand (enrollment per TSSAA: 471), is by far the largest school in the division and actually has more students than Ensworth and about the same as Brentwood Academy.  They have become quite adept at beating the pants off of schools less than half their size.  However, unlike BGA, Webb was totally unable to compete at the higher level (did not win a district game their final year) and moved down as soon as they were able. 

No shame on BGA - they are competing against schools similar in size and philosophy.   Wonder how many of those gold balls Webb would be bragging about if schools such as Ensworth and BA decided "to play in the division that the TSSAA put them in" as our Knox Webb friends are fond of saying?

Webb has more students then Ensworth? Wow, that speaks a lot of Ensworth or very little about Webb.

I just don't understand how you all don't understand. 

Its not how many students you have that wins football games. It is how many football players you have. Webb didn't have the backing of their old president. He didn't support football and it made it hard to get kids on the team.

Webb literally has 35 players on their roster this year including freshman. No Webb couldn't win the large division 2. No shot with 35 players. If you showed me a team in the state with 35 players that could win the large division 2 then I want to see them. There is no school Webb's size that still picks to play one of the large division 2 teams and a 6a team in Maryville. 

The argument is not there. Webb has 35 players. Can't win and compete in the large division. Plain and simple. Webb has just as many football players as the other schools in the small division 2. Get more talented and beat them. It can be done, trust me. 

We (BGA) actually could have won basketball last year in either single or double A. They beat Ensworth pretty good during regular season. But back to football. As much as it's hard for me to do, I agree with Vols, I think Webb is where they should be. Last year when we played them I really think I only counted around 24 or so players on their team. I for one wouldn't want to see them go back up. They are a good, well disciplined good coached team every year and that's what everyone should strive for. You don't or at least I haven't heard MBA or BA saying let's get rid of Ensworth. We can't just take all the number ones and move to their own bracket because eventually there will be a new number one for everyone to complain about and then what. I think we definitely fit in the single A not because of school size but because of our school philosophy. We fit here all around and I think that's why we are doing well. School size does matter but it can also hurt you. For example Glenciff high school, big Metro school but because of their cultural diversity they can only get about 30 to come out for football. You could make an argument that they should be reclassified. If that schools philosophy were to change and they really got that program to step up then they would fit where they are at. If Webb philosophy changed and they began to pull kids from some of the other schools in that area then maybe they could move back up, but for now I think they are the perfect team to chase, and hopefully in another great game on Thursday, beat!

Very well said Rhyno. 

I remember BGA having a good skill position kid that returned kickoffs. 

Their QB is a good athlete.

And then their big DE that had a pick six against Webb looked like a good ball player too. 

But the first game was just an odd game with it be real wet. Looks like it is going to be clear in Cookeville on Thursday. Setting up to be a dandy. 

Having seen both play this year, my thoughts on "the dropdown bowl".  BGA has a chance for the upset (let's face it, that's saying something,  few other teams in our division would have a chance).  if they can find a way to slow Webbs potent offense they (BGA) has the skill position guys to give Webb loads of trouble.  Tall and fast, if used correctly, they will score plenty of points.  Would be interesting to see what would happen if BGA somehow got out to a quick lead as Webbs O doesn't appear to be much of a passing attack.  If Webb can control the clock and rely on their line to pound the ball then BGA could be in trouble.  On the surface this looks like a close game.