Region 1

humorwrestling

Since the regional tournament is coming up very shortly I'm going to make my picks for the champions and how I think the top 4 teams will shake out.

106-Rodney Nelson-Tennessee High

113-Zach Bynum-David Crockett

120-Jose Blanco-Jefferson County

126-Bryson Hux-Jefferson County

132-Corbin Hurley-Tennessee High

138-Pendley/Carpentre will be great. Tough pick-THS/VOL

145-Bryson Henley-Tennessee High

152-Griffen Broyles-Morristown West

160-Joseph Begley-Dobyns Bennett

170-Dean/Rolston is a tough pick for me-DB/SH

182-Nguyen unless English drops.-SH/JC

195-Hunter Bagley-Science Hill

220-Michael Foster-Dobyns Bennett

285-Logan Townsend-Jefferson County

I believe the top 4 in the team race will wind up with 1.Jefferson County 2.Tennessee High 3. Science Hill 4. Dobyns Bennett. It wouldn't surprise me to see any of those 4 teams win in any order. They're all very close in talent this season.

NewCoach - I think you are overlooking DB just a bit.  I believe they are the team to beat at this point.  I count at least 5 finalists and maybe up to 7 at region.  I would not be surprised to see them qualify 10+ for state.  They have a group of kids who have tasted a Region Championship and know what it takes to win.  They always show up at the big tournaments.   Region will be won in the consolation rounds.  I agree there is a great deal of parity in the top 4.  Second through fourth in the team race will probably be separated by very few points. 

NewCoach - I think you are overlooking DB just a bit. I believe they are the team to beat at this point. I count at least 5 finalists and maybe up to 7 at region. I would not be surprised to see them qualify 10+ for state. They have a group of kids who have tasted a Region Championship and know what it takes to win. They always show up at the big tournaments. Region will be won in the consolation rounds. I agree there is a great deal of parity in the top 4. Second through fourth in the team race will probably be separated by very few points.

i feel like it will come down to who has the best weekend. Dobyns Bennett is a very strong dual team. I feel like your vikings, the hill, and Jeff co all have great tournament teams. I love how tightly contested the region becomes every year! It will be fun to watch it continue to grow.

NewCoach - I think you are overlooking DB just a bit. I believe they are the team to beat at this point. I count at least 5 finalists and maybe up to 7 at region. I would not be surprised to see them qualify 10+ for state. They have a group of kids who have tasted a Region Championship and know what it takes to win. They always show up at the big tournaments. Region will be won in the consolation rounds. I agree there is a great deal of parity in the top 4. Second through fourth in the team race will probably be separated by very few points.

I agree with DB maybe have more than two in the finals, but Tenn High will have a lot of points from 132-145. They are really tough wrestlers, which showed against Science Hill. The only thing is losing team points with not having someone at 20&26 at least. If they had someone there I would say just put them in the top 3. Science Hill even though lost to both Tenn High and DB should battle for a top spot. They have won over and over and because they know how to get points every match. Jeff County has a good team and talent. I do not how this plays out because of the talent that is the region now. This region tournament has probably been the deepest since all the schools were together! This is going to hopefully be the best one yet! Anybody can finish anywhere in this region. I wish the four best teams wrestled in the duals. Where is the region tournament anyway this year?

No doubt, not having someone at every weight class will hurt.  Actually, we won't have a 195 either--we had a jv wrestler fill in at 52 to allow us to bump in some duals but we won't be doing that for individual region.  Its hard to compete on this level in an individual tournament with only 11 wrestlers.  I am proud of our accomplishments so far this year, but I am also realistic.  We will battle to the end for every point but DB and SH both fill each weight class and will score points where we can't.  NewCoach is correct, it will come down to who has the best weekend and both DB and SH know how and when to show up when it matters. 

I agree with DB maybe have more than two in the finals, but Tenn High will have a lot of points from 132-145. They are really tough wrestlers, which showed against Science Hill. The only thing is losing team points with not having someone at 20&26 at least. If they had someone there I would say just put them in the top 3. Science Hill even though lost to both Tenn High and DB should battle for a top spot. They have won over and over and because they know how to get points every match. Jeff County has a good team and talent. I do not how this plays out because of the talent that is the region now. This region tournament has probably been the deepest since all the schools were together! This is going to hopefully be the best one yet! Anybody can finish anywhere in this region. I wish the four best teams wrestled in the duals. Where is the region tournament anyway this year?

Agreed. This is the deepest Region 1 has been since the split occurred. I expect those Hill coaches and wrestlers to have a chip on their shoulder and make a push for the individual crown. Tim has done a great job at TN High and they definitely have some that should walk away with region crowns. DB and Jeff will be right there and overall it will be a 4 team race. Look for Volunteer to have a couple (132/138) in the finals. They really have come a long way. Good to see the region getting deeper. What it will take to become ready for Franklin.

• Upvote 1

No doubt, not having someone at every weight class will hurt. Actually, we won't have a 195 either--we had a jv wrestler fill in at 52 to allow us to bump in some duals but we won't be doing that for individual region. Its hard to compete on this level in an individual tournament with only 11 wrestlers. I am proud of our accomplishments so far this year, but I am also realistic. We will battle to the end for every point but DB and SH both fill each weight class and will score points where we can't. NewCoach is correct, it will come down to who has the best weekend and both DB and SH know how and when to show up when it matters.

And you and Jeff county also show up too. Upsets happen and sometimes it only take one. Good luck to everyone. I would love to see state medals and a good dual showing at state

No doubt, not having someone at every weight class will hurt. Actually, we won't have a 195 either--we had a jv wrestler fill in at 52 to allow us to bump in some duals but we won't be doing that for individual region. Its hard to compete on this level in an individual tournament with only 11 wrestlers. I am proud of our accomplishments so far this year, but I am also realistic. We will battle to the end for every point but DB and SH both fill each weight class and will score points where we can't. NewCoach is correct, it will come down to who has the best weekend and both DB and SH know how and when to show up when it matters.

And you and Jeff county also show up too. Upsets happen and sometimes it only take one. Good luck to everyone. I would love to see state medals and a good dual showing at state