Region 1

humorwrestling

106-Nelson(TN) vs Williams(SH)

113-Bynum(DC) vs Burns(JC)

120-Myers(CC) vs Blanco(JC)

126-Hux(JC) vs Yother(SH)

132-Hurley(TN) vs Collins(JC)

138-Pendley(TN) vs Harerr(DB) or Porter(ME)

145-Henley(TN) vs Jeffers(DB), Harville(JC) or Austin(SH)

152-Broyles(MW) vs Jeffers(DB)

160-Begley(DB) vs Jessee(SH) or Spangler(TN)

170-Dean(DB) vs Rolston(SH)

182-Nguyen(SH) vs English(JC)

195-Bagley(SH) vs Hall(BOONE)

220-Foster(DB) vs Davis(MW)

285-Townsend(JC) vs Ruth(DB) or Hess(MW)

My best guess guys! I'd love to hear comments on my list or see other poster's lists! I love this time of year! 106:I believe this will be a great match! Williams has really stepped up this year! Very tough kid. 113: Bynum has his hands full with Burns. Very interesting bout. 120:If Blanco winds up wrestling I feel like he is a lock over Myers. 126:Hux should pick up the title. Yother will pose problems for him him, however. 132:Hurley. Everyone knows he's a lock but Collins is tough and can stay in those tight matches. 138:Pendley should major in the finals no matter if it's against Porter or Harerr. 145:Toughest weight in the region. Henley has the edge after winning the title last year but I think its honestly anyone's bracket to win. 152:Broyles and Jeffers could be a good match. Im not sure if Jeffers can withstand Broyles offense and gas tank. 160:Begley. I'm not sure if anyone can stop him at this point very solid. On the otherhand I think Jessee(who I honestly think is a lock for the finals) should be able to keep it close with the right game plan. He definitely has the coaching staff for that.170:I say Dean wins it at this very moment but do not count Rolston out. If there is a "Best Match" award at regions this will win it. 182:English has wins over Begley and the older Spangler. This kid can wrestle! I have him beating Nguyen on a minor dec. 195:Bagley will win no matter who steps in his way. 220:Foster should pin his way to the title here. 285:Probably Towndsend vs Ruth again but Hess can hang with either of them. Excited to watch this weight. Tell me what you guys think!

Edited by newcoach215
  • Upvote 1

How I currently see the top 2 in each weight based on previous results, facts, and rumors:

106- Nelson (TN) & Williams (SH)

113- Bynum (DC) & McCray (TN)

120- Story (SH) & (JC kid)

126- Hux (JC) & Yother (SH)

132- Hurley (TN) & Lane (SH)

138- Pendley (TN) & Armstrong (VOL)

145- Charpentrer (VOL) & Henley (TN)

152- Jeffers (DB) & Broyles (MW)

160- Begley (DB) & Jesse (SH)

170- Rolston (SH) & Dean (DB)

182- Nguyen (SH) & ???

195- Bagley (SH) & English (JC)

220- Foster (DB) & Hagerman (TN)

HWT- Ruth (DB) & Townsend (JC)

106: Surprisingly, I think this is the most competitive weight this season. It's my understanding that Burns (JC) will drop to 106. Throw in him and the funky freshman, Dillon Lemons (DB), there should be some good semis and placement matches.

113: If Burns doesn't end up dropping, he's the other finalist here. Bynum won the first matchup 6-2. Otherwise, maybe McCray (TN) slides in there?

120: SH Freshman Luke Story is no joke. The ultimate preview of the young ones to come in the next few years. No one else had really stood out to me. I assume whoever JC puts out there could be in the finals (Blanco, English, Harris). Story beat Harris 13-0 at their dual.

132: Lane beat Collins a couple times last season I believe.

138: Armstrong from Volunteer looks solid, and has already recorded a major (9-1) over Porter. I'm sure this is partly because of his new training partner he got in the room this year....

145: That new training partner goes by the name of Charpentrer (not a misstype). I have been told him and his brother are transfers from Colorado. Not 100% on that, but the kid is definitely a solid wrestler. He should make the finals and it'll be a tough match between him and Henley.

182: English at 182 I will believe when I see it. He was still a full 194.8 (give or take some tenths) at the SH dual. Didn't look to be on his way down anytime soon. If he does though, it'll be a good one. AK will be welcoming the challenge as Hunter was. I really tried to fill every spot with a guess, but I really have no other name that comes to mind. No one else has stood out to me yet.

195: Believe English will stay 195. No one else stands out.

Edited by KingGreene
  • Upvote 1

How I currently see the top 2 in each weight based on previous results, facts, and rumors:

106- Nelson (TN) & Williams (SH)

113- Bynum (DC) & McCray (TN)

120- Story (SH) & (JC kid)

126- Hux (JC) & Yother (SH)

132- Hurley (TN) & Lane (SH)

138- Pendley (TN) & Armstrong (VOL)

145- Charpentrer (VOL) & Henley (TN)

152- Jeffers (DB) & Broyles (MW)

160- Begley (DB) & Jesse (SH)

170- Rolston (SH) & Dean (DB)

182- Nguyen (SH) & ???

195- Bagley (SH) & English (JC)

220- Foster (DB) & Hagerman (TN)

HWT- Ruth (DB) & Townsend (JC)

106: Surprisingly, I think this is the most competitive weight this season. It's my understanding that Burns (JC) will drop to 106. Throw in him and the funky freshman, Dillon Lemons (DB), there should be some good semis and placement matches.

113: If Burns doesn't end up dropping, he's the other finalist here. Bynum won the first matchup 6-2. Otherwise, maybe McCray (TN) slides in there?

120: SH Freshman Luke Story is no joke. The ultimate preview of the young ones to come in the next few years. No one else had really stood out to me. I assume whoever JC puts out there could be in the finals (Blanco, English, Harris). Story beat Harris 13-0 at their dual.

132: Lane beat Collins a couple times last season I believe.

138: Armstrong from Volunteer looks solid, and has already recorded a major (9-1) over Porter. I'm sure this is partly because of his new training partner he got in the room this year....

145: That new training partner goes by the name of Charpentrer (not a misstype). I have been told him and his brother are transfers from Colorado. Not 100% on that, but the kid is definitely a solid wrestler. He should make the finals and it'll be a tough match between him and Henley.

182: English at 182 I will believe when I see it. He was still a full 194.8 (give or take some tenths) at the SH dual. Didn't look to be on his way down anytime soon. If he does though, it'll be a good one. AK will be welcoming the challenge as Hunter was. I really tried to fill every spot with a guess, but I really have no other name that comes to mind. No one else has stood out to me yet.

195: Believe English will stay 195. No one else stands out.

English weighed in at 194?? Wow. To be honest he looked a little small for the weight. I figured he was around 190-88 and planned to make the decent. Regardless he should make the finals wherever he goes. I personally feel like Jeff Co. Has a better shot at the team title with Hills at 220 Lathem at 195 and English at 182. But hey I'm not the coach nor the athelete.

didn't mean to overlook Latham at 220 or wherever he ends up, he is a good kid strong and fit and improved from beginning to end last year, also forgot Armstrong at 138 definitely the physically strongest kid at that weight in the region and has some skills, yep should be in finals, also forgot not intentionally the 145 at Volunteer saw him once but remember now he impressed me.  English was bigger then Hunter, looked at the film to confirm it, probably a tough drop on his frame...  With Hunter and Ankuah pushing each other they are going to be a tough one two punch for bonus points in the regionals, and Rolston may be the most improved wrestler I have seen this year in understanding pins are better than points in the end...

• Upvote 1

I believe that Coach Hollingshead's intention is to drop Latham and English. Latham seemed to be on track to make the decent. Don't know what the plan would be if English didn't make it down to 184. If the drop does happen, Latham could be the #2 at 195. So far in the duals, Latham and Hills have been splitting matches at 220.

• Upvote 1

I believe that Coach Hollingshead's intention is to drop Latham and English. Latham seemed to be on track to make the decent. Don't know what the plan would be if English didn't make it down to 184. If the drop does happen, Latham could be the #2 at 195. So far in the duals, Latham and Hills have been splitting matches at 220.

i figured that is what they planned. Sometimes they just don't end up happening its tough to ask someone to lose 10 lbs and still wrestle to the same level. On the other hand when I've seen English wrestle at 95 he gasses quickly. Maybe it would work in his favor?

The Hill traveled down to SC for the Riverside Duals and won the tournament with a 5-0 record. The young kids on the team really stepped up when called upon. In the semis The Hill was able to win the dual 66-10 with 6 freshman and 2 sophomores in the lineup and won the finals in a close fought victory of 36-32 with one less freshman! The victory would not have been possible if it weren't for some of the freshman fighting off extra bonus points. It was very encouraging and exciting to watch.

On the way down to SC the team was also able to watch the semi and consi semi rounds of the Southern Scuffle as well as hang out with Cornell wrestlers Gabe Dean and Nahshon Garrett thanks to former Cornell and Baylor wrestler Corey Manson who spends a lot of time in our room helping out. It was a definitely a fun and memorable weekend for the Toppers!

TN High finished 3rd at the Bristol Brawl with 8 top 4 finishers. Trent Nelson, and Dewey Pendley were tournament champions. Corbin Hurley, Bryson Henley and Austin Hagerman also made the finals and finished 2nd.

DB finished 6th at the Soddy Showdown with 4 medalists. Adam Jeffers and Ruth finished 2nd. Begley and Dean finished 3rd.