Region 1

humorwrestling

Griffyn told me he tore his labarum. Said the doctor told him its the worst hes seen. He also said he has lilttle to no cartilage left between his shoulder and rotator cuff. No surgery scheduled as of yet, but it will happen in the very near future.

As for college I know he wants to wrestle after HS but after the last few weeks hes a little disappointed with the way everyhing played out and is kind of burned out.

He wrestled through the region and state tournaments with that? Wow. That explains his performance at both. Maybe somewhere like mtsu will pick him up!

He wrestled through the region and state tournaments with that? Wow. That explains his performance at both. Maybe somewhere like mtsu will pick him up!

You can wrestle with a torn labrum. I did it for a year and a half and next 4 years after. The performance should not be effected that much. It also had to do with cutting lots of weight (too much). The labrum is the cartilage between the head of the humerus and part of the shoulder blade with the rest of the body. If he had little to no cartilage then he would have very little chance of full recovery because there would be nothing to attach to the bone (with anchors) and would have a lot less mobility. I would also want to see his MRI because that would be intresting to see. His recovery to wrestle again after surgery would be at least a year with a tear that big. He would at least have to redshirt one year. Just my thoughts.

You can wrestle with a torn labrum. I did it for a year and a half and next 4 years after. The performance should not be effected that much. It also had to do with cutting lots of weight (too much). The labrum is the cartilage between the head of the humerus and part of the shoulder blade with the rest of the body. If he had little to no cartilage then he would have very little chance of full recovery because there would be nothing to attach to the bone (with anchors) and would have a lot less mobility. I would also want to see his MRI because that would be intresting to see. His recovery to wrestle again after surgery would be at least a year with a tear that big. He would at least have to redshirt one year. Just my thoughts.

He should have been at 160 if you ask me but its over now. To be honest he looked very good at the brawl in the hall back in January and stuck someone who majored Johnson. He ended up losing something like 8-6 in the finals. Either way he didn't look the same at regions by any means. Maybe the weight cut did end up getting to him but he was definitely hurting at regions.

He should have been at 160 if you ask me but its over now. To be honest he looked very good at the brawl in the hall back in January and stuck someone who majored Johnson. He ended up losing something like 8-6 in the finals. Either way he didn't look the same at regions by any means. Maybe the weight cut did end up getting to him but he was definitely hurting at regions.

Cutting weight doesn't get to you over night. It comes over time. Cutting too much weight makes an injury worse because the nutrition is not their to help to body heal. He was hurting at regionals but then looked good that tuesday at Jeff County. A labural test will stay with you and usually in the sport of wrestling, the tear will get worse and cause more pain.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Since I coached him in middle school, I came to watch Broyles at the MTSU inter-squad dual last night. First off, he is huge! They still haven't decided whether he will be at 57 or 65 this year but he made 62 for a catch weight match with former TN high school stud, Nick Patton. It was a solid match and both guys look good. Final score was 6-3 in Patton's favor, I believe. Broyles snuck a super duck in there late. The stalling rules in college make it really hard to determine what is or isn't stalling. Anyway, just an update on that. How is Begley doing at WVU? I can not wait to see him on the next level. I've been watching him since his middle school days at Ross Robinson. I remember watching Dean wrestle in middle school too! Does anyone know if English went on to wrestle anywhere? I remember watching he and Grif go at it in the MS GIT finals back in the day. This was a great senior class and it really is fun for me to get to see these guys go on to the next level.

Since I coached him in middle school, I came to watch Broyles at the MTSU inter-squad dual last night. First off, he is huge! They still haven't decided whether he will be at 57 or 65 this year but he made 62 for a catch weight match with former TN high school stud, Nick Patton. It was a solid match and both guys look good. Final score was 6-3 in Patton's favor, I believe. Broyles snuck a super duck in there late. The stalling rules in college make it really hard to determine what is or isn't stalling. Anyway, just an update on that. How is Begley doing at WVU? I can not wait to see him on the next level. I've been watching him since his middle school days at Ross Robinson. I remember watching Dean wrestle in middle school too! Does anyone know if English went on to wrestle anywhere? I remember watching he and Grif go at it in the MS GIT finals back in the day. This was a great senior class and it really is fun for me to get to see these guys go on to the next level.

English pressed pause on starting his college career. He's lifting, training and competing as an unregistered/unaffiliated individual keeping his NCAA/NAIA eligibility 100% intact. He is wrestling at the Patriot Open 31 OCT 15.

Edited by BlackknightGATA

• 1 month later...

This Region 1 thread has been quite lately...

Roanoke Times News:  Saturday December 19, 2015

Cave Spring's Amos becomes 1st 4-time champ at Knights of the Round Table

On Saturday, Cave Spring’s Cody Amos became the first wrestler to win four individual championships at the Knights of the Round Table Tournament. He led the Knights to an overall team title in front of their home fans. Amos’s win at 220 pounds was one of five titles by Cave Spring as it outscored runner-up Tennessee High 226 to 210 1/2.

Amos, the defending state champ at 220, stayed undefeated on the season by dominating his match against Alleghany’s Cameron Hyler. The Cave Spring senior built an early lead before earning a pinfall 2 minutes, 37 seconds into the match.

Being the first to win the event four times was a goal that was instilled in Amos by his coaches early in his high school career.

“This is our home tournament, and as a freshman, our coaches told us that we don’t lose on our own mat,†Amos said.

Amos’ victory was part of an impressive finish by the Knights. Cave Spring earned three consecutive pinfall victories at the conclusion of the event from Noah Bushman (195), Amos (220), and Marquis Cobbs (285) to pull away from Tennessee High.

“We knew that we had three studs at the top,†Amos said. “We always tell the coaches we’ll finish things off on a good note.â€

The Knights got victories earlier in the evening from Sam Ring at 126 pounds and Jacob Plunkett at 160. Plunkett’s 12-4 victory over Tennessee’s Harold Johnson was one of two matchups in the finals between Cave Spring and Tennessee High.

“Any time you have the first- and second-place guys up against each other, it’s important for the team,†Plunkett said. “I wanted to keep pushing and not give up any silly stuff.â€

Cave Spring’s overall record in the finals was 5-2. One of the losses came at 152 where Alleghany’s Kameron Warlitner came from behind to knock off the Knights’ Ben Chapman by a 3-2 decision in one of the evening’s closest contests.

“I got behind early, but I knew I had time,†Warlitner said. “I just had to be smart and wrestle my match.â€

Warlitner, a senior who plans to wrestle for VMI next season, was even with Chapman at 1-1 in the final minute before scoring a two-point takedown that proved to be the decisive points.

“As soon as I got the lead, I knew I had to be defensive and not let him get any shots on me,†Warlitner said.

Other winners from Timesland included Carroll County’s Brennan Vaught (120) and William Byrd’s Adam Catron (170).

William Fleming placed two wrestlers in the finals but both came up short against opponents from the runners-up. Tyress Wade at 106 lost a 2-0 decision to Tennessee’s Trent Nelson, while Fleming’s Robert Henderson was pinned by the Vikings’ Dewey Pendley at 145.

While Tennessee did finish in second overall, the Vikings were able to equal the Knights in individual titles on the day with five.

Last year the Region 1 thread was always one of the hottest. So lets get it going!

Looks like the boys from Region 1 are off to a good start this year:

Dobyns Bennett flexing its Region 1 muscles. They look strong in the upper half of the roster. Will Coach Mann take the trophy back to Kingsport this year?

The boys from Science Hill tearing it up in North Carolina. As usual. lots of solid wrestlers across the lineup. Can anyone knock The Hill from the top?

Jefferson County making noise in the Knoxville area with a very promising looking squad. Are they going to take the trophy back to Jefferson?

Tennessee High School has several top scoring returners to make a run at it again. Can they take the honors back to Bristol?

Or will it be one of the dark horses such as MoTown West or David Crockett?

Lets get it on!!

Where you at MarshieBaby and NewCoach?

Looking forward to riding up with the bears to see a lot of these teams. Hope it's a good brawl in the hall!