Single A district champs

FutureCOY

I am pretty sure I was at the game you are referring to trader to  and will have to disagree on your comments.  The player you are talking about did push the girl to the floor which was uncalled for but she did not shove her into the bench and I am very certain there were no high fives from the coach as you mentioned.  As I have watched several basketball games this year I have witnessed several other players shove girls from behind "two hands in the back" it happens. Emotions sometimes get the best of these young girls.

As a general rule, I don't single out players in a negative manner. My comments on the foul could have been off, as I was almost to the baseline behind the Riverside bench on my way to the concession area, and didn't see her go down...I did see her getting to her feet at the sideline, and was told by several who were watching(from the baseline) that she was shoved to the bench. If I was wrong about that, I'll apologize...I did however see the high five, the smile, and the fact that she finished the game on the floor...from less than 20 feet. I don't condone rough play, but like you, I've seen it before. My problem isn't with the player...teams/players generally reflect the personality of their coach, and the lack of discipline will probably show up again.  

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a general rule, I don't single out players in a negative manner. My comments on the foul could have been off, as I was almost to the baseline behind the Riverside bench on my way to the concession area, and didn't see her go down...I did see her getting to her feet at the sideline, and was told by several who were watching(from the baseline) that she was shoved to the bench. If I was wrong about that, I'll apologize...I did however see the high five, the smile, and the fact that she finished the game on the floor...from less than 20 feet. I don't condone rough play, but like you, I've seen it before. My problem isn't with the player...teams/players generally reflect the personality of their coach, and the lack of discipline will probably show up again.

Afraid you are mistaken again, trader. I agree with cool waters. Foul was a little excessive, but no celebration of any kind took place between the coach and player. No high fives were given and certainly no smiles or smirks. If any kind of positive transaction took place, it was after the game and congratulatory of winning at scotts hill, which RHS hasn't done for quite a while. I also checked back and nothing has EVER been mentioned about RHS being "dirty" with their style of play until recent posts. Sort of makes you wonder if their winning record may have a little to do with all the negativity. Now we should all get back to the topic of this thread and discuss district champions, which Riverside is not.

Afraid you are mistaken again, trader. I agree with cool waters. Foul was a little excessive, but no celebration of any kind took place between the coach and player. No high fives were given and certainly no smiles or smirks. If any kind of positive transaction took place, it was after the game and congratulatory of winning at scotts hill, which RHS hasn't done for quite a while. I also checked back and nothing has EVER been mentioned about RHS being "dirty" with their style of play until recent posts. Sort of makes you wonder if their winning record may have a little to do with all the negativity. Now we should all get back to the topic of this thread and discuss district champions, which Riverside is not.

We won't know who takes the district champion plaque home for a little while longer, and Riverside still has a good shot at it. "Dirty player" isn't a label that is earned for a cheap shot...it happens over time, and with more small and easily overlooked incidents if they weren't repeated game after game against different opponents. I've witnessed some great kids commit some terrible acts of sportsmanship that were one time events. I'm opting out of the conversation here...not comfortable with negative comments that single out kids, even when their identities aren't discussed.

Now for the coach...I saw what I saw, from a good angle and close. More than the actions, I also got the sentiment that she was not at all unhappy with the player. If we disagree, then we'll just have to agree to disagree...no hard feelings, and hey...I've been wrong before, but pretty sure not this time.

Edited by tradertwo

I am usually a silent Coacht member and almost wish I had refrained from even posting because it always comes down to "he said , she said" comments and petty arguments. With that being said, to keep from sounding like I am calling anyone a liar, I'll opt to agree to disagree as you suggested. Looking forward to seeing who does manage to win these exciting district tournaments coming up next week. Best of luck to all players and coaches.

Edited by Hoopngal

I am usually a silent Coacht member and almost wish I had refrained from even posting because it always comes down to "he said , she said" comments and petty arguments. With that being said, to keep from sounding like I am calling anyone a liar, I'll opt to agree to disagree as you suggested. Looking forward to seeing who does manage to win these exciting district tournaments coming up next week. Best of luck to all players and coaches.

I appreciate the courtesy Hoopngal...and if it seems that I'm trying to be "cute" or sarcastic, that's not the case. The fact that you obviously have the character to disagree without being confrontational let's me know that your perception and mine were different and that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Lady Rams will win District 3A. They are 10-0 in district with 2 to play. Their only losses this year have been to AAA Bearden, AAA Science Hill, Knoxville Webb in overtime and a Loss at Oliver Springs, always a tough place to win if you know what I mean. Grace should make another good run in tournament play