REGION 5 (5A) THREAD

FridayMainEvent

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder what happened to all the FC "supporters"  who said that a new coach is what was needed?  Guess sometimes what you want and need are two different things.

New system takes some time. new coach is on the right path he will bring it around got to give him some time. School system needs to let the head coach bring in a good defensive coordinator that works well with his system. I think biggest problem is with defense and I believe its starting to take its toll on the offense. Just my opinion. Your right what everyone wants is more than what can be expected and what is needed is an old system that is broke to be fixed. So with that said I believe Coach Smith will fix it in a couple years. Key word for FC is believe.

a couple years? has he ever stayed somewhere that long?  Defense is a problem, but so is the fact that His system is putting up less points that the system that the previous coach had in place.  Look at the facts here.  During Carr's worst two years as head coach they averaged 28 points a game in 2011 and 22 points a game in 2014.  Smith's offense is only averaging 19 points a game right now. You have got to go all the way back to 2007 under Atkins to find an FC team that averages scoring that little. Looks like offense is a problem as well.  Just my two cents worth, but maybe the next coach can fix things, should be a new one in a year or two if Smith's pattern holds true.

Edited by rampage

a couple years? has he ever stayed somewhere that long?  Defense is a problem, but so is the fact that His system is putting up less points that the system that the previous coach had in place.  Look at the facts here.  During Carr's worst two years as head coach they averaged 28 points a game in 2011 and 22 points a game in 2014.  Smith's offense is only averaging 19 points a game right now. You have got to go all the way back to 2007 under Atkins to find an FC team that averages scoring that little. Looks like offense is a problem as well.  Just my two cents worth, but maybe the next coach can fix things, should be a new one in a year or two if Smith's pattern holds true.

Coach Smith’s couple years where he left a school was 1989-1990 with Nashville Christian then in 2005-2006 with Independence. Only time he has left a school after just one year is to Warren County. As much negativity that the fans and supporters have at Warren County Kind of don't blame him. Not even King GQ from Maryville could have a winning season there. Smith spent 5 years at Ezell-Harding, 3 years at Science Hill, then 4 years at Moore County so yes I would say he has stayed somewhere longer than a couple years. Fact is on the points that FC’s offense has put up this season compared to the past is FC is in a lot tougher region than in the past. Every team FC has played up to this point is ranked in the top 25 in their class except Tullahoma. Last season FC only played 2 teams ranked all season long.

This year is for him to figure out where he might need to make changes and if that is with some coaches in his staff then hopefully the powers at be will let him make those changes. Got to give him couple years to implement his system and tweak it to work, but after that and nothing changes then that’s another topic. So with that being said as a FC fan I will support Smith for at least a couple years.

As a Franklin County Rebel fan I would like to say 10-0 but with the tougher schedule I would say 4-6 but I think FC could surprise and come up with a win over one of 2 teams either Shelbyville or Summit. so maybe 5-5 that would be a much improvement from last season because of the tougher schedule this season. I think FC will not be a push over team for any team in region 5 (5A) even with the lack of administration support. just my opinion. so I guess I am saying 4-6 or 5-5.

Coach Smith’s couple years where he left a school was 1989-1990 with Nashville Christian then in 2005-2006 with Independence. Only time he has left a school after just one year is to Warren County. As much negativity that the fans and supporters have at Warren County Kind of don't blame him. Not even King GQ from Maryville could have a winning season there. Smith spent 5 years at Ezell-Harding, 3 years at Science Hill, then 4 years at Moore County so yes I would say he has stayed somewhere longer than a couple years. Fact is on the points that FC’s offense has put up this season compared to the past is FC is in a lot tougher region than in the past. Every team FC has played up to this point is ranked in the top 25 in their class except Tullahoma. Last season FC only played 2 teams ranked all season long.

This year is for him to figure out where he might need to make changes and if that is with some coaches in his staff then hopefully the powers at be will let him make those changes. Got to give him couple years to implement his system and tweak it to work, but after that and nothing changes then that’s another topic. So with that being said as a FC fan I will support Smith for at least a couple years.

So You predict that they will go 5-5 but now they are playing tougher teams?  Hmmm lets see.  in 2015 their opponents records thus far is 16-13.  Last year 2014 their opponents records where 62-51.  Sounds about the same to me.  and they still scored more points per game.  I will come back with the season totals at the end of the year for you so you can compare apples to apples.  I promise with who Fc has coming up they will not end the season scoring near as many points as they did last year.  Chalk it up to a tougher schedule if you want, but I am not buying it.  Rankings really do not mean a lot to me anyway.  Just ask the AP how accurate their rankings have been this year.  So is your prediction still 5-5 or do you think it will be a little lower.  I am going to say 1-9 or 2-7 at best.  With all that talent too.  Wow.

FC 33 Columbia 14.....Columbia is that bad?

As a matter of fact, yes they are.  When Stone took over at Columbia you saw a great rise in the number of students that opted to go to Columbia Academy instead of attending Columbia.  That trend has continued throughout his tenure and will continue until they hire a different coach.  So yes, Columbia is that bad!

rampage  Yes I still say they have a chance to go 4-6 or 5-5 you never know until those games are played. After the win over Columbia FC averages 21.5 points a game. My opinion is that FC is playing a stronger schedule and doing just as well as last season with a new coach and new system just takes time and hard work to dial it in.  Franklin County’s strength of schedule for 2015  is 12th in class 5 A. Last year 2014 strength of schedule was 51st.

Edited by jemarshall32

Again I say you can not put to much stock in "rankings"  And I will get back to you at the end of the season like I said already.  Just give it time.  You will be as upset with Smith as you where Carr shortly.

Maybe so but until then I will give him a chance and so should all FC fans and supporters. Never will know until you give him a chance. Carr had a chance for 5 years. So I say give this coach at least 3 years. wouldn't you say that would be fair?

Again I say you can not put to much stock in "rankings"  And I will get back to you at the end of the season like I said already.  Just give it time.  You will be as upset with Smith as you where Carr shortly.

well then you can't put much stock in numbers of running yards a team averages a season if you can't put stock in a win loss number of all your opponents in that class to come up with strength of schedule. Numbers change with every game. maybe I am wrong but  how I take it is that game stats, player stats, rankings , strength of schedule, and season stats are done. You are right we will know for sure at the end of the season.

Edited by jemarshall32