Michael Hooker in Dave Shultz Open Finals

karelin

Michael is wrestling Greco at 71 kg for Army; he beat 3rd ranked wrestler, Bo Beckman, then defeated Ortiz (who had pinned Michael in their 2 previous matches). He faces a tough Kendrick Sanders in the finals, but he is on a roll, and has vastly improved in Greco while training with Army in Colorado Springs. William Simpson and he are teammates there; William won a couple of matches today as well. Match is live on Flo at 6:30 EST.

Edited by karelin
  • Upvote 1

Michael giving TN some love....Per themat.com

Hooker won by injury default over Kendrick Sanders in an all-USA match at 71 kg/156 lbs. Sanders led 4-1 before Hooker hit a four-point headlock in the second period.

Sanders was injured during the sequence and medical personnel determined he was unable to continue. Sanders won this event in 2012 and 2014.

“It was very surreal,†Hooker said. “I drove 2,000 miles from Tennessee in November, hoping and praying to wrestle here with the Army. The coaches were very supportive of me. I put all my stuff in my car, came out here, and got myself thrown around a lot.

“It felt great. I learned that throw back in Tennessee. Today, it just worked out for me.â€

Sanders was disqualified from the tournament for walking off the mat and not shaking hands with Hooker after the match.

• Upvote 2

The winner gets $1500, so Michael had a steak dinner last night instead of Ramen noodles, like a scene right out of 'Foxcatcher'. This win could open some doors for Michael, such as more coaching from the Nat'l coaches and possible overseas tournaments; he will definitely benefit in many ways.