Dissolution D-II

The new proposal for a DII split will come up this week and I anticipate that all private schools will be voted out of DI and moved to DII.  This will make DII more competitive in many sports and allow more public schools win state championships.  This is an attempt to make it a level playing field but it will not.  Yes, DII schools can take students from most anywhere; however, Nashville Metro schools can take students from outside their zone if they take a class at the school of their choice that is not offered at the school in their zone.  It has been done for ages.  Just look at the Overton team that won the State Wrestling Championship years ago and you will find many who were instrumental in their championship not zoned for Overton.  I am not advocating against it, just stating a point.  This new vote will not address that.  Also, what will happen in a few years when the schools that have open zoning start winning everything.  Will the TSSAA make another rule change to handle this?  Stay tuned.

Remember, there is no DII Representative that will be voting for this.

This vote is being moved forward by a public school that kept losing to CPA in football.  Remember the last time the DI/DII vote occurred that separated the 2 divisions, it was because BA beat Riverdale in football.

I am seeing a pattern here.

Who were the "many" out of zoners? Not trying to pick a fight but I was on that team and Casey Brewster, me and my brother were the only ones out of zone and I didn't participate in State anyway after Casey dropped weight. Just want to make sure we are working with the facts. Here was the lineup that year going into duals and individuals:

103: Casey Brewster (Out of Zone)

112: Tim Drinkwine (Out of Zone)

119: Ethen Elzen (In Zone)

125: Dwayne Jenner (In Zone)

130: Brian Larimer (In Zone)

135: Ed Clay (In Zone)

140: Clyde Clemons (In Zone)

145: Derrick Jordan (In Zone)

152: Eric Jordan (In Zone)

160: Eric Simpson (In Zone)

171: Bobby Lee (In Zone)

189: Robby Lee (In Zone)

215: Eric Covington (In Zone)

Hwt: Will Hadden (In Zone)

Also, on a side note, myself and my siblings did not go to Overton for wrestling. We were already going to Overton cluster schools for a decade before my brother Timothy ended up there. Wrestling was a thrill for us, but was not the primary purpose.

Edited by briandrinkwine

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand, I will have to say that there's grace in the assumption that our team was filled with out-of-zoners. Perception is reality, right? When you have an elite wrestler like Casey who transfers, it's hard not to wonder if several other wrestlers might have been transfers also. Truth is, though, almost all of our team came straight up through McMurray Middle and into Overton, with those two schools being the only place we had experienced wrestling prior to high school. It's really a miracle that we were as competitive as we were. We didn't have the resources and weren't in the bedroom community culture to build a strong kids club (i.e. we tried but it slowly faded into a club run by and for private school and suburban kids because we didn't have the parent support to pull it off). Those were amazing years and I look back on it as a high honor to have been a part of it. It's just sad that we can't find ways to overcome the cultural barriers and see urban schools perform more competitively.

Edited by briandrinkwine

Who were the "many" out of zoners? Not trying to pick a fight but I was on that team and Casey Brewster, me and my brother were the only ones out of zone and I didn't participate in State anyway after Casey dropped weight. Just want to make sure we are working with the facts. Here was the lineup that year going into duals and individuals:

103: Casey Brewster (Out of Zone)

112: Tim Drinkwine (Out of Zone)

119: Ethen Elzen (In Zone)

125: Dwayne Jenner (In Zone)

130: Brian Larimer (In Zone)

135: Ed Clay (In Zone)

140: Clyde Clemons (In Zone)

145: Derrick Jordan (In Zone)

152: Eric Jordan (In Zone)

160: Eric Simpson (In Zone)

171: Bobby Lee (In Zone)

189: Robby Lee (In Zone)

215: Eric Covington (In Zone)

Hwt: Will Hadden (In Zone)

Also, on a side note, myself and my siblings did not go to Overton for wrestling. We were already going to Overton cluster schools for a decade before my brother Timothy ended up there. Wrestling was a thrill for us, but was not the primary purpose.

Just so that you understand where I am coming from, I could care less where kids live as long as they go to school and do well in the classroom.  With that being said everyone around Middle Tennessee knows that the legal residence for one of your out of zone wrestlers was actually in another county.

How many wrestlers on the team wrestled at Meigs Magnet School for Gabe and moved to John Overton when Gabe became the head coach?

Edited by cbg

Just so that you understand where I am coming from, I could care less where kids live as long as they go to school and do well in the classroom. With that being said everyone around Middle Tennessee knows that the legal residence for one of your out of zone wrestlers was actually in another county.

How many wrestlers on the team wrestled at Meigs Magnet School for Gabe and moved to John Overton when Gabe became the head coach?

Interesting. That's an unfortunate rumor. Dwayne was the only person on that list that went to Meigs & he lived in South Nashville, well within the school zone. Casey lived in Donelson (in Davidson County) and me and my brothers lived only a few miles away. We had already been assigned to the Overton cluster years prior anyway, so we weren't following Gabe to Overton (though he would have been worth following for sure). Nobody else on that list was from Meigs. They were all McMurray kids. Either way, Meigs is not a zone school anyway, so they didn't have to get special transfers unless they lived out of zone. (Note that there were other Meigs kids in prior years, but no starters were out of zone amongst them). Nobody on our team lived out of the county, either. That's a weird rumor. Also, you can trust the accuracy of my statement as I can literally tell you the neighborhoods of each of those team mates. I hope that sets your mind at ease.