Memory Lane: 1995 Brentwood Academy Eagles (20-year anniversary)

AlcoaBasketball

With all the TSSAA stuff going on, I just thought it'd be fun to look back on the team that sparked the creation of Division II.

1995 Brentwood Academy Eagles

Class 5A State Champions (15-0)

Head Coach:

CARLTON FLATT

5A Mr. Football Lineman of the Year:

RICHARD LAND

AP 1st team All-State:

LAND (OL)

MIKKI ALLEN (DB)

TITO LEE (LB/FB, rest in peace)

JASON ROWLETT (DL)

KURSTON BIGGERS (RB/DB)

W 49-21 Madisonville-North (KY)

W 35-15 Stratford

W 41-6 McGavock

W 49-6 Franklin

W 21-7 Franklin Co.

W 46-7 John Overton

W 28-7 Glencliff

W 55-7 Columbia Central

W 42-0 Lincoln Co.

W 56-6 Brentwood

Playoffs

W 57-10 Hunters Lane

W 27-0 Munford

W 7-3 Clarksville NE (led by RB Travis Stephens)

W 35-10 MBA

W 27-16 Riverdale

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best team I have ever seen play....they had waves and waves of depth behind those all-state players you cited.

Trying to recall exactly what happened in that NE game, but I think it was something like...BA threw a hail mary as time was expiring in first half, and NE was whistled for PI.  BA got an untimed down and scored the game's only TD on last play of half...it was something weird like that.

Edited by big red big blue

Best team I have ever seen play....they had waves and waves of depth behind those all-state players you cited.

Trying to recall exactly what happened in that NE game, but I think it was something like...BA threw a hail mary as time was expiring in first half, and NE was whistled for PI. BA got an untimed down and scored the game's only TD on last play of half...it was something weird like that.

They sure did. I know Austin Kemp and Ryan Huskey made all-state their senior year in 1996, but didn't see them for 1995. I was saddened to hear what happened with Tito Lee. It sounded like he had so much potential.

And that's crazy about the NE game. Was that game at BA or in Clarksville?

2008 13-0 Memphis University School Owls Coached by Bobby Alston

Melrose W 13-12

Kingsbury W 45-8

Olive Branch(MS) W 29-22

G.W. Carver W 56-18

Christian Brothers W 21-14

Memphis Northside W 41-0

Cookeville W 42-0

Briarcrest W 48-7

ECS W 22-10

St Benedict W 59-7

Playoffs

BGA W 49-21

MBA W 35-7

Brentwood Academy W 38-18

2008 13-0 Memphis University School Owls Coached by Bobby Alston

Melrose W 13-12

Kingsbury W 45-8

Olive Branch(MS) W 29-22

G.W. Carver W 56-18

Christian Brothers W 21-14

Memphis Northside W 41-0

Cookeville W 42-0

Briarcrest W 48-7

ECS W 22-10

St Benedict W 59-7

Playoffs

BGA W 49-21

MBA W 35-7

Brentwood Academy W 38-18

This thread is specifically about the 1995 Brentwood Academy Eagles. Put this on your state champions thread please.

The NE game was at BA.  The following week, in the semi's, MBA and BA met for the first time ever in an actual game.  I was there that night...I don't know what the official attendance was, but the stadium (BA has seats only on one side of the stadium) was completely overflowing at 5:00 PM, 2 hrs before kick-off.  MBA was led by future NC-winning Vol Will Bartholomew.  They hung around for a half, but BA ultimately was too good.  Hunter Adkins (who began his career at MBA) went off in the second half...they just had too many weapons on that team.

MBA also played NE that year...Travis Stephens had a video-game like stat line.  He had 200+ yards on like 15 carries.  He was unstoppable....but that BA team held him in check somehow in the playoffs.

The NE game was at BA. The following week, in the semi's, MBA and BA met for the first time ever in an actual game. I was there that night...I don't know what the official attendance was, but the stadium (BA has seats only on one side of the stadium) was completely overflowing at 5:00 PM, 2 hrs before kick-off. MBA was led by future NC-winning Vol Will Bartholomew. They hung around for a half, but BA ultimately was too good. Hunter Adkins (who began his career at MBA) went off in the second half...they just had too many weapons on that team.

MBA also played NE that year...Travis Stephens had a video-game like stat line. He had 200+ yards on like 15 carries. He was unstoppable....but that BA team held him in check somehow in the playoffs.

Wow! But you're right, DEFENSE wins championships.

I briefly stopped by BA campus once and saw the stadium, and it's a great venue! Does it still get packed out like it did then?

BA has a great looking set up.  They have to have one of the few stadiums in the state that has actual seats in the stadium...with the flags of the past state champions flying over the seats, and the field house on the opposite side, it looks amazing...I went to the BA-Ensworth game a couple of years ago, with Ramsey, Barnett, Corn Elder et al playing...it was packed that night.

of course, I have always loved Alcoa's stadium with the mountain view in the background...can't replicate that in middle TN.

Trying to recall exactly what happened in that NE game, but I think it was something like...BA threw a hail mary as time was expiring in first half, and NE was whistled for PI.  BA got an untimed down and scored the game's only TD on last play of half...it was something weird like that.

Thats pretty much exactly what happened. I was a little angry about the call but you can't let one play determine the whole game. Being able to hold that NE team out of the endzone is very impressive. I expected a high scoring game.

BA has a great looking set up. They have to have one of the few stadiums in the state that has actual seats in the stadium...with the flags of the past state champions flying over the seats, and the field house on the opposite side, it looks amazing...I went to the BA-Ensworth game a couple of years ago, with Ramsey, Barnett, Corn Elder et al playing...it was packed that night.

of course, I have always loved Alcoa's stadium with the mountain view in the background...can't replicate that in middle TN.

It is a great backdrop for sure, and the JumboTron makes it that much more fun, but driving down Granny White Pike is pretty scenic too, especially around the Radnor Lake.