CLINTON @ OAK RIDGE

dragnfan

I thought Clinton would have one of best Offenses we will see but I thought we could score alot.Was really shocked we held them to 13 but even more shocked we couldnt move the ball any better.

I thought we would too, but I probably had too high expectations with a brand new offense and how we looked in scrimmages offensive wise. That Thackerson is something special. Slingin' it all over the place tonight. Hard to believe they threw it 51 times against a team that runs the triple option, which usually chews up the clock, but not tonight. 

All I will say was that offense is very hard to watch. Our line is hurting, bad. Penalties galore, 13-122 yards. Thankful we won, but not impressed at all, but with the D. They won us the game. If we can't block any better than that against an average Clinton D we are in a world of hurt next week. DB will drill us. Just calling it like it saw it, folks! Incredibly ugly showing tonight. Definitely not a top 10 team by tonights showing. Defense, thank you.

Totally agree.  Whoever had the ball was on his own because blocking was nonexistent. 

Did Fadnek not get a snap? If so, that's downright puzzling. Y'all were 12-1 with him last year. I don't understand that at all. But congrats on the win.

Not a single snap man. I thought he should've gotten a look or two, but never did. Our offense is geared more toward a running QB this year, so that has something to do with it, but their were still times I thought he should've gotten a chance. 

Not a single snap man. I thought he should've gotten a look or two, but never did. Our offense is geared more toward a running QB this year, so that has something to do with it, but their were still times I thought he should've gotten a chance.

Well, I understand if the coaches are concerned about the line with the flexbone but gosh darn if it ain't working then a different look may be in order. I'm no coach but I think a year under the belt counts for something. Maybe the poster who said y'all were sandbagging DB was on to something, lol!

Well, I understand if the coaches are concerned about the line with the flexbone but gosh darn if it ain't working then a different look may be in order. I'm no coach but I think a year under the belt counts for something. Maybe the poster who said y'all were sandbagging DB was on to something, lol!

Lol!! I sure as he** hope that was the case playboy

Let's be honest about some things (many of which I've been blasted for saying):

1. We have an elite defense, because the defense is well coached. When a man went down the defnse just subbed in a new player and kept playing. Had the offense chewed up the clock like it should've (I'll go into more detail on this in a bit), the defense would've only given up 7.

2. We are terribly coached on the OL. The QB was often running for his life and we could not establish a consistent running game. It was often impossible to tell where the play was supposed to go because there was instant penetration and the QB and RB's were trying to make something out of nothing.

3. The RB's coach needs to be fired. He's playing favorites. The two freshmen should be playing the wings, but one is being put in as a FB because the RB coach doesn't want him to outshine his best friend's son (who is an amazing player in his own right). Rather than us trying to get the best group out there, coaches are trying to highlight their kids. He also jerks some kids immediately for mistakes, but not others. When you're not consistent on these things, it's pretty clear that it's personal in nature. It's Pee Wee football level ridiculous.

4. The people that were saying, "We aren't getting the ball to 5 & 9 in scrimmages because we know we can do that any time" are fools. We had a ton of trouble getting the ball to them tonight. Yes, Tee had two touchdowns. On the first, he had to make an incredible catch. The second was blown coverage. Our passing game didn't look smooth at all and almost turned it over in the red zone. This offense is not going to get the most out of these guys unless a lot is changed from tonight. The people saying "I hope other teams play seven in the box" need to rethink things. If there's seven in the box, the there's likely three defensive players in the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped.

5. The offensive clock management was awful. We were up two scores, yet continually running out of bounds. We almost kept Clinton in the game by lengthening it. It seems like a run heavy offense should be able to control the clock, but that wasn't the case. We also had to call at least two timeouts because we couldn't get plays called.

6. The QB coach needs to teach our player that sometimes throwing the ball out of bounds is the best play. We were almost taken out of field goal range due to the QB running backwards ten yards and out of bounds. I don't blame the kid. He is in his first start, is getting no blocking, and probably just hasn't been coached to get rid of it. This goes back to me saying that we either ran the wrong offense last year, this year, or both. However, the QB kept the chains moving by scrambling when there was absolutely no blocking on several occasions. He is a tough kid and impressed me with that.

7. This is not an option offense. I know that a few options were called, but we cannot block well enough to run a true option. There is always penetration which destroys the timing and spacing needed to effectively run the option.

8. We have a lot of tough kids with heart, and it shows by how they play on the defensive side (even while missing their best LB & continually having to shuffle kids in and out). This team has the talent to win a state championship. However, I think the coaching and schemes on the offensive side of the football will hold us back. This is especially frustrating as we watch these kids effectively play complex schemes on defense, while struggling to run simple plays on offense. The only explanation is that there is a vast difference in the quality of the coaching on the two sides of the ball. And before anyone starts saying the defense gets the better athletes, they need to count how many plays 5 & 9 played on offense compared to defense.