Watch out football - Super School " Kingsport"

kingindian33

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me help everyone with this. If you combined South, North, part of Central, you would have a good ball team, but you would not have one that could get past round 3. That number would put them at 6A, which would be back with Science Hill, DB, Oak Ridge, etc.

The majority of the team would still be what we consider the South kids, maybe a couple of improvements at certain spots, but not enough to absolutely dominate from the get go. Add in a much better feeder program and youth program, bring in good coaching all around. We are looking at something around 2024 until you had a team that could compete with DB and SH. Use your heads, the best kids are playing already at South, adding a bunch of kids around them is only going to move them from 4A to 6A.

OR is 5A

What broke the Sullivan county school system was annexation by the city of Kingsport.

There aren't many problems and it wasn't the annexation. More people moving out of Sullivan County, kids near Bristol TN schools going there instead of Sullivan county, and a lack of industry in the county are what have hurt it. Education wise, parents know that they have a lot more opportunities in any of the three big cities Vs the county schools. The school systems around our area will see a lot of changes in the next ten years simply because it's time for a lot of old things to be redone, remade, refurbished. Also a feeling from Washington and Sullivan county is its time to stop lagging behind the cities. I like it. I don't care about tradition old rivalries or what not. I'd rather see more opportunities for our kids. And zero of the decisions will have to do with football, but it'll be fun to make heads or tails out of our area after the dust has settled.

Edited by formerblazer

FB, for some reason it's a Indian poster that is raising all the hubbub here. I think you're right on a lot of ways the only difference I would say is that I think is going to be a large 5A school instead. They are planning for 1700 max.

I also think that will change. South has around 900, north 400, central 1000 and east is near 1000. And yes those are the numbers. 3300 kids right now, the two high school system would work, but east doesn't have the capabilities to hold 600 central students immediately. There's no way. Either that first school will be bigger or you would have to build both at the same time. That or central isn't closing until the second high school is built. The numbers and changes and a 2018 or 2019 opening date isn't happening.

And for whatever happens, I hope Sullivan county looks to Alcoa and their new high school for how it should be built because that school is insanely cool on the inside.

There aren't many problems and it wasn't the annexation.

North had about 560 last year. They would have been in 2A football the last few years with a 400 population. Including middle school they had somewhere around 850. So do you think if North and South still had 1100+ high school students each the county would still be talking about consolidating and building new high schools? Almost all of that drop in population (especially for North) was due to annexation. Fully half or more of North's territory was annexed. A large portion of South's territory was also recently annexed (by ordinance, not by vote). North is getting to be unsustainable and they have had to make all sorts of cuts in programs because they no longer have the population. These facilities are not needing to be replaced, in fact all are planned to be reused or sold to the city. And as far as achievement I believe South has had the highest average ACT scores this side of Nashville or close to that the last 2 years in a row. There have been some demographic changes in these areas (aging population) but annexation is the primary factor on the west side of the county. There are also some aging elementary and middle schools that are a factor. I guarantee you there are more city students going to county schools than the other way around. D-B could not handle the influx if all the city students at North and South suddenly were forced out of the county schools.

North had about 560 last year. They would have been in 2A football the last few years with a 400 population. Including middle school they had somewhere around 850. So do you think if North and South still had 1100+ high school students each the county would still be talking about consolidating and building new high schools? Almost all of that drop in population (especially for North) was due to annexation. Fully half or more of North's territory was annexed. A large portion of South's territory was also recently annexed (by ordinance, not by vote). North is getting to be unsustainable and they have had to make all sorts of cuts in programs because they no longer have the population. These facilities are not needing to be replaced, in fact all are planned to be reused or sold to the city. And as far as achievement I believe South has had the highest average ACT scores this side of Nashville or close to that the last 2 years in a row. There have been some demographic changes in these areas (aging population) but annexation is the primary factor on the west side of the county. There are also some aging elementary and middle schools that are a factor. I guarantee you there are more city students going to county schools than the other way around. D-B could not handle the influx if all the city students at North and South suddenly were forced out of the county schools.

We will agree to disagree, but across the board from k-12 the numbers are down in every district, not just Kingsport. Time for new schools, out with the old in with the new. Tradition and being local is nice, but I'm thinking what would be better twenty years from now.