Week 2:CPA vs Knox Catholic

BigDave1967

Big win for CPA in Atlanta on Saturday.  Players now have the challenge to avoid the big head from reading their press clippings.

Knox Catholic is a very good team that almost beat Alcoa last year if I remember correctly. 

4 Star Amari Rodgers is more talented than anyone on CPA's roster.  Big challenge to contain him this week. 

Don't believe for a minute they are down.  Looking ahead last week possibly but they are not down. 

Should be a great game. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Catholic was down in 2011 and 2012.  If that's case then they should have played consistently over the years. And in 2013, Catholic was playing a lot of freshman and a QB who was moved from wide receiver. About as even as you can get. However, we've had this discussion already and since there is no need for redundancy lets move forward amicably.

Agreed.

Candidly, the subject is not emotional for me. I would have been fine either way, playing Catholic or not. But with the way the playoff system was set up where playing a top team was no benefit, I don't see much advantage to CAK adding yet another top team to their schedule, as long as they could get 10 games. CAK's schedule was brutal the last couple of years for a rebuilding team. But in fairness, CAK has played Webb or Catholic the last few years (and sometimes both) along with Grace every year, so I don't see any effort being made to avoid the other private schools in the area. I suspect these two teams will meet again soon.

GoVolsKnox I always enjoy reading your posts. I think they're always accurate and never demeaning to either programs or players.

I think CAK really should have won two years ago but made a few critical mistakes. Last year they just hit Catholic at the wrong time and ran into a buzz saw.

This may come across as egotistical but I think both CAK and Webb thought they would probably lose to us again. If a potential middle school football player was trying to evaluate which school had the best program for the future, I think it would be easy to point out the success we've had the last few years. Webb running the Wing-T is going to discourage a passing QB (like the one starting at Catholic now that transferred from there) and WRs. CAK has a great offensive system from a passing standpoint so maybe more RBs and defensive players would gravitate to Catholic.

Thanks for the kind comments. I feel the same about your posts.

I agree with your assessment, CAK could have won 2 years ago, against a superior opponent, but didn't get it done. They were completely outclassed last year.

As far as this year, I really don't think CAK pictured this as a year they couldn't compete and win against Catholic. Catholic may win it all, but at least for those of us on the outside looking in, it looks like you guys lost a LOT from the last 2 years. What is your candid assessment of that? Is this likely a rebuilding year, or do you expect to be as good or better than last year?

From CAK's side, all of us that follow the program closely knew that this year would be a year that CAK might have a chance to be a SERIOUS contender. Don't get me wrong, they were a top 6 -8  program 3A (maybe better) the last 2 rebuilding years, but there is a huge jump from top 5 to top 2 when Alcoa and now CPA are in the mix. This is the year I have pointed to since Charlie High and company won the state back to back. So if there was EVER a year that I would like to play Catholic and Webb (besides 11 and 12) it would be this year. IMHO, the coaching staff knows that this year would be our best shot to come out on top as well, so frankly, I don't think not playing this year was ducking Catholic. Just my opinion.

I agree in part! Why would you send a QB or WR to Webb? Now as far as your opinion on getting a prospect ready for the next level, we will have to agree to disagree beyond that. While Catholic has a great program, if I had an offensive player wanting to get a chance to get noticed for the next level, I would not give the nod to KC over CAK at all. No offense intended. If I had a defensive player, I would not give the nod to CAK however. Of course, all of the above is regarding football, and we all know there is much more than just that in deciding where you send your student athlete to school.

Thanks for the kind comments. I feel the same about your posts.

I agree with your assessment, CAK could have won 2 years ago, against a superior opponent, but didn't get it done. They were completely outclassed last year.

As far as this year, I really don't think CAK pictured this as a year they couldn't compete and win against Catholic. Catholic may win it all, but at least for those of us on the outside looking in, it looks like you guys lost a LOT from the last 2 years. What is your candid assessment of that? Is this likely a rebuilding year, or do you expect to be as good or better than last year?

From CAK's side, all of us that follow the program closely knew that this year would be a year that CAK might have a chance to be a SERIOUS contender. Don't get me wrong, they were a top 6 -8 program 3A (maybe better) the last 2 rebuilding years, but there is a huge jump from top 5 to top 2 when Alcoa and now CPA are in the mix. This is the year I have pointed to since Charlie High and company won the state back to back. So if there was EVER a year that I would like to play Catholic and Webb (besides 11 and 12) it would be this year. IMHO, the coaching staff knows that this year would be our best shot to come out on top as well, so frankly, I don't think not playing this year was ducking Catholic. Just my opinion.

I agree in part! Why would you send a QB or WR to Webb? Now as far as your opinion on getting a prospect ready for the next level, we will have to agree to disagree beyond that. While Catholic has a great program, if I had an offensive player wanting to get a chance to get noticed for the next level, I would not give the nod to KC over CAK at all. No offense intended. If I had a defensive player, I would not give the nod to CAK however. Of course, all of the above is regarding football, and we all know there is much more than just that in deciding where you send your student athlete to school.

Catholic's schedule is very tough this year so it hard to gauge just how good they are now, but by the end of the year we should be clicking. Don't want to peak in August. They have a lot of kids playing this year that were major contributors the last two years. As far as preparing guys for college, over the last 8 years Catholic has had three kids sign with UT (one being Mayes) two kids sign scholarships at Duke, one at Notre Dame, Baylor, Cincinnati, UNLV, Buffalo, MTSU, Memphis, Navy, Bowling Green and USC (Rodgers). They've had several sign as preferred walk on's at UT. As far as the FCS (1AA level) Brown, Dayton, 2 at ETSU, and Southern Illinois. Lots of guys playing at DII and DIII level. So Catholic does a good job of preparing guys for the next level, I'm curious to know how many next level guys CAK has produced over that same span. I know that schools are looking at Kuerschen, Rowan, Woods, and Scott as well (mostly FCS schools). Edited by QSouth89

Catholic's schedule is very tough this year so it hard to gauge just how good they are now, but by the end of the year we should be clicking. Don't want to peak in August. They have a lot of kids playing this year that were major contributors the last two years. As far as preparing guys for college, over the last 8 years Catholic has had three kids sign with UT (one being Mayes) two kids sign scholarships at Duke, one at Notre Dame, Baylor, Cincinnati, UNLV, Buffalo, MTSU, Memphis, Navy, Bowling Green and USC (Rodgers). They've had several sign as preferred walk on's at UT. As far as the FCS (1AA level) Brown, Dayton, 2 at ETSU, and Southern Illinois. Lots of guys playing at DII and DIII level. So Catholic does a good job of preparing guys for the next level, I'm curious to know how many next level guys CAK has produced over that same span. I know that schools are looking at Kuerschen, Rowan, Woods, and Scott as well (mostly FCS schools).

With all those top flight players, how has Catholic failed to advance farther in the playoffs than they have? Coaching?

With all those top flight players, how has Catholic failed to advance farther in the playoffs than they have? Coaching?

Running into teams like Fulton in the playoffs doesn't help you lol. All those players have been stretched out over the years and I miscalculated a lot of those kids played between 2005-2008 (Catholic lost a total of 4 games in that span and won a state title). I think three factors have assisted in the players getting recruited: 1) Catholic has played a lot of great teams over the years (since 2000 teams like Maryville, Fulton, West, Briarcrest, Baylor, McCallie etc) so when you play those type of teams colleges are bound to see you. 2) The academics, over the last 10 years KCHS has been ranked a nationally top 50 school for academic achievement. 3) The kids and parents marketing themselves. I know a lot of these kids travel all summer long going to camp after camp getting some exposure for themsekves, I think the main factor is playing top competition and they do receive some great coaching. This year Catholic is playing 3 state champions (multple winners too). Coach Matthews has done an amazing job coaching Catholic he's 20-6 in his two years there. With 4 of those 6 loses coming to Alcoa and Fulton (2 of the most dominant programs in the state) while playing a lot of freshmen and sophomores both years. Edited by QSouth89

Big win for CPA in Atlanta on Saturday. Players now have the challenge to avoid the big head from reading their press clippings.

Knox Catholic is a very good team that almost beat Alcoa last year if I remember correctly.

4 Star Amari Rodgers is more talented than anyone on CPA's roster. Big challenge to contain him this week.

Don't believe for a minute they are down. Looking ahead last week possibly but they are not down.

Should be a great game.

"more talented than anyone on CPA's roster"

I'm certain a team in GA said the same thing and they were extremely talented.

"more talented than anyone on CPA's roster"

I'm certain a team in GA said the same thing and they were extremely talented.

I think someone is trying to give CPA some bulletin board material. Coach77 isn't associated with Catholic. Most of his previous post has been pro CPA. Edited by QSouth89