TSSAA Proposals.....

deadlift

I'm involved with feeder programs for a public school, so I was concerned how the proposals affect public schools. I may be wrong, but this is my take on some of the new approved proposals.

-The "coaching link" proposal only pertains to kids with an "athletic record". To me that means a kid already has to have participated in high school varsity sports to be affected. So clubs, open mats, fight nights are fine for all unless someone transfers after already having an "athletic record".

-The eligibility zone proposal was struck down. So magnet schools, STEM type Academy schools and open zone school system kids can still transfer before the start of 9th grade with no penalty.

-Schools can have as many non-faculty coaches as they want.

-The Weight Training/Conditioning proposal takes affect October 1, 2015. Only students who are enrolled and in regular attendance at the school may participate during the school year. So the summer time is Ok I guess. I'm not sure this could prevent weight lifting/conditioning as part of an AAU or USA program.

-Non-faculty coaches with relatives on the team is fine as long as there is no tuition.

-TSSAA coaches can still work with middle schoolers/elementary kids in an AAU/USA type club because the kid would only be punished if he already has an athletic record.

I may be wrong but thats how I look at some of these changes.

Edited by deadlift

Dave,

I have the exact same reading of the new rules too.. When I first read the coaching link proposal I was like this is really going to hurt AAU and our youth wrestling programs statewide then I reread it again and I saw the "athletic record" and then I breathe a sigh of relief. I agree with you that has to mean high school athletes only because middle schoolers are not going to have an athletic record going into 9th grade. So clubs, traveling teams, fight nights, wrestlefest are all fine. TSSAA coaches can still work with out youth and middle school wrestlers. So I guess my question is what is the purpose of this new rule? Any high school athlete who transfers is going to have to sit out regardless so this rule effectively affects no one that I can see.

I think that the strength and conditioning rule is just for non-high school athletes mostly middle schoolers working out in organized high school strength and conditioning program. Probably more of a safety issue. My take is that it won't effect the AAU USA clubs that rent out/use high schools facilities after hours. If the high school lets us use the gym/wrestling room and weight room then we can condition as we see fit. We would not be different than any other club that is using the school property.

My question would be whether or not the TSSAA high school coaches and assistants that donate their time to keep so many of our youth and middle school wrestling programs afloat if they would be able to be in the room during club practice when we do strength and conditioning work. my reading of the rule is they wouldn't but that would be silly. I would like to see this rule clarified.

Edited by durdon

A high school coach would have to be extremely careful concerning the "athletic coaching linkâ€.  There is plenty of gray areas associated with that one.  A kid comes to your camp, your open mat, or is on your summer team and then transfers to your school?  I think he would violate that rule and lead to an ineligible kid. 

The rule makes no mention of high school or middle school like you suggest in your post.  I think we will see this rule violated pretty quickly, especially in wrestling where most of us have open rooms.

I hope that I am wrong.

Here is the language used: 

"Coaching links include a player's attendance at an individual camp and then transferring to that coach's school, playing on a non-school team and then transferring to that coach's school, transferring to a school where a former coach has just been hired and transferring to a school where a former or current personal trainer or strength-and-conditioning coach is employed."

TDArtist, The new bylaw is worded only to affect "a student with an athletic record". So it's only talking about kids who have already played high school sports. Kids with an athletic record would be affected if they transferred to a school with a "coaching link". The last statement below seems to indicate that a "coaching link" makes no difference in a situation with an actual move made in between school years though. It may be talking about the normal end of middle school and beginning of high school. Here's the wording from TSSAA:

Legislative Council Voted to Approve the Proposed Addition to Article II, Section 13 (Ineligible Transfer Students):

e. If a student with an athletic record transfers into a new school where an “athletic coaching link†existed in the past 12 months, that student is ineligible for 12 months at all levels in the specific sports where a link was present. Links include (1) attendance at an individual camp (and then transferring); (2) playing on non-school (independent) teams (and then transferring to that coach’s school); (3) transferring into a school where a former coach has just been hired; and (4) transferring into a school where a former or current personal trainer or strength and conditioning coach is employed.

This rule does not apply if the student moves to his/her new school after completion of the highest ending grade at his/her previous school.

Edited by deadlift

Tdartist
the rule clarifies that the coaching link only applies to kids with "athletic record" which means it is only kids that have participated in high school sports so it will have no impact on middle school athletes unless they are one of few 8th graders that participates in a high school sport at a school where the rules allow them participate in high school sports.

I talked to athletic director today who was active in developing these rules and he said that the purpose of this rule is really more geared towards basketball than any other sport. It is really to prevent 9th and 10th graders who develop a relationship with a coach at another school through club, camp or traveling team to then end up transferring into that school because of that relationship.  

Currently, if they do transfer they are ineligible to play the varsity sports for which they have an athletic record in for 1 year but now with this new rule if they transfer with an athletic record in that sport and there is a coaching link in that sport then that athlete is not only ineligible to play that varsity sport but they are also NOW ineligible to participate in junior varsity sports and to even practice with teams in that sport for a year. So a high schooler with an athletic record in a sport that transfers with a coaching link in that sport has to completely sit out in that sport at their new school for 1 year.  

The only impact that I can see this having on wrestling is that some TSSAA coaches and their athletic directors may be hesitant to allow them to coach on our USA cadet and junior teams, our AAU freshman, sophomore team, and they may not want to coach some of the summer traveling teams like Appy Gold, or Disney because they don't want be put into a position that may effect the eligibility of kids that participate in those teams. Hopefully, it won't because we need the TSSAA coaches on these teams.  

Now one thing that he did clarify for me is that if the student athlete family physically moves to the new school zone then they are eligible even if there is a coaching link. If you move then there will still be no questions asks like it is now.

Edited by durdon

Tdartist

the rule clarifies that the coaching link only applies to kids with "athletic record" which means it is only kids that have participated in high school sports so it will have no impact on middle school athletes unless they are one of few 8th graders that participates in a high school sport at a school where the rules allow them participate in high school sports.

I talked to athletic director today who was active in developing these rules and he said that the purpose of this rule is really more geared towards basketball than any other sport. It is really to prevent 9th and 10th graders who develop a relationship with a coach at another school through club, camp or traveling team to then end up transferring into that school because of that relationship.

Currently, if they do transfer they are ineligible to play the varsity sports for which they have an athletic record in for 1 year but now with this new rule if they transfer with an athletic record in that sport and there is a coaching link in that sport then that athlete is not only ineligible to play that varsity sport but they are also NOW ineligible to participate in junior varsity sports and to even practice with teams in that sport for a year. So a high schooler with an athletic record in a sport that transfers with a coaching link in that sport has to completely sit out in that sport at their new school for 1 year.

The only impact that I can see this having on wrestling is that some TSSAA coaches and their athletic directors may be hesitant to allow them to coach on our USA cadet and junior teams, our AAU freshman, sophomore team, and they may not want to coach some of the summer traveling teams like Appy Gold, or Disney because they don't want be put into a position that may effect the eligibility of kids that participate in those teams. Hopefully, it won't because we need the TSSAA coaches on these teams.

Now one thing that he did clarify for me is that if the student athlete family physically moves to the new school zone then they are eligible even if there is a coaching link. If you move then there will still be no questions asks like it is now.

That last part doesn't make sense. You were already ineligible for one year if to transferred schools without moving . This " new" rule wouldn't change anything if that is true.

That last part doesn't make sense. You were already ineligible for one year if to transferred schools without moving . This " new" rule wouldn't change anything if that is true.

Under the old rule if you transferred without moving then you were ineligible to participate in varsity sports but you could still participate in JV sports and practice during the year you had to sit out. Under the new rule if you transfer without moving and there is a coaching link then you can't participate at all for the entire year. No jv practice and no practice.

If you move then you are eligible even if there is a coaches link.

Hope that clarifies it a little better..

Under the old rule if you transferred without moving then you were ineligible to participate in varsity sports but you could still participate in JV sports and practice during the year you had to sit out. Under the new rule if you transfer without moving and there is a coaching link then you can't participate at all for the entire year. No jv practice and no practice.

If you move then you are eligible even if there is a coaches link.

Hope that clarifies it a little better..

Ok, gotcha. That's not that harsh then. Most everybody moves if their going to transfer.