TSSAA Proposals.....

deadlift

Under the old rule if you transferred without moving then you were ineligible to participate in varsity sports but you could still participate in JV sports and practice during the year you had to sit out. Under the new rule if you transfer without moving and there is a coaching link then you can't participate at all for the entire year. No jv practice and no practice.

If you move then you are eligible even if there is a coaches link.

Hope that clarifies it a little better..

Durdon, I'm not so sure this statement is correct "if you move then you are eligible even if there is a coaches link". The wording of the new rule seems to show a move with a coaching link is ok if it's after the final highest grade for a school. For most public schools that is between 8th and 9th grade. It doesn't cover other situations so this may be the only time allowed without penalty. If they really want to curb transfers for sports then they would include physical moves to the coaching link. It's vague, so at this time we do not know for sure if physical moves are covered or not.

I'm sorry. Baylor already proved my point.

Edited by deadlift

Clarified with TSSAA today...athletic link trumps bona fide change of residence. So athlete X has a link and even if family moves, X is ineligible at all levels.

That makes more sense. I'm not saying I agree with it personally but the other interpretations weren't really going to stop any recruiting efforts.

Clarified with TSSAA today...athletic link trumps bona fide change of residence. So athlete X has a link and even if family moves, X is ineligible at all levels.

Ok I was told differently today by an AD who seems to be pretty knowledgable about the rule changes that a physical move trumps the coaches link but if you clarified it with the TSSAA today then I am sure that is correct. Edited by durdon

What if an athlete transfers from public school X to private boarding school Z? Would the athlete still be eligible immediately?

If the move happened between 8th and 9th grade there appears to be no issues if coming from around 99% of public schools. If it happened after having an athletic record and no "coaching link" I would say the answer is yes also.

My understanding is that the "athletic link" could be anyone at the school that serves in a coaching/training capacity. If a girl plays AAU for the janitor at another school and then transfers to the janitor's school, she is ineligible for a calendar year even though the janitor is not a HS coach. The thing that you guys are saying that I was not aware of, is that she is ineligible even if she moves in to the school zone. That blows my mind, but it makes sense.   Now, if the AAU coach is a dad, and not employed by the school, the transfer is good to go. TSSAA needs to define these rules better. 

This is some pretty confusing, apparently poorly defined stuff. Who are the intended beneficiaries? Since the TSSAA is responsible for high school sports in TN, does this improve the level of athletic opportunities for the kids in the state? Specifically to our sport, does it make TN wrestling more competitive on a national level? Is this the goal or is it something else?

Edited by mtnrasslin

This is some pretty confusing, apparently poorly defined stuff. Who are the intended beneficiaries? Since the TSSAA is responsible for high school sports in TN, does this improve the level of athletic opportunities for the kids in the state? Specifically to our sport, does it make TN wrestling more competitive on a national level? Is this the goal or is it something else?

Good points. From what I've heard from both the public and private sectors is that this is to curb the recruiting and unfair advantage some of the private schools and public schools have with open enrollment. It's not really directed so much towards the current DII schools. You basically have private schools competing in the public school division that are finding creative ways around the financial aide rules such as discounts for religious affiliation, work / study programs, ect.. In some cases they are more free to offer forms of aide that even the DII schools can. I personally know multiple families that applied to Dii schools and were told their financial costs after going through the process was going to be $4,000-7,000. They couldn't afford this but yet those same kids end up at a DI private schools with higher tuition than that and that supposedly give no financial aide? It also appears there is a huge concern over open enrollment public schools. Some schools allow you to attend their school even if you live in another school zone if you pay a small tuition fee. Obviously this allows the athletes to go to the school with the best athletic program for their respective sport in those instances. It's my understanding that the biggest concern is over football. I agree that if you offer any kind of financial assistance or tuition you should be in DII. What is going to happen in wrestling is that they will make yet another state wrestling tournament for the DIi small schools that are smaller.

Edited by rgiii

The definition of coach also needs to be determined when speaking of a "coaching link". Can only actual TSSAA coaches be part of a coaching link? Or can club coaches operating in school facilities be lumped into the definition?

Deadlift,

if they extended the rule to say anyone associated at a club that uses the high school facilities can cause a coaches link then wrestling clubs won't be able to find a gym to use in the state for practice and we even wouldn't be able to use high school gyms for AAU tournaments because that would be no different than a club using the gym and would cause a coaching link. Most of your club basketball and volleyball teams will practice at multiple high schools in their area wherever they can get gym space. We even have wrestling club programs that use multiple high schools looking for available mat space and the vast majority of our wrestling clubs feed into multiple high schools. There is no way to link the club use of any facility to this coaches link.

But you can link coaches and that is what they did. The rule is vague but it looks the intent is to create a complete separation of high school coaches and all club sports and outside sports activities like camps. Basically, anything the high school coaches could use to help to have direct contact with the student athetete that will allow them to recruit kids into their programs.

It is my understanding that to cause a coaches link it has to be someone at the high school who is a TSSAA approved coach(someone on the high school coaching staff, whether paid or volunteer) in that sport or a TSSAA strength and condition coach/trainer who works with that sport who has direct contact with a student athlete in a sports related activity at some point in the past 12 months prior to the transfer.

Deadlift,

if they extended the rule to say anyone associated at a club that uses the high school facilities can cause a coaches link then wrestling clubs won't be able to find a gym to use in the state for practice and we even wouldn't be able to use high school gyms for AAU tournaments because that would be no different than a club using the gym and would cause a coaching link. Most of your club basketball and volleyball teams will practice at multiple high schools in their area wherever they can get gym space. We even have wrestling club programs that use multiple high schools looking for available mat space and the vast majority of our wrestling clubs feed into multiple high schools. There is no way to link the club use of any facility to this coaches link.

But you can link coaches and that is what they did. The rule is vague but it looks the intent is to create a complete separation of high school coaches and all club sports and outside sports activities like camps. Basically, anything the high school coaches could use to help to have direct contact with the student athetete that will allow them to recruit kids into their programs.

It is my understanding that to cause a coaches link it has to be someone at the high school who is a TSSAA approved coach(someone on the high school coaching staff, whether paid or volunteer) in that sport or a TSSAA strength and condition coach/trainer who works with that sport who has direct contact with a student athlete in a sports related activity at some point in the past 12 months prior to the transfer.

They are not saying that kids from outside the school can't use the facilities. They are just saying the kids can't then transfer if there is a "coaching link" without penalty. It appears there is even a loophole between 8th and 9th grade for transfers and moves to happen even with a coaches link. You will still have transfers with this rule but it's going to force more to happen between 8th and 9th grade. Here's the complete rule again, but the loophole for MS/youth kids is the last part.

Legislative Council Voted to Approve the Proposed Addition to Article II, Section 13 (Ineligible Transfer Students):

e. If a student with an athletic record transfers into a new school where an “athletic coaching link†existed in the past 12 months, that student is ineligible for 12 months at all levels in the specific sports where a link was present. Links include (1) attendance at an individual camp (and then transferring); (2) playing on non-school (independent) teams (and then transferring to that coach’s school); (3) transferring into a school where a former coach has just been hired; and (4) transferring into a school where a former or current personal trainer or strength and conditioning coach is employed.

This rule does not apply if the student moves to his/her new school after completion of the highest ending grade at his/her previous school.

Edited by deadlift