Best baseball players in Nortwest Tennessee

thebeave

Beave, we all know that Laney could not pitch at the major DI level, and that was what this discussion was initially about. However, as a catcher that is where his is fair. I do believe that if he can overcome his academic situaition he could be in UTM's starting rotation as a true freshmen. Still, he is only OVC calibur.

Likewise, to whomever made the comment about 90% of high school hitters being undisciplined, it is the 10% that are that either get drafted or play big time college ball.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skyhawk is not a player....however, Laney can pitch in the OVC, trust me, or get a bat and see what you can do against him. He will challenge a hitter, and sometimes in spots that will get him into trouble. Put him in a rotation and when his day comes, he will be ready. He will win his share of games this year, if his team will just get him 2 or 3 runs, which shouldn't be asking alot with Hill, Nanney, Shadden, Serratt, Belote, Nielsen, Simmons, Laney himself, and several other good contact hitters in the lineup.

I've been observing everyone's opinions towards who the players to watch in west tennessee are. I respect the one's posted, but I feel that Henry County deserves more respect. Henry County in 2001 started 3 freshman, 4 sophomore, 1 junior, 1 senior. Henry County split decisions w/ martin westview. They beat mickey dobson..and held Hill to few hits. Now, don't misunderstand what i'm saying...I think rafael Hill and Laney are tremendous players..but watch for Henry County's Studs..

Matt Lee - CF/P 4.6 in the 40..covers ground like Hill. Lefty that brings tremendous leadership to the Henry County team..Junior coming into the season.

Justin Stutzman - 3rd/P Stutzman started everygame but 1 last year for Henry County as a freshman. He hit 360..had over 40 hits, a game winning homerun, over 30 RBI's, only two errors all year, and was voted ALL-District. Don't forget that the boy has about a 3.7 GPA.

Marquis Dumas - C/Of Dumas is a junior who made a tremendous impact for the patriots in 2001. He had two homeruns in the district tournament..and he has a cannon for an arm behind the plate. He was ahead of Stutzman by 2 tenths point for the highest teams batting average. He joined Stutzman on the All-District team, and he also comes in as a junior looking to make another run at Rossview..the PRE_SEASON Favorites!!

Dobson will pitch in the majors in a few years,just because he signed with the Skyhawks doesn't mean he doesn't have talent.Many major D-1 colleges were after him but he signed with UTM because of personal family considerations and economic reasons.UTM is coming on and anyone that knows anything about the money involved in college scholarships knows that major D-1 schools don't offer alot of money to baseball players.With only 11 1/2 scholarships to offer and 40 players on a roster,math tells you many players get no money.Besides,if more players like him sign, the team will improve.The number 1 draft choice in the majors played for Ball State last year.What did they win? where you go to school has nothing to do with your talent level!

The players to watch at Henry Co. are the skinny right-hander and the HUGE 1B/Pitcher. Stutzman had a good year but he still has a lot of work to do. If he keeps growing and working, he will be a horse one day, its too early to call right now. Dumas can play as well. He has all the tools colleges look for. Henry County could win their district because of their wealth of talent and solid core of players who have been together for quite a while. The tradition is obviously there. Rossview and Henry Co. should be three very good games.

As for Dobson, this is a high school sports posting area. I hope you are right miked. It would be great for the small town of Martin to send a boy to the majors. For this to happen, he has a whole lot of work ahead of him. Whether it is the OVC or the SEC, college baseball is a HUGE jump for most high school players. There have been very few players the likes of Josh Archer, Brian Baker, and Steve Finley around this area of the state to make a bold prediction like that, but I would LOVE to see it.

Beaver Henry County's team this year will evolve around matt lee, dumas, pratt, and stutzman at third. These four guys carry that team as far as they'll go. I enjoyed reading your opinions. I agree I hit against dobson last season..he changes speed very well..but i don't know if you can say big league's just yet. The potential is there..but you got to hold up on that statement.

Actually, I heard that he had a decent fall and will throw this spring. A redshirt might still be used, it depends on how he does early in the year. I hope he takes a redshirt and really gets on the weights. I also feel that being around pitchers at home games can do nothing but help him learn how to manage a game better.

Back to High School, Henry Co.'s pitching staff will be the men who carry that team. You have to have depth in the region that Henry Co. plays in. Coach Putman can tell you this. I was proud of the boys that stepped up last year after all the talent that graduated the year before. They proved a lot of people wrong and showed how good of a coach Putman is.