BA @ Baylor - Big Early Season Matchup

TnTxn

BA put up a running clock the whole second half in three games, but was worn down physically in their other game. Baylor is undefeated and seems to be playing great. Should be a really good matchup between two really talented teams and a great barometer of where both teams are early in the season.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be right about playing a weak team.  But, every ranking system I have seen ranks JCM as better than Howard, who Baylor played.  So, I don't see how that reasoning favors Baylor. And, while playing weak competition may not help momentum, getting injured definitely doesn't help.  Hopefully, playing the "weak" non-region teams has prevented injuries for both teams.  

Both BA and Baylor have only had one competitive game the last 3 weeks.  This game begins a tough 3 game stretch for BA - Baylor, Ensworth, MBA.  

Baylor's 33 defense typically causes problems for BA (and most offenses, for that matter!).  The 33 defense greatly neutralizes the size advantage, making the big OL block in space. It creates gaps the other defenders can shoot.  And Baylor always has quick, tough LBs who fly around making plays. The Baylor LBs must play well for Baylor to win.

BA tends to prefer to spread the field and get the ball in the hands of someone in open field.  When they get moving up-tempo, it can really gas a defense.  I look forward to watching the chess match.

I'll be rooting for the Eagles.....  But, I really respect and admire Baylor's program.  As an outsider looking in, Coach Massey seems to do a great job every year.

Depends on which Ba teams shows up. On paper no one should beat Ba this year but goofy things happen in football at Brentwood Academy . Baylor always plays Ba close. If Ba sticks to its same ole blah blah blah play calling early on in the game ( ie Trinity ) Baylor can certainly hang. I have rarely seen Ba creative enough to game plan a team based on its strengths and weaknesses.

I'll be up in the stands calling in my head what play Ba will run - could we get a little more creative in the next few weeks coach smith ??? Ba will need to be in order to win.

Should be a great game as and so should the MBA-McCallie game. Baylor has surprised this year so far although two of their opponents (Red Bank & Howard) are very weak football teams.

Since the game is at Baylor, I gotta think it will be close, but BA pulls it out in the end.

Should be a great game and so should the MBA-McCallie game.  Baylor has surprised this year so far although two of their opponents (Red Bank & Howard) are very weak football teams.

Since the game is at Baylor, I gotta think it will be close, but BA pulls it out in the end.

That is true that Baylor played two weak teams in Red Bank and Howard....I believe McCallie just played the same weak Red Bank last week. But don't forget that Baylor went on the road to beat Ensworth last week. Ensworth's first home loss in 5 years. This should be a whale of a game. But I give the edge to Baylor. That was a huge win and I think the momentum carries over.

That is true that Baylor played two weak teams in Red Bank and Howard....I believe McCallie just played the same weak Red Bank last week. But don't forget that Baylor went on the road to beat Ensworth last week. Ensworth's first home loss in 5 years. This should be a whale of a game. But I give the edge to Baylor. That was a huge win and I think the momentum carries over.

Don't forget that Memphis Trezevant, a 2A puiblic school, also won at Ensworth last week.  Ensworth is really down this year.  Beating them doesn't tell us much. 

Edited by owlbooster

Not sure how McCallie also playing Red Bank is relevant to my original post regarding Baylor and BA, but that's OK.  I gave Baylor credit for going to Nashville and beating Ensworth and also posting a W against Rhea County.

We'll obviously learn a lot more about both DII-AA Chattanooga teams a little later on tonight.

Edited by oldwiseone

2 of the top teams in Div II.  This matchup will go a long way in determing the Div II champion.  One of these two teams or MBA will win the title.  I'm personally pulling for the boys on the river.

Virtually every year, posters outside W TN don't include MUS in the discussion.  It's always the champ will come from  EHS, MBA, BA, Baylor and even McCallie.  I would remind the writer that MUS has played in 6 of the last 11 championship games and won 4 of them, and almost a 5th over the Evil Empire 2 years ago if it ween't for a complete meltdown of the 2 Owl QBs after 3 quarters.