LazIndex Top 10 Week 9 5A & 6A

LazIndexTN

Here are the numbers for you according to CoachT.

Knox West 2015 6-1

HC 7-1

KW 2014 14-1 State Champs

HC 10-3

KW 2013 13-2 State Runner Up

HC 15-0 State Champs

KW 2012 9-2

HC 8-3

KW 2011 11-3

HC 15-0 State Champs

KW 2010 11-3

HC 10-2

Knoxville West Five Year Total: 64-12 with one championship and one runner up.

Henry County Five Year Total: 65-9 with two state championships.

If you go one more year:

KW 4-6

HC 10-2

Knoxville West Six Year Total: 68-18

Henry County Six Year Total: 75-11

Any way you slice it Henry County is better the last five or last six years.  Just saying.

That's good stuff...they have one more win right now because of West bye week.

What I am saying is the 2 winningest 5A programs record wise are comparable and they are Ranked...? That is the question.  Prove it otherwise how they are ranked and without hesitation or question it seems every year...but not West this year.

I can't speak on computer rankings, but I think a lot of teams that win championships are judged that more intensely.  HC's success dates back to 2006.  We were always "respected", especially with having 2 SEC recruits in the backfield.  In fact, I think it could be argued that we had more talent in the late 2000s as we've ever had.  Unfortunately, they never won a gold ball.  That was accomplished by 2011 and then 2013.

Once your program wins a gold ball, expectations are heightened that much more for the foreseeable future.  A lot more eyes are on your program, at least for a couple of years, and with that comes snap judgments.  It goes back to never being as bad or as good as they say you are.

For example... Our 2011 team was comprised of a nasty defense, an experienced line, and a great mix of athleticism and intelligence at the skill positions.  Obviously, this is what you need to win a state championship.  I think we had 9 or 10 kids sign scholarships after that season.  Maybe more? I'm sure another HC fan knows. We lost 3 games the next season, which was solid, but not what we have come to expect. Probably a little less talent than 2011, but a veteran offensive line, veteran skill players, and a tough defense found a way to to win 15 straight in 2013. We lost a ton of starters off that team as well.

One thing that I've noticed during these years is how people think of HC.  In 2014, we lost our first game to Liberty and the entire state went quiet on us. Ended up losing to Ridgeway on the final drive a few weeks later, and it seemed like people thought HC was done for the season. We didn't lose another game until the quarterfinals against Ridgeway again.  This year, we lost to a great Liberty team in the first game of the season.  The coaches changed some things, and after a 22-20 defeat of Houston the next week, we have gone on to win our next 6 games by a combined score of 248-27, including a stretch of 5 straight shutouts.  However, many picked Gallatin to beat us this year. Clarksville as well.  When you're the gold standard of your area in your classification, and you're not destroying everyone that walks in your path like the previous team did to build that reputation, people are going to doubt your squad.  Just the way it works. 

I saw West at cookeville last year and they were very impressive to say the least.  To me, they were one of the best coached teams and their players seemed focused and executed well.  However, this year is a new year and West is not the same team.  They are still good and should make a playoff run. 

They aren't as flashy on offense or explosive...same Record right now as it was the same time last year. 6-1. Defensively this team is better in every category to date and last years Defense was great.  So not a whole lot has changed except the offensive scheme and the HC.

I can't speak on computer rankings, but I think a lot of teams that win championships are judged that more intensely.  HC's success dates back to 2006.  We were always "respected", especially with having 2 SEC recruits in the backfield.  In fact, I think it could be argued that we had more talent in the late 2000s as we've ever had.  Unfortunately, they never won a gold ball.  That was accomplished by 2011 and then 2013.

Once your program wins a gold ball, expectations are heightened that much more for the foreseeable future.  A lot more eyes are on your program, at least for a couple of years, and with that comes snap judgments.  It goes back to never being as bad or as good as they say you are.

For example... Our 2011 team was comprised of a nasty defense, an experienced line, and a great mix of athleticism and intelligence at the skill positions.  Obviously, this is what you need to win a state championship.  I think we had 9 or 10 kids sign scholarships after that season.  Maybe more? I'm sure another HC fan knows. We lost 3 games the next season, which was solid, but not what we have come to expect. Probably a little less talent than 2011, but a veteran offensive line, veteran skill players, and a tough defense found a way to to win 15 straight in 2013. We lost a ton of starters off that team as well.

One thing that I've noticed during these years is how people think of HC.  In 2014, we lost our first game to Liberty and the entire state went quiet on us. Ended up losing to Ridgeway on the final drive a few weeks later, and it seemed like people thought HC was done for the season. We didn't lose another game until the quarterfinals against Ridgeway again.  This year, we lost to a great Liberty team in the first game of the season.  The coaches changed some things, and after a 22-20 defeat of Houston the next week, we have gone on to win our next 6 games by a combined score of 248-27, including a stretch of 5 straight shutouts.  However, many picked Gallatin to beat us this year. Clarksville as well.  When you're the gold standard of your area in your classification, and you're not destroying everyone that walks in your path like the previous team did to build that reputation, people are going to doubt your squad.  Just the way it works. 

Great Point and our local media here is doing exactly that.

You are right the RB is at Tech, OLB Air Force, and the QB is RB at Woffard. Im sure there were more that went to D2 and D3 places

Cottrell-GT

Hoxie-Air Force

Burch-Furman

Marshall-Wofford

Perry-UTC

Tate-Lindsey Wilson

Bacon-Cumberlands(offers from APSU and Campbell)

Pridemore-Kenyon D3

Had 2 others who had offers...chose not to play.

We all need to remember these are all teams made up of 15-18 yr old kids the way a team starts isn't indicative of the team they are at the end of the year. Strong programs will have down years and bad games. Statewide rankings based solely on records are not a clear indication of the true landscape of a given class. IMO, 5A football in Middle TN is much stronger than in East TN (Knox West being the exception). Since moving to 6 classifications, only one champion has been from East TN and that was last year. Many teams have inflated records because of the level of competition they play throughout the regular season. In most cases I would say a 2-3 loss team in Middle TN is every bit as good as a 1 loss or undefeated team in East TN. Until some of the other teams show they can win it, that's just the way I see it.

We all need to remember these are all teams made up of 15-18 yr old kids the way a team starts isn't indicative of the team they are at the end of the year. Strong programs will have down years and bad games. Statewide rankings based solely on records are not a clear indication of the true landscape of a given class. IMO, 5A football in Middle TN is much stronger than in East TN (Knox West being the exception). Since moving to 6 classifications, only one champion has been from East TN and that was last year. Many teams have inflated records because of the level of competition they play throughout the regular season. In most cases I would say a 2-3 loss team in Middle TN is every bit as good as a 1 loss or undefeated team in East TN. Until some of the other teams show they can win it, that's just the way I see it.

Whoever comes out of the reg. 5/6 bracket will have earned it. Indy, Hillsboro, Hendersonville, and Beech are all capable. The 7/8 isn't as deep, but Henry County and Centennial are 2 great teams as well. Don't overlook a region 8 team getting hot, like Southwind. We all know the problem is not talent in Memphis. I know they are some good 5A teams out east, but it's hard for me to not think that 5 of the best 6 or 7 5A teams are split between Sumner, Williamson, and Henry County.

Whoever comes out of the reg. 5/6 bracket will have earned it. Indy, Hillsboro, Hendersonville, and Beech are all capable. The 7/8 isn't as deep, but Henry County and Centennial are 2 great teams as well. Don't overlook a region 8 team getting hot, like Southwind. We all know the problem is not talent in Memphis. I know they are some good 5A teams out east, but it's hard for me to not think that 5 of the best 6 or 7 5A teams are split between Sumner, Williamson, and Henry County.

Exactly

I didn't even mention Knox West in the post you quoted. Knox West had absolutely nothing to do with that post. So I'm not sure what you are getting at. You should probably calm down though. No need to get upset over an internet message board.

The last thing I am is upset. And  yes it was a slight by saying Farragut had no business in the top 10 because they lost to knox west. You're not fooling anyone pal.

Rhea county is 4-3 with no quality wins. Granted their losses are to pretty good teams, but they haven't beat anyone. Not sure how they could be that high. And didn't OR just get blown out?

Outside of a couple of teams I think East TN football is weak. Again, don't get me wrong, those few teams are really good, but overall I think it's weak.

In this were 3a/4a they'd hang u...id cut u down but they'd hang u...ppl hate the truth

Here are the numbers for you according to CoachT.

Knox West 2015 6-1

HC 7-1

KW 2014 14-1 State Champs

HC 10-3

KW 2013 13-2 State Runner Up

HC 15-0 State Champs

KW 2012 9-2

HC 8-3

KW 2011 11-3

HC 15-0 State Champs

KW 2010 11-3

HC 10-2

Knoxville West Five Year Total: 64-12 with one championship and one runner up.

Henry County Five Year Total: 65-9 with two state championships.

If you go one more year:

KW 4-6

HC 10-2

Knoxville West Six Year Total: 68-18

Henry County Six Year Total: 75-11

Any way you slice it Henry County is better the last five or last six years.  Just saying.

Well played

I saw West at cookeville last year and they were very impressive to say the least.  To me, they were one of the best coached teams and their players seemed focused and executed well.  However, this year is a new year and West is not the same team.  They are still good and should make a playoff run.

I never get why ppl hang on to the past so much...those kids from 3 and 4 years ago aren't around to play anymore...at least not the HS level...so how could that possibly have any bearings on a ranking system

That's like saying the Yankees are the best team in baseball bc no one comes close to their championship total...even tho they're already out of the playoffs again...LET IT GO PEOPLE