Monterey at Jo Byrns

MOTO24

Feel bad for you guys having to make such a long trip to JB.  Great atmosphere, fans, players at JB though.  You'll enjoy it once you get there - very classy program.

And don't eat ahead of time.  Food at the stadium is good stuff.  

Thanks bud for the heads up i will for sure try it!!! Ya the new region alignment is crazy! I figured we would of stayed in the east and went to South pitt region cause its closest but some how columbia wound up in that one and we went west!!! First round for us is a long ways no matter what and to tough teams!!! Oh well it is what it is!!! Maybe someone from our region will make it till the end!!! We made it to semi last year and it was great playing so long!!! look at bright side you guys can say you made it cookeville when you played us lol

Edited by TALMAD

Looking at some film, Monterey runs a spread offense (or spread option) with some I-formation mixed in (smokestack ran to the motion side typically).  They have various formations but it's what I call a spread offense.  You've got the zone read or read option play along with various pass plays, slip screens, and delayed hand-offs.  I-formation runs are pretty typical.  JB runs the exact same offense.  It shouldn't be too hard for these teams to come up with a game plan.  Should be a good game.  I'll be glad when this weather moves out of here; should have nice weather for the game.

Looking at some film, Monterey runs a spread offense (or spread option) with some I-formation mixed in (smokestack ran to the motion side typically).  They have various formations but it's what I call a spread offense.  You've got the zone read or read option play along with various pass plays, slip screens, and delayed hand-offs.  I-formation runs are pretty typical.  JB runs the exact same offense.  It shouldn't be too hard for these teams to come up with a game plan.  Should be a good game.  I'll be glad when this weather moves out of here; should have nice weather for the game.

Suppose to be great weather friday night!!! My son is 14 in the films! He just a sophomore! He told me last night the coach said the teams resemble alot on O!!! We dont look to the passing game alot except on screens!! We run a Heavy backfield on smoke! I am excited about this game! Be easy on us! lol

Moto, how good is this Jo Byrns team compared to 2008-2010 range?

This team isn't on that level for several reasons.  The most glaring reason is a lack of a dominant run game.  Those JB teams of the past could pound the ball and play defense with the best of them.  Obviously didn't work out in the championship games but still darn good.  Our leading rusher this year is our fullback with 982 yards on the year.  He's really tough to bring down but we're not setup to pound it with him 30 times a game.  Our defense is pretty good but lacks depth and a dominant d-lineman to draw double teams.

I think we're good enough to make it past the first round but that's about it.

Suppose to be great weather friday night!!! My son is 14 in the films! He just a sophomore! He told me last night the coach said the teams resemble alot on O!!! We dont look to the passing game alot except on screens!! We run a Heavy backfield on smoke! I am excited about this game! Be easy on us! lol

I seen him...pretty impressive making plays as a sophomore.  No chance of going easy on y'all.  I'm sure you guys won't either.

This team isn't on that level for several reasons. The most glaring reason is a lack of a dominant run game. Those JB teams of the past could pound the ball and play defense with the best of them. Obviously didn't work out in the championship games but still darn good. Our leading rusher this year is our fullback with 982 yards on the year. He's really tough to bring down but we're not setup to pound it with him 30 times a game. Our defense is pretty good but lacks depth and a dominant d-lineman to draw double teams.

I think we're good enough to make it past the first round but that's about it.

Always good talking to you Moto.

Looking at some film, Monterey runs a spread offense (or spread option) with some I-formation mixed in (smokestack ran to the motion side typically). They have various formations but it's what I call a spread offense. You've got the zone read or read option play along with various pass plays, slip screens, and delayed hand-offs. I-formation runs are pretty typical. JB runs the exact same offense. It shouldn't be too hard for these teams to come up with a game plan. Should be a good game. I'll be glad when this weather moves out of here; should have nice weather for the game.

Thanks for this info. Im expecting a Rd 1 game of WC/Monterey and a 2nd rd of WC/JB so facing a team tht runs a similar offense will help us prepare for JB....IF thats how everything shakes out!

I will echo Moto jus a tad,,, this JB team plays very hard and coach Adkins has always been able to get more out of kids than what's expected, those past teams that made it to state game had some pretty dang good 1A ball players,, we've got a cpl 2 or 3 fr & soph studs coming up thru the ranks that are currently starting and will have a huge impact in a yr or two with the current experience they are getting,, looking foward to Friday night and this may very well come down to who has the ball last to get the W,,, as Moto said and I agree, I think we're good enough to make it to the 2nd round but that's bout it,,, be a gud game at the Dungeon fri night ! And go TC !!

I will echo Moto jus a tad,,, this JB team plays very hard and coach Adkins has always been able to get more out of kids than what's expected, those past teams that made it to state game had some pretty dang good 1A ball players,, we've got a cpl 2 or 3 fr & soph studs coming up thru the ranks that are currently starting and will have a huge impact in a yr or two with the current experience they are getting,, looking foward to Friday night and this may very well come down to who has the ball last to get the W,,, as Moto said and I agree, I think we're good enough to make it to the 2nd round but that's bout it,,, be a gud game at the Dungeon fri night ! And go TC !!

We haven't talked in a bit...

For what it's worth...I talked with a guy who knows Springfield athletics pretty well.  He told me we will be getting some athletes in the coming years with the school zone changes.  He said Darden's, Woodard's, & Chapman's to name a few.  He told me about a kid (last name Woodard) who is 11 and can't be tackled, averaging 60 yards a carry.  The only problem is MBA is all over him.  He gave me a quick run down of some of the athletes that Springfield has that are going to MBA, Ensworth, CPA, etc. and I was shocked.  It's amazing how much talent Springfield has.  I've seen JPII, Goodpasture, & Davidson Academy buses in Springfield.  He said Ensworth has a bus that picks up kids at the Applebee's every morning.

Anyway, we should be getting more talent to go along with the young guys we already have.  Hopefully it's enough to compete for championships in 2A.

We haven't talked in a bit...

For what it's worth...I talked with a guy who knows Springfield athletics pretty well. He told me we will be getting some athletes in the coming years with the school zone changes. He said Darden's, Woodard's, & Chapman's to name a few. He told me about a kid (last name Woodard) who is 11 and can't be tackled, averaging 60 yards a carry. The only problem is MBA is all over him. He gave me a quick run down of some of the athletes that Springfield has that are going to MBA, Ensworth, CPA, etc. and I was shocked. It's amazing how much talent Springfield has. I've seen JPII, Goodpasture, & Davidson Academy buses in Springfield. He said Ensworth has a bus that picks up kids at the Applebee's every morning.

Anyway, we should be getting more talent to go along with the young guys we already have. Hopefully it's enough to compete for championships in 2A.

You are correct ! If what you and I are hearing is true and I have no reason to believe otherwise, then the Devils fixn to be a power to reckon with real soon, bunches of talent and speed on the way !