Monterey at Jo Byrns

MOTO24

Did some research on this Monterey team I know next to nothing about... Heres what I gathered...

Have had a Football program since 1933

This is their 83rd season of Varsity Football

2-18 In TSSAA Playoffs since 1985. Got their 1st ever playoff win in the 2014 season.

4 straight postseason appearances

32 seasons of .500 or better seasons

Since 1990:

2-14 in Playoffs (Both Wins came in '14)

14 Playoff Appearances

Since 1933 they have had 6 seasons in which they won 8 games. Last season was the first time in their history they won more than 8 in a season (9).

Longest tenured coaches:

Ed Wheaton- 14 seasons '80-'86, '88-94

(71-72 0-7 in Playoffs)

Billy Heady- 10 seasons '04-'13

(51-56, 0-5 in Playoffs, 1-0 in Bowl games-'07)

• Upvote 1

Just a quick observation from our meeting with Monterey earlier in the year..........

Good bunch of boys and fans.  They could have easily packed it in or started playing dirty when we got up on them, but they didn't.

And for you Monterey folks, JB Coach Adkins is as classy as they come.

This is gonna be a good one.

Did some research on this Monterey team I know next to nothing about... Heres what I gathered...

Have had a Football program since 1933

This is their 83rd season of Varsity Football

2-18 In TSSAA Playoffs since 1985. Got their 1st ever playoff win in the 2014 season.

4 straight postseason appearances

32 seasons of .500 or better seasons

Since 1990:

2-14 in Playoffs (Both Wins came in '14)

14 Playoff Appearances

Since 1933 they have had 6 seasons in which they won 8 games. Last season was the first time in their history they won more than 8 in a season (9).

Longest tenured coaches:

Ed Wheaton- 14 seasons '80-'86, '88-94

(71-72 0-7 in Playoffs)

Billy Heady- 10 seasons '04-'13

(51-56, 0-5 in Playoffs, 1-0 in Bowl games-'07)

Thats some fine homework! In 1991 we went 8-2 got beat in first round by Trousdale and got thumped! We lost to Clay county that year by one point and got District runner up! I was on that team! We are a very small town of around 2800 people and a enrollment of around 290-310!!! Billy Heady went to Alcoa where he is currently a tight end coach last i heard and we are coached by Scott Hughes now who i heard turned down some bigger school offers such as TC when he came to monterey! Not ever been a powerhouse for Football but we have had some great Baseball teams and some good Basketball teams!!! Im glad we pose such a interest to you guys but we hope to upset this weekend and play Huntington! Win or Lose we just happy to make the Play offs every year!

Just a quick observation from our meeting with Monterey earlier in the year..........

Good bunch of boys and fans.  They could have easily packed it in or started playing dirty when we got up on them, but they didn't.

And for you Monterey folks, JB Coach Adkins is as classy as they come.

This is gonna be a good one.

Thanks dad lol! You guys was pretty good yourselfs! I got to admit even if you kicked us our kids beat ourselves when that nice bus pulled up lol thats all they talked about for weeks!!! Especially when you guys busted first play from scrimmage thank goodness it got called back!!!! Very classy bunch! I can already tell by Talking to MOTO24 and all the other JB guys that they are classy! Now dont get me wrong you let some officials make some bad calls and our crowd gets a little crazy!! lol

Thats some fine homework! In 1991 we went 8-2 got beat in first round by Trousdale and got thumped! We lost to Clay county that year by one point and got District runner up! I was on that team! We are a very small town of around 2800 people and a enrollment of around 290-310!!! Billy Heady went to Alcoa where he is currently a tight end coach last i heard and we are coached by Scott Hughes now who i heard turned down some bigger school offers such as TC when he came to monterey! Not ever been a powerhouse for Football but we have had some great Baseball teams and some good Basketball teams!!! Im glad we pose such a interest to you guys but we hope to upset this weekend and play Huntington! Win or Lose we just happy to make the Play offs every year!

Yes, I find your team intriguing because I know all about the other powers of your Region so to learn about yall is pretty cool. Kind of like discovering a new toy as a child for me haha

Yes, I find your team intriguing because I know all about the other powers of your Region so to learn about yall is pretty cool. Kind of like discovering a new toy as a child for me haha

You are a walking wealth of knowledge.  I'd hate to play trivial pursuit against you.  My mind doesn't work like that anymore  :(

You are a walking wealth of knowledge. I'd hate to play trivial pursuit against you. My mind doesn't work like that anymore :(

Haha thanks I just love stats and my hometown football team!! I've always been good with numbers. You should go check out mu Facebook page sometime. As we may be facing each other again in the playoffs..I think you would like it.

That must be every week then - LOL.  The officiating can get so frustrating.  Just too much going on for these small crews to see all infractions.You seen how we have to sit at TNtech with both Teams fans on same side! Well @ years ago that little Yellow ribbon could not split us and Wartburg enough! It was bad! Basically boiled down from bad calls on the field and the crowd got crazy! They was some suspensions from that game! Be glad when they get our field built and school! It will be a nice place to play also!

You seen how we have to sit at TNtech with both Teams fans on same side! Well @ years ago that little Yellow ribbon could not split us and Wartburg enough! It was bad! Basically boiled down from bad calls on the field and the crowd got crazy! They was some suspensions from that game! Be glad when they get our field built and school! It will be a nice place to play also!

Edited by TALMAD

Haha thanks I just love stats and my hometown football team!! I've always been good with numbers. You should go check out mu Facebook page sometime. As we may be facing each other again in the playoffs..I think you would like it.

I'd like to see it.  Got to meet wildcat89 and his boys last year at NCS - that was cool.  His boy that graduated last year was a special player.  And I didn't get to see him play healthy (because of the auto accident) except in the jamboree.  He made an awesome defensive play on that INT against us.