When Should I Introduce My Son to the Sport of Wrestling?

Mrfess

WHEN SHOULD I INTRODUCE MY SON TO THE SPORT OF WRESTLING?: A QUESTION REVISITED

http://www.obsessedwrestler.com/blog/when-should-i-introduce-my-son-to-the-sport-of-wrestling-a-question-revisited/

Take him to matches and practice when he is old enough to hold his own box of popcorn & soda.  Make it FUN!  He will tell you when he is ready to participate in practice. Edited by cbg

WHEN SHOULD I INTRODUCE MY SON TO THE SPORT OF WRESTLING?: A QUESTION REVISITED

http://www.obsessedwrestler.com/blog/when-should-i-introduce-my-son-to-the-sport-of-wrestling-a-question-revisited/

My son did not start until 6th grade. He has had some success but I wish we would have started sooner. I have spoke with several coaches and everyone is so welcoming and willing to teach the sport to anyone. What area do you live in?

Thanks, cbg. I like that!

My son did not start until 6th grade. He has had some success but I wish we would have started sooner. I have spoke with several coaches and everyone is so welcoming and willing to teach the sport to anyone. What area do you live in?

That's interesting. For some reason, that seems like a good age to start. Still young enough to develop in the sport, but old enough to know what it is he's engaging in. 

I'm actually from Minnesota. I follow wrestling forums around the country. 

I do not doubt that your level of expertice far surpasses mine. I was not exposed to wrestling until I was in my 30's. The area I grew up did not have it as a school sport. The reason I said what I did is that when we started there were already kids that were very good his age and younger. My son was stronger but these kids had the technique. My son has closed the gap and has beaten some of those kids recently. That first year was pretty rough though.

I guess I have talked myself into agreeing with you, lol.

I HATE TO SEE CHILDREN DECIDE AT 8 YEARS OLD THAT WRESTLING IS NOT FOR THEM. MY OLDEST SON STARTED WRESTLING AT 8. HE LOVED IT, BUT HE WAS NOT VERY COORDINATED AT THAT AGE, SO WAS NOT VERY COMPETITIVE. WE WENT TO THE 3RD TOURNAMENT OF THE YEAR AND HE GOT BEAT BY A GIRL. HE CAME TO ME THE NEXT DAY AND TOLD ME HE WANTED TO CONCENTRATE ON BASEBALL. HE NEVER WRESTLED AGAIN.

THE ANIMAL

This is a tough question. I personally started wrestling very young. I began when I was five. I'm not sure where you live so that may or not even be an option. However, I am very glad I started early. It gave me a leg up on most all competition and let me enjoy it more. However, there will always be a point if you start early where you get burnt out. It's almost inevitable. If you make sure your child is having fun though and doesn't think of wrestling as a job, then you should be fine!

Like most I started pretty young. Now that I have a 2year old of my own of course I hope he wants to wrestle one day, but if he chooses not to I wont love him any less. However, that said, if he chooses not to it doesnt mean Im going to just change my life around. Wrestling is a big part of my life, and I still enjoy going to matches at all levels. Im not going to stop hanging around my friends or stop going to matches because he doesnt want to wrestle. Hopefully that doesnt happen.

Right now hes at the age where wrestling with daddy is fun, we make it a game, its playtime. His godfather gave me great advice with raising a kid around the sport of wrestling and me being involved as well. Heres what he said...

"You be the dad, Ill be the coach." -- Ken Hammonds

I havent forgotten what hes told me, wrestling is fun with daddy and heck with Uncle Hamm.

ALWAYS BE CAREFUL HOW YOU ASK OR ENCOURAGE YOUR KIDS TO WRESTLE. IF YOU ASK THEM POINT BLANK "DO YOU WANT TO WRESTLE?" THEY MIGHT GIVE YOU THE WRONG ANSWER. AND ONCE THEY HAVE SAID "NO" IT IS HARD TO CHANGE THEIR MIND. INSTEAD TALK ABOUT WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO "LET" THE START WRESTLING. TAKE THEM TO MATCHES AND TELL THEM HOW IT IS GOING TO HELP THEM THROUGHOUT THEIR LIFE. THIS WAY THE DECISION HAS ALREADY BEEN MADE.

WHY SHOULD YOU LET THEM DECIDE AT A YOUNG AGE WHAT SPORTS THEY SHOULD PLAY. THEY SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE DECISIONS LIKE THIS, THAT WILL EFFECT THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. YOU DON'T LET THEM CHOOSE WHAT THEY WILL EAT AND WHEN THEY WILL GO TO BED. I HAVE HAD A BUNCH OF PARENTS TELL ME " I ASKED HIM AND HE DON'T WANT TO DO IT." AFTER THAT, THE CASE IS CLOSED.

THE ANIMAL

• Upvote 1

Like most I started pretty young. Now that I have a 2year old of my own of course I hope he wants to wrestle one day, but if he chooses not to I wont love him any less. However, that said, if he chooses not to it doesnt mean Im going to just change my life around. Wrestling is a big part of my life, and I still enjoy going to matches at all levels. Im not going to stop hanging around my friends or stop going to matches because he doesnt want to wrestle. Hopefully that doesnt happen.

Right now hes at the age where wrestling with daddy is fun, we make it a game, its playtime. His godfather gave me great advice with raising a kid around the sport of wrestling and me being involved as well. Heres what he said...

"You be the dad, Ill be the coach." -- Ken Hammonds

I havent forgotten what hes told me, wrestling is fun with daddy and heck with Uncle Hamm.

I agree. Making the sport fun is very important to the process. 

ALWAYS BE CAREFUL HOW YOU ASK OR ENCOURAGE YOUR KIDS TO WRESTLE. IF YOU ASK THEM POINT BLANK "DO YOU WANT TO WRESTLE?" THEY MIGHT GIVE YOU THE WRONG ANSWER. AND ONCE THEY HAVE SAID "NO" IT IS HARD TO CHANGE THEIR MIND. INSTEAD TALK ABOUT WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO "LET" THE START WRESTLING. TAKE THEM TO MATCHES AND TELL THEM HOW IT IS GOING TO HELP THEM THROUGHOUT THEIR LIFE. THIS WAY THE DECISION HAS ALREADY BEEN MADE.

WHY SHOULD YOU LET THEM DECIDE AT A YOUNG AGE WHAT SPORTS THEY SHOULD PLAY. THEY SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE DECISIONS LIKE THIS, THAT WILL EFFECT THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. YOU DON'T LET THEM CHOOSE WHAT THEY WILL EAT AND WHEN THEY WILL GO TO BED. I HAVE HAD A BUNCH OF PARENTS TELL ME " I ASKED HIM AND HE DON'T WANT TO DO IT." AFTER THAT, THE CASE IS CLOSED.

THE ANIMAL

That's an interesting perspective. I guess even how we communicate about introducing our child to the sport is important. 

I've been working on a reply to this thread. It's a great topic, so I'll just post what I have to this point.

Wrestling creates many emotions and a high percentage of youth are unable to process most of them. Those with a high level of aggression avoid a lot of these emotions, because they have success very early in competition. I feel the parents need to have a good read on their kid's ability to deal with powerful feelings. I've seen kids cry throughout matches they were winning. It's overwhelming. So even given a young kid's physical ability for wrestling, if he cannot process these emotions, many of which may be brand new to him, there's a good chance he'll turn away from the sport if he doesn't have the positive/appropriate support from his parents and coaches.

My oldest son would get upset at the Madden football video game because the coded announcers would say, "Boy, that was a stupid play call by the coach." I knew he could be sensitive, so I brought him into wrestling slowly. Around 3rd grade, I started taking him to club practice once a week and compete only in a couple tourneys the entire season. I did this for a few years, until he began developing more mature processing skills. As for learning the sport, he lost a lot of matches during these years. However, I knew puberty was the great equalizer and just encouraged along the way to just enjoy the battle and  to learn the techniques. Now, he loves it and is enjoying some success. My youngest son is a different creature. He’s required a completely different approach. Jury is still out, but he seems to be more competitive and more interested in the sport.

-TH

Edited by pantheon

I've been working on a reply to this thread. It's a great topic, so I'll just post what I have to this point.

Wrestling creates many emotions and a high percentage of youth are unable to process most of them. Those with a high level of aggression avoid a lot of these emotions, because they have success very early in competition. I feel the parents need to have a good read on their kid's ability to deal with powerful feelings. I've seen kids cry throughout matches they were winning. It's overwhelming. So even given a young kid's physical ability for wrestling, if he cannot process these emotions, many of which may be brand new to him, there's a good chance he'll turn away from the sport if he doesn't have the positive/appropriate support from his parents and coaches.

My oldest son would get upset at the Madden football video game because the coded announcers would say, "Boy, that was a stupid play call by the coach." I knew he could be sensitive, so I brought him into wrestling slowly. Around 3rd grade, I started taking him to club practice once a week and compete only in a couple tourneys the entire season. I did this for a few years, until he began developing more mature processing skills. As for learning the sport, he lost a lot of matches during these years. However, I knew puberty was the great equalizer and just encouraged along the way to just enjoy the battle and  to learn the techniques. Now, he loves it and is enjoying some success. My youngest son is a different creature. He’s required a completely different approach. Jury is still out, but he seems to be more competitive and more interested in the sport.

-TH

Great thoughts! I admit that there does seem to be a bit of subjectivity related to the uniqueness of each kid. But you bring up a great point about being in tune to your kid's ability to deal with emotions. Wrestling is an all-consuming sport, and dealing with high emotions is absolutely relevant.