Riund 3: Marshall County @ East Hamilton

Lead

I'm reminded of an old saying about how opening your mouth removes all doubt about being an idiot...If you think Ashton Posey is some kind of "system" QB, then you know absolutely nothing about the game of football. The kid has a cannon for an arm, is a very effective runner (especially in short yardage), and is an absolutely fantastic competitor and teammate. Osteen is a very demanding QB coach, and Ashton has put in hundreds and hundreds of hours over the last two years developing into an elite QB. He now has over 5,000 yards passing in his career. You think all those yards came from jet sweeps? I've been at every MC game the last two years and I can promise you that that play is run 4-6 times a game, maximum. So for you to make that comment is absurd.

Also, it's always been true that great coaches have good players to coach--and Marshall County certainly has a lot of good players. But, how would you explain the curb stomping that Osteen and the Tigers put on your Spring Hill Raiders? They arguably have more talent than Marshall, plus they have TWO players who have been offered by SEC schools while Marshall County has ZERO. The difference, of course, was in coaching. Look at all those athletes Spring Hill has and look at their 3-7 record. Meanwhile, we're planning a trip to Chattanooga this Friday...

Now take those 5-6 jet sweeps and throw in the 5-6 screens and those yards start adding up. I do agree with you about the running aspect of Posey. In fact that is where I think his greatest strength is. I also agree that he is a tough and competitive kid, but he is an average thrower much like Oden. The difference is that Oden does not play in a system conducive to putting up those numbers. Yes we have a couple of players with major college offers but I think anyone with any type of football knowledge will tell you that Oden will not play QB in college. The other kid (a DB) went down very early in our game against you all. Don't get me wrong you all would still have whipped us. The difference in the game was we couldn't block you all up front and you could block us. You are proving my original point that many average coaches would win with Marshalls talent.

Also I never said that Marshall wasn't a great team. They are. But if you where to poll the public around middle Tennessee, Marshall County would be chosen one of the schools with the poorest sportsmanship and low class fans and teams. That is just fact.

Edited by BooWhoWiseMan

We've only allowed more 26 points or more twice this season and only lost one of those. Both times to pretty good 5a playoff teams. The most a 4a school has put on us is 14 (16 with the intentional safety) and that was last week against the undefeated region champ. At this point with the info that is available 28 is attainable but not likely against our defense.

At this point in the playoffs, everyone has speed. They do sound like they have numerous fast backs to run the ball, but only one can run with the ball at a time. We have plenty enough speed on defense to play with anyone. If you look at our schedule, our struggles are in the offense. Defense has stepped it up and I don't see them have that much of a drop off this week.

I think EH can hang with anyone.  I haven't seen Marshall, but I'm picking EH in this one.

Mcvolfan can you give us some info about the EH vs LA earlier this year? I know it was 7 point loss by EH. They were a good team but seems like EH should of handled them.

Probably so, but when your nursing multiple injuries, first long road trip of the season, not knowing what to expect against a team you've never played, on a field that was .....lets just say lousy. We didn't prepare well enough evidently. That or even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. I honestly don't know. Maybe didn't take them serious. Maybe they just match up better against us. Watch the film it's all there.

Remember Linder for LA, Marshall has about 5-6 with that type speed....and I know how Linder give Eh problems. Just my opinion.

Yep, Linder and the QB gave us fits running the ball. Keep on doubting us, we don't have a chance because LA beat us and Marshall beat LA. I think everyone knows that game was an anomaly. After all is said and done we're still playing football at EH while all your plateau boys are inside bouncing a ball. But we will be joining you next week according to all the critics on here. Keep it coming, we like it.

Now take those 5-6 jet sweeps and throw in the 5-6 screens and those yards start adding up. I do agree with you about the running aspect of Posey. In fact that is where I think his greatest strength is. I also agree that he is a tough and competitive kid, but he is an average thrower much like Oden. The difference is that Oden does not play in a system conducive to putting up those numbers. Yes we have a couple of players with major college offers but I think anyone with any type of football knowledge will tell you that Oden will not play QB in college. The other kid (a DB) went down very early in our game against you all. Don't get me wrong you all would still have whipped us. The difference in the game was we couldn't block you all up front and you could block us. You are proving my original point that many average coaches would win with Marshalls talent.

Also I never said that Marshall wasn't a great team. They are. But if you where to poll the public around middle Tennessee, Marshall County would be chosen one of the schools with the poorest sportsmanship and low class fans and teams. That is just fact.

I'm sorry, I thought that good coaches fit the "system" around their kids' talent, not fit the talent into their system.  Guess that's why Spring Hill is 11-1 and Marshall is 3-7--OH WAIT....

According to unapproved website, Posey is averaging 14.6 yards a completion. Uh, that's a pretty healthy number for a high school quarterback at this level of football. 

And if an average coach would win with Marshall's talent, then why was Marshall so terrible when the previous head coach was there? He had this year's senior class that is now 11-1 and last year's senior class that was 8-3--and had one of the best players in the state in Chris Walker--but his combined record in two years of being the head coach was 9-13. 

Heck, our season may end Friday night and we may even get out coached (who knows!?), but that doesn't take anything away from the job this coaching staff has done in getting kids prepared to play, believing in themselves, and being the most physical team on the field every single week.

Any of this other crap you're trying to spew about what outsiders' perceptions of Marshall County football and fans are is just that--crap. We've got a bunch of great football players and more importantly fine young men who play the game the right way.  

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, I thought that good coaches fit the "system" around their kids' talent, not fit the talent into their system. Guess that's why Spring Hill is 11-1 and Marshall is 3-7--OH WAIT....

According to unapproved website, Posey is averaging 14.6 yards a completion. Uh, that's a pretty healthy number for a high school quarterback at this level of football.

And if an average coach would win with Marshall's talent, then why was Marshall so terrible when the previous head coach was there? He had this year's senior class that is now 11-1 and last year's senior class that was 8-3--and had one of the best players in the state in Chris Walker--but his combined record in two years of being the head coach was 9-13.

Heck, our season may end Friday night and we may even get out coached (who knows!?), but that doesn't take anything away from the job this coaching staff has done in getting kids prepared to play, believing in themselves, and being the most physical team on the field every single week.

Any of this other crap you're trying to spew about what outsiders' perceptions of Marshall County football and fans are is just that--crap. We've got a bunch of great football players and more importantly fine young men who play the game the right way.

Answer is simple. Your last coach wasn't very good!! Again I never said Osteen wasn't a good coach. I said a lot of coaches would be just as successful with the talent he is playing with. Tell me which of the following you disagree: Marshall has more athletes than:

Lawrence co-yes

Tullahoma-yes

Giles-yes

Page-yes

Spring Hill-arguable

and I could go on except for Overton and Maplewood maybe.

Marshall has a bigger and more experience line on both sides of the ball than:

Lawrence:yes

Tullahoma- yes

Giles-yes

Page-yes

Spring Hill-yes

Not knocking the coaches just saying when you have the bigger, faster and better athletes then you should win

Yep, Linder and the QB gave us fits running the ball. Keep on doubting us, we don't have a chance because LA beat us and Marshall beat LA. I think everyone knows that game was an anomaly. After all is said and done we're still playing football at EH while all your plateau boys are inside bouncing a ball. But we will be joining you next week according to all the critics on here. Keep it coming, we like it.

Come on big guy.. everyone knows it was an anomaly but you. LA is accustomed to playing good football teams. Winning some and losing some. So, on that night with EH, we had to win. You play with what you have and move on. So, good luck to you. You will need it. MC will be the best team you've played to date.

And don't be doubting our round ball skills either... LA has sent Chattanooga home on several sub-state appearances. ;)

Excuse me mr boo-freaking-Hoo ....you think you and your Team and fans are so classy I will again point out during the night we played y'all it was YOUR fans the cops were called to contain and YOUR coach that flipped off our entire bleachers! I have lots of customers and friends from Springhill and they were embarrassed by that. I will say it again people that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks! Now run along and go hop on another teams thread. We have a playoff game to get ready for. #leftamark GO TIGERS!

Excuse me mr boo-freaking-Hoo ....you think you and your Team and fans are so classy I will again point out during the night we played y'all it was YOUR fans the cops were called to contain and YOUR coach that flipped off our entire bleachers! I have lots of customers and friends from Springhill and they were embarrassed by that. I will say it again people that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks! Now run along and go hop on another teams thread. We have a playoff game to get ready for. #leftamark GO TIGERS!

+1

Come on big guy.. everyone knows it was an anomaly but you. LA is accustomed to playing good football teams. Winning some and losing some. So, on that night with EH, we had to win. You play with what you have and move on. So, good luck to you. You will need it. MC will be the best team you've played to date.

And don't be doubting our round ball skills either... LA has sent Chattanooga home on several sub-state appearances. ;)

Thanks for the compliment buddy!