Sullivan Central Football Head Coach Opening

GoVols119

Something needed to be done but personally I wish that the folks in Bloomingdale hadn't raised such a fuss when they proposed sending the kids at North over to South and having 3 county high schools. Instead we got a big county-wide study and the kids in Bloomingdale are having to go all the way to the airport area. I still have one kid who will graduate from South and with my job being in Kingsport it has been real convenient for me. I would not have fussed much if the decision had been made to send the high schoolers to North for the same reason as long as they would have been able to restore all the programs there that they have had to stop due to dwindling student population at North. Instead, for anyone who has a Kingsport centric life they will now have to shuttle all the way out to the airport all the time which will not be convenient. I would not like that but I won't have to deal with it. The facilities at South are fairly nice for a county school and there is a fair amount of community support. Academics have been very good too. I just don't know if that same level of "community" support will extend that far out. I honestly detest the Kingsport government that has decimated the county schools by only taking in what they want over the western part of the county and leaving these little pockets of population scattered out over a wide geographic area for the county to deal with.

I don't know a whole lot about what's been going on so appreciate helping me understand it a little better.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know a whole lot about what's been going on so appreciate helping me understand it a little better.

Well basically, the facilities study looked at what the school populations are going to be in 5 years then 10 years then whatever else.  Based on how things are going, North and South were going to continue to decline, Central and East are declining but not as fast.  So.... consolidation with a brand new school, East is going to be renovated, Central, South, and North are closing as high schools, South and Central become middle schools, Sullivan East and Sullivan.....whatever the new school will be will be your high schools.  Sullivan North will be sold to Kingsport City. New middle school in the East zone as well.

Number wise and football wise, you can look to this to happen 2020 or 2021.  As of the 2013 numbers, Sullivan Central was the largest school in the county and East was 2nd.  North and South numbers were way down.  Putting together North and South when they decide to do it will put the numbers are the school around 1200-1400 kids.  300 kids from the central zone are going to the new school, the rest are going to Sullivan East. 

Numbers wise, both schools will look to have 1500-1700 kids.  For the new school, this will be fine.  For East, no way.  You could fit maybe 200 more students in the school, but unless you add more rooms, not happening.  Right now East has about 900-950 students.  Sports wise, you are looking at both schools being 5A and AAA in  all other sports.

Nothing is officially set in stone, even the funding.  County Commission can still axe everything if they want to, but it doesn't seem like they are.  

That's basically everything I think.  No word on who is getting the Central job, but I've heard interviews are either happening or will be happening soon.

Well basically, the facilities study looked at what the school populations are going to be in 5 years then 10 years then whatever else. Based on how things are going, North and South were going to continue to decline, Central and East are declining but not as fast. So.... consolidation with a brand new school, East is going to be renovated, Central, South, and North are closing as high schools, South and Central become middle schools, Sullivan East and Sullivan.....whatever the new school will be will be your high schools. Sullivan North will be sold to Kingsport City. New middle school in the East zone as well.

Number wise and football wise, you can look to this to happen 2020 or 2021. As of the 2013 numbers, Sullivan Central was the largest school in the county and East was 2nd. North and South numbers were way down. Putting together North and South when they decide to do it will put the numbers are the school around 1200-1400 kids. 300 kids from the central zone are going to the new school, the rest are going to Sullivan East.

Numbers wise, both schools will look to have 1500-1700 kids. For the new school, this will be fine. For East, no way. You could fit maybe 200 more students in the school, but unless you add more rooms, not happening. Right now East has about 900-950 students. Sports wise, you are looking at both schools being 5A and AAA in all other sports.

Nothing is officially set in stone, even the funding. County Commission can still axe everything if they want to, but it doesn't seem like they are.

That's basically everything I think. No word on who is getting the Central job, but I've heard interviews are either happening or will be happening soon.

Thanks for the information.

From a source within the school, the interviews have taken place, they were a week ago. From what I have heard, one did not even show up for the interview, another showed up in blue jeans, cowboy boots and a tshirt. I have also heard that they also asked one of the candidates to take a praxis test to get qualified to teach. The faculty and team members are getting frustrated with the administration in that it is taking so long to hire a coach and that they did not give anyone on the current staff a interview. 

From a source within the school, the interviews have taken place, they were a week ago. From what I have heard, one did not even show up for the interview, another showed up in blue jeans, cowboy boots and a tshirt. I have also heard that they also asked one of the candidates to take a praxis test to get qualified to teach. The faculty and team members are getting frustrated with the administration in that it is taking so long to hire a coach and that they did not give anyone on the current staff a interview.

Thats sounds awful and its a very sad situation at Central.

A successful coach from GA was offered the job, but consolidation was an issue, and trying to get his wife a job in the area was a problem.

He was part of a very successful program in Metro ATL, making the GA state playoffs 8 consecutive years from 08-15, during that span they won 4 region titles with 3 3rd round appearances, an elite 8 and final 4 appearance.

A successful coach from GA was offered the job, but consolidation was an issue, and trying to get his wife a job in the area was a problem.

He was part of a very successful program in Metro ATL, making the GA state playoffs 8 consecutive years from 08-15, during that span they won 4 region titles with 3 3rd round appearances, an elite 8 and final 4 appearance.

Speaking of consolidation, here is a great question:  Who gets the head coaching job at the new school?  I don't think it would be safe to assume that South's head coach would immediately get the job.  I think you are seeing an actual search for that position.  I could be wrong.  Lots of issues.  South and North's staff (even some Central) will be vying for coaching positions, and the rest are added over to East on their staff.

Speaking of South, very quiet this off season.  I had heard at the end of the season the wheels fell off and we had some parents being very vocal to the staff.  Any truth about that?  Just feels odd not to see the South fans talking it up this year.

Central announced their new head coach today: Chris Steger from Stewart Creek HS. Here is the story from WJHL:

Sullivan Central High School has named Christopher L. Steger as the new head football coach.

Principal Mark Foster told News Channel 11, Steger returns to the Tri-Cities after serving at offensive line coach at Stewart Creek High School in Smyrna, TN.

“Coach Steger brings with him tremendous enthusiasm, passion and values that we feel will be a key for success as he leads the Central Cougars into the 2016 season. In addition, to his coaching duties, he will be joining our teaching staff as an economics and personal finance teacher, said Principal Foster.

Foster also says that Steger is no stranger to the East Tennessee. He is a graduate of Elizabethton High School and over the years he’s coached and taught at Halls High School in Knoxville.