Best wrestler per class

smpanthers

Its a shame we wont get a chance to see Nick and Sammy square off this season. That'd be worth the price of admission.

May be beyond the scope of this thread, but can someone please explain to me why we have two separate D1 individual state championships?  If a kid from BGA has to beat wrestlers from Baylor, Ryan and CBHS to be crowned state champion, why can't a kid from Alcoa compete against individuals from Bradley and Cleveland (or Riverdale for that matter) ?

May be beyond the scope of this thread, but can someone please explain to me why we have two separate D1 individual state championships?  If a kid from BGA has to beat wrestlers from Baylor, Ryan and CBHS to be crowned state champion, why can't a kid from Alcoa compete against individuals from Bradley and Cleveland (or Riverdale for that matter) ?

The adults that have been the decision makers don't want "Little Johnny" to get his feelings hurt.  I know that I am scarred for life because none of my coaches ever cared about my feelings!  We are now living in a soft society that is developing a group of soft individuals.  The theory is that everyone deserves to be a champion!  Helicopter parents have just about ruined a generation of kids.  Tennessee does not need more than one division for the individual state wrestling championships and we now have three.

• Upvote 1

The adults that have been the decision makers don't want "Little Johnny" to get his feelings hurt.  I know that I am scarred for life because none of my coaches ever cared about my feelings!  We are now living in a soft society that is developing a group of soft individuals.  The theory is that everyone deserves to be a champion!  Helicopter parents have just about ruined a generation of kids.  Tennessee does not need more than one division for the individual state wrestling championships and we now have three.

cbg, that's the post of the year right here. +1

It sucks for the few, and let me repeat few, small school kids that are legit and could be large school medalists or possible state champs. They have to always be told they were never proven. Yes they can possibly transfer but we all know how difficult that process can be. Should have never changed D1. There are too many negatives and no positives I can point out. Well I guess more kids = more money for TSSAA (gate fee for parents and concession and parking). Imagine that.

They should do a true state championship after the ones in February. All 18 medalists invited to one tournament. 5 pound weight allowance, I guess.

Problem is we have 18 medalists, 14 weight classes, 3 divisions, and I bet you could count on one hand how many of these kids would actually register.

We could make it a spectacle. Finals singlets, spotlighted finals, winners get a belt, most importantly TSSAA gets a cut of the profits. You could even possibly say free entry for all state champions and still make a good profit.

Nick Boykin (Riverdale) who is probably #2 @ 285 in Tennessee.  Nick won the Cadet Division in both Greco & Freestyle in Fargo.

Lot's of kids dropping weight classifications before the State Tournament.  Report is that Murphy (Baylor) is going to 145, Dendy (McCallie) is going down to 138 & Brackett (CBHS) is making the drop to 160.

I'm new to this...what high school is CBHS?

I'm new to this...what high school is CBHS?

Christian Brothers High School. Very tough team out of Memphis. Produced multiple Fargo AA's. A national champion, who currently starts at Indiana. While we're on this subject, does anybody know whatever became of Kaleb Baker? He was at Arizona State and that was the last I heard of him a couple years ago.

Edited by WrestlingGod

They should do a true state championship after the ones in February. All 18 medalists invited to one tournament. 5 pound weight allowance, I guess.

Problem is we have 18 medalists, 14 weight classes, 3 divisions, and I bet you could count on one hand how many of these kids would actually register.

We could make it a spectacle. Finals singlets, spotlighted finals, winners get a belt, most importantly TSSAA gets a cut of the profits. You could even possibly say free entry for all state champions and still make a good profit.

The "True State Champion" idea that you have proposed has been tried in other states and for the most part it has not worked very well.  Another issue is that the D2 state champions from Tennessee are now being invited to the National Prep School Championships @ Lehigh starting the week after the Tennessee state tournament. 

Just vote to put ALL the divisions back together for a one division state wrestling championship. 

Edited by cbg

The "True State Champion" idea that you have proposed has been tried in other states and for the most part it has not worked very well.  Another issue is that the D2 state champions from Tennessee are now being invited to the National Prep School Championships @ Lehigh starting the week after the Tennessee state tournament. 

Just vote to put ALL the divisions back together for a one division state wrestling championship. 

My guess is we have a better shot at this ridiculous "true state champion" tournament than the TSSAA ever admitting they've made a bad decision and cut the other two divisions.