Tyger Campbell article in GQ

sportsnerd

GQ magazine highlights Tyger Campbell on an article entitled: Just How Early Can You Spot the Next Lebron?

Interesting to get some insight into:

-  why Tyger came to CPA. Because he would not have been allowed to play HS as a freshman at most of the "baskeball prep schools".

- how he was recruited by basketball prep schools while playing at CPA

- the fact that his family did not move to Nashville then leave when he left CPA. This is actually their home now.

- the fact that rumors about Tyger's academic problems at CPA were just that - rumors.

- the fact that Drew hoped he would stay but knew the chances were slim.

- the racial slur episode at Creekwood last year.

The first time I saw him play I commented that I didn't feel he would ever stay 4 years at CPA. I thought he might stay one more year IF Blackwell stayed. I bet he knew Blackwell was leaving when he made his decision. I am excited for him and wish him all the best. I talked with him a couple of times and he is a very polite, mature, and smart young man. it was fun watching him play for CPA last year.

Here is the article: http://www.gq.com/story/next-lebron-james-tyger-campbell

GQ magazine highlights Tyger Campbell on an article entitled: Just How Early Can You Spot the Next Lebron?

-  why Tyger came to CPA. Because he would not have been allowed to play HS as a freshman at most of the "baskeball prep schools".

- the fact that his family did not move to Nashville then leave when he left CPA. This is actually their home now.

- the fact that rumors about Tyger's academic problems at CPA were just that - rumors.

The first time I saw him play I commented that I didn't feel he would ever stay 4 years at CPA. I thought he might stay one more year IF Blackwell stayed. I bet he knew Blackwell was leaving when he made his decision. I am excited for him and wish him all the best. I talked with him a couple of times and he is a very polite, mature, and smart young man. it was fun watching him play for CPA last year.

Yes, an inside look for the average "joe fan" in how these basketball families make decisions to transfer to a new school, even crossing state lines, via the "chance" meeting/conversation, both sides taking advantage of the opportunity presented.  

Thanks for sharing!

Interesting article. That kid is the real deal. I knew by watching him that he was not a legit 8th grader though. I have never in my life seen a 8th grader see the floor that well and have the body control and ability to score like that. No, 8th and 9th grade are not that much difference but if you are a student of the game and know what youre looking at you can see some difference. I wish him well and hope to see him on prime time TV soon. He can flat out play!

Interesting article. That kid is the real deal. I knew by watching him that he was not a legit 8th grader though. I have never in my life seen a 8th grader see the floor that well and have the body control and ability to score like that. No, 8th and 9th grade are not that much difference but if you are a student of the game and know what youre looking at you can see some difference. I wish him well and hope to see him on prime time TV soon. He can flat out play!

I agree. Lots of kids held back for sports - has been that way for a long time, but more so now because of the potential financial benefits (scholorships and pros). But that is a family decision, and I do not criticize them. I held a child back that wasn't an athlete because he needed another year of maturity, and it was a good decision. What is "legit"? Some kids who are "legit" are 8-10 months older than others in the same grade. IMO, if they are in the class, they are legit.