Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Buzzy Mann's Hall of Fame coaching career is coming to an end at Dobyns-Bennett...

http://www.timesnews.net/Sports/2017/07/13/After-21-years-D-B-wrestling-coach-ready-to-nbsp-turn-the-page

SPORTS LIVE 
After 21 years, D-B wrestling coach ready to ‘turn the page’

BY STEVE WILMOTH TRICITIESSPORTS.COM • JUL 13, 2017 AT 9:45 PM 

KINGSPORT — A Hall of Fame coaching career is coming to an end at Dobyns-Bennett.

Longtime wrestling coach Buzzy Mann announced this week he is stepping away from the mat after 31 years in coaching.

Mann’s career began as an assistant for one year at D-B before moving to Carson-Newman to complete a master’s degree and assist with the Eagles’ program.

From there, Mann coached football and softball at Roane County High School for a year before getting back into wrestling at Greeneville, where he was an assistant coach for three years and head coach for three years.

Mann returned to D-B in 1996, where he’s been head coach for the past 21 years.

FROM OUR PARTNERS:

'GLOW' cast talks real-life wrestling personas

“It’s just time to turn the page, spend more time with my family and less time on the road,” said Mann, who will stay on as a teacher. “It’s been a great experience but it is with great anticipation that I begin a new chapter in my life.”

When Mann took over, the Tribe grapplers were practicing in a small corner of the school. Now the program has its own wrestling wing.

“My first day of practice, I was greeted by 12 male and five female wrestlers,” added Mann. “Because of the many dedicated coaches, wrestlers, parents, volunteers, and community support, we have been able to move Dobyns-Bennett wrestling to a new level.”

Along the way, Mann’s teams went 439-170-2 overall and 378-169-2 at D-B, including numerous conference, district and regional dual championships and produced numerous individual region champions and all-state wrestlers. The Indians made six state dual appearances under Mann.

In 2010, Mann was inducted into the Tennessee Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame and in 2012 was inducted into the Carson-Newman University Athletic Hall of Fame.

“Buzzy Mann has served Dobyns-Bennett High School for 22 years at a high level,” said Dobyns-Bennett Athletic Director Larry Shively. “He has impacted hundreds of young men through his coaching career, and we are incredibly grateful for his leadership. Coach Mann grew our wrestling program tremendously during his tenure. We wish him the very best on the next chapter of his life.”

Additionally, Mann saw the expansion of the program into John Sevier and Robinson middle schools and was instrumental in launching an AAU program as well.

Under his watch, the Indian Classic Tournament has blossomed into a two-day event that regularly hosts 32-33 teams. The wrestling program has also partnered with the Kingsport Convention & Visitor’s Bureau for two decades to bring a pair of national events to Kingsport.

The AAU Spring Youth Nationals in March and the AAU Elementary National Duals in April are held annually at the Buck Van Huss Dome. Mann will continue to oversee each of those events for the next year.

“I am so proud to be a part of a team of servants who work diligently so 600-700 wrestlers from elementary and middle schools have the opportunity to compete with some of the best of the best,” Mann said. “Also these two tournaments and the Indian Classic generate very large revenue for our schools and our city. We truly are one Tribe and one Kingsport.”

Shively said a successor will be named very soon.

“I am hopeful the new coach will come in and take what we’ve done to an even higher level,” said Mann. “I wish the new coach nothing but the best.”

Red Bank hires new wrestling coach

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2017/jul/14/wehunt-replaces-winesburgh-red-bank-wrestling/438276/

July 14th, 2017by Ward Gossettin Sports - PrepsRead Time: 1 min.

File (Feb. 10, 2017) – Red Bank's Zachary Gee, left, gains control over Whitwell's John King to post a 14-5 victory in the 132-pound weight class in the opening rounds of the Region A/AA wrestling tournament at Signal Mountain High School.

Photo by Tim Barber /Times Free Press.

Red Bank High School has hired Nathan Wehunt to coach its wrestling program.

Wehunt will continue as a faculty member at Notre Dame as he undertakes his first job as a head coach, pending Hamilton County Department of Education approval.

"I remember him. He was always really professional," said Red Bank assistant principal Wendell Weathers, who was a wrestling coach before entering administration. "Notre Dame wrestling always represented itself well, and he was part of the reason for that."

ADVERTISING

Wehunt replaces Ulric Winesburgh, who has taken a full-time teaching and coaching position at Alcovy High in Covington, Ga.

"Ulric did a good job for us, but he needed a full-time job and we didn't have anything," Weathers said. "It was economics for him and teaching-position issues for us. We'd love to have been able to keep him, and I want people to know he left with our highest regard."

Red Bank represents an opportunity Wehunt has long desired.

"I have wanted to be a head coach for years," he said. "The opportunity to coach a good high school team in Chattanooga is great, and I'm excited about the opportunity to mentor young men."

Wehunt said he sees Red Bank as a school with a great tradition and also as a school on the rise.

"This is a great opportunity," he declared. "(Red Bank athletic director) Mandi Munn has a son on the team, and her husband is coaching at the middle school. The facilities are top-notch and there is tremendous potential."

A University of Tennessee at Chattanooga graduate, Wehunt played football and wrestled at Notre Dame. Since he departed UTC, he has worked at James Madison as an assistant strength coach (specifically with the wrestling, swimming, soccer and basketball teams) and spent 13 months in Bahrain, setting up conditioning and training programs for both the army and police departments while working for that country's interior ministry.

He has a master's degree in secondary education.

"Nathan is like a gift that walked up to our door," Weathers said.

Contact Ward Gossett at wgossett@timesfreepress.com or 423-886-4765. Follow him at Twitter.com/WardGossett

Coach Mark Gonyea has moved into administration and takes on a new role as Rutherford Co. Athletics Safety oversight (wrestling and soccer)...

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/07/11/rutherford-county-schools-create-safety-coach-positions/466746001/

Pass.

Wyant, former head football coach of the Stars, will oversee football, swimming and track.

"This is just another step in protecting the athletes in the county," said Wyant. "Most coaches are doing the right thing already. Hopefully people wont see us as 'gotcha' people trying to catch you doing something wrong."

Gonyea, former Stewarts Creek wrestling coach, will oversee wrestling and soccer. Stoker will oversee basketball, cross country and volleyball. Pass will oversee softball and baseball and help with football. Atkin will will oversee cheerleading.

As of now there are no coaches overseeing golf, bowling or tennis.

All five will continue their roles at their respective schools and the safety coach position will be supplemented, such as athletic coaches are.

Safety coaches, who have learned and will continue to learn and train in safety, will primarily be responsible for giving guidance and answering questions and help educate safety, particularly with younger and/or more inexperienced coaches.

They will also help regulate rules that are already in place to ensure safety. No new rules have been implemented.

Former Stewarts Creek wrestling coach and current Smyrna Primary assistant principal Mark Gonyea ...more

File

"We have a lot of good coaches in Rutherford County — we're lucky," Tackett said. "We encourage safety coaches to not only give their input, but also learn from some of the more experienced coaches, so that they can pass that along to others.

"There are some young, inexperienced coaches, especially at the middle school level. There's a huge turnover. Sports safety has changed a lot over the years."

Part of the concept was taken from USA Football, which developed the same plan for football safety coaches.

"We thought, 'Why don't we expand this to all sports,'" Tackett said.

The primary change that accompanies the safety coaches is a new county policy where athletes must submit paperwork in the Dragonfly Max app, including medical records, physical forms, etc.

"It's a HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) secure site," Wyant said. "Hopefully it will help us head (injuries) off better."

Added Tackett, "Trainers and coaches will have info online of all the players. It's a far better way to track injuries."

The safety coaches will continue studying things such as equipment, field conditions, heat and conditioning. Studying and trying to prevent injuries such as concussions will be a priority.

With the concept being in its infancy stage, there will be some learning curve.

"We can't be perfect," said Tackett. "We want the opportunity to make it the best we can. It's a work in progress. After the first month, first three months, etc., we will look back and evaluate.

"We want to be flexible enough to change as we go. We'll ask athletic directors and coaches to help in the process."

Reach Cecil Joyce at cjoyce@dnj.com or 615-278-5168 and on Twitter @Cecil_Joyce.

-----------------------

Trent Knight to Fargo...

http://www.greenevillesun.com/sports/big-summer-has-greeneville-s-trent-knight-wrestling-for-national/article_60025ff7-4dea-5706-927a-c107f4dbfd51.html

Big Summer Has Greeneville's Trent Knight Wrestling For National Championship

By Tate Russell Sun Sports Writer Jul 13, 2017 0

In this file photo from February, Greeneville’s Trent Knight is pictured after winning the Class A/AA 170 lb. title at the TSSAA Individual Wrestling State Championships in Franklin. In the upcoming week, Knight will wrestle at the Marine Corps Cadet and Junior National Tournament in Fargo, N.D.

Sun Photo By Tate Russell

This past February, Greeneville High School student-athlete Trent Knight won the 170 lb. state championship at the TSSAA Class A/AA individual wresting tournament in Franklin.

Most high school sophomores would have been content with that, calling it a good year.

For Knight, though, it was just the beginning of his season.

Once the high school season was over, he went on to win two more state championships, then a Southeast Regional title. And now, this weekend, he is traveling to Fargo, North Dakota, for the U.S. Marine Corps Cadet and Junior Nationals – one of the most prestigious high school tournaments in the nation.

“I’m really excited and I’m nervous at the same time,” Knight said. “I’m not really sure what to expect at this point. It will be a lot different from wrestling in Tennessee.

“For sure, this is the biggest tournament I’ve wrestled in. My goal is to go up there and do my best against these wrestlers from states that usually have really good wrestling. I just want to represent Tennessee the best I can.”

Knight qualified for the national tournament in both Greco-Roman and Freestyle categories by placing first and third, respectively, at the Southeast Regionals in Atlanta at the end of May.

This summer is the first time Knight has wrestled in Greco-Roman tournaments and at the regional he marched through his bracket at 182 lbs. with a pin and two technical falls to claim the tournament title. He knocked off top tier wrestlers from North Carolina, Georgia and Illinois to win. In the championship match he defeated Ernest Moore of Illinois 12-2.

“That felt great to come away with a win. I went into it a little nervous because this is my first year wrestling Greco-Roman style, but I started getting a little bit more confident in myself and got on a roll to win it,” Knight said. “It felt great to be able to have this success in my first year trying (Greco-Roman). I guess it made me feel like more of an athlete than I thought I was before.”

Greco-Roman differs from freestyle or folkstyle – the style used in high school and collegiate wrestling – in that it involves only upper body moves with throwing the preferred way to best an opponent compared to diving or shooting. That style plays to Knight’s strengths as a grappler and Greeneville High coach Randy Shelton thinks it fits him perfectly.

“Usually kids will choose one style or the other and that will become their favorite,” Shelton said. “Greco is all upper body. You can’t touch a kid below the waist. Freestyle is more similar to what you see at the high school level but more free scoring.”

“At the high school level he has some good shots, but has some great throws and that translates straight into Greco-Roman wrestling. He is still very good at freestyle, he qualified for nationals in that as well, but in high school he won a lot of matches with a little head throw and that is perfect for Greco-Roman.”

Knight placed third at the regional in the freestyle tournament and won state championships in both freestyle and Greco-Roman in early May. Shelton was quick to give a lot of credit to Greeneville High assistant wrestling coach Justin Myers for getting Knight ready for these big tournaments after his high school season culminated with the state championship.

“It’s awesome to see Trent keep working for bigger things,” Shelton said. “Our assistant coach Justin Myers has been working with him a ton. He is a great coach and I love seeing him run with this as a coach and help him toward these big goals.”

More from this section

+7

PFW's 2017 Preview: Los Angeles Chargers

+9

Fantasy Football 2017: Kansas City Chiefs depth chart

MU football player pleads not guilty to possession charges

“Then Bryson Hux, our other state champion, has been his training partner and is in there all the time getting him ready. It really has been a team effort to get him ready for these tournaments.”

Success this upcoming week at nationals could be big for Knight. Every college coach in the nation will be on hand, as will the eyes of the United States Olympic Team. Success in Fargo could not only mean scholarships, but also invitations to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

Knight will be wrestling in the cadet division, which is for high school freshman and sophomores. The junior division, for high school juniors and seniors, will also be competing for championships. The cadet freestyle tournament will begin today and the cadet Greco-Roman tournament will begin on Wednesday, July 19.

“Every college coach will be there. There will be international kids. It’s the largest, most prestigious wrestling tournament in the country,” Shelton said. “If he wins a few matches, colleges will be looking at him. If he wins a whole bunch of matches, that is when the Oklahoma States and Iowa States and some of those top tier programs will notice him.”

Shelton is also hopeful that Knight’s success on these big stages in the summer will inspire his high school teammates to try and take on this challenging summer schedule.

“This lifts the entire team up. Coming from a state that is not Iowa or Oklahoma or some of these other big wrestling states, we have kids that don’t know this kind of stuff is even possible,” Shelton said. “A little bit of it is us coaches pushing these kids and telling them that they can go do these things. They won’t all be Southeast Regional champions, but when you go and wrestle the best kids in the nation it makes you better. Going to Kansas and Wisconsin and Iowa and competing makes you a better high school wrestler in Tennessee.”

TagsTrent Knight Sport Heavy AthleticsTournament Wrestling ChampionshipRandy Shelton Justin Myers Coach

Edited by Sommers

Jeff Artis Climber Price still halt worth one young man from the Hill...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154483083366116&id=705216115

You gotta love it...

http://www.dailypostathenian.com/sports/article_ed35f17a-6c8e-11e7-9a23-10604b9f0ff8.html

Stoika is back for Another Season

Buy Now

David Stoika (left) is returning to the sidelines to coach the McMinn County wrestling program after initially retiring after the most recent season.

DPA File Photo by Scott Power

Stoika

With a successor still not in place, David Stoika just couldn't risk seeing the wrestling program that he spent 33 years building and guiding at McMinn County High School take a dive into oblivion.

And so the coach, who had decided to retire after the end of last season, will be back on the sidelines for the wrestling Cherokees one more year, McMinn Athletic Director Jimmy Haynie announced on Tuesday.

"When (Haynie) called me, he said there wasn't anybody they could get to do it," said Stoika in an interview with The Daily Post-Athenian. "All the other candidates had turned them down, so it came down to me with three choices: Either nobody does it, which means no team; or somebody does it who doesn't know what they're doing; or I do it.

"And I didn't want to leave the program in limbo, so I took it. I'm not doing it for me, I'm doing it for the kids, so that they're not left hanging."

Haynie said McMinn had three quality candidates under consideration during the search for Stoika's replacement this summer, but there was no open teaching position available, leading to the hiring process on all of those candidates stalling.

"We had three possibilities, but they all taught (physical education), and maybe one teaching social studies," Haynie said. "We just didn't have any positions open."

McMinn will continue working toward finding Stoika's successor throughout the coming school year, Haynie said. In the meantime, he said he was "very excited" that Stoika agreed to return for one more season.

"It really is his program," Haynie said. "We're becoming more competitive in wrestling, and that's because of him."

Stoika, 62, will remain retired from teaching history at McMinn High. The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA) rules allow retired teachers to coach, just as if they were still teaching.

Stoika admitted that it felt "awkward" deciding to come back to coach.

"(DPA Sports Writer) Scott (Power) writes that big article in the paper about my retirement, and there was that big ceremony at the region tournament, and now I'm back again?" Stoika said. "It's embarrassing, but I'm not concerned about that. My main concern is that the kids have a coach."

On the other hand, Stoika is returning to a squad that should be much improved throughout most weight classes this coming season. McMinn graduated two seniors last year who had made the state tournament in their careers, Tyler Varnadore and Garrett Hall, but a solid returning core and a group of promising incoming freshmen will mean more depth of talent this year.

"We've got as much experience coming back as we've ever had, so we're going to be much improved, and the next year even more so," Stoika said. "But even this year we'll be a lot better than we were last year."

However, in a region as ultra-powerful as the one McMinn competes in - which includes state powers Bradley Central, Cleveland and Soddy-Daisy, plus other solid programs at Walker Valley, Ooltewah, East Hamilton and Rhea County - it won't be easy to break through.

"We'll probably still be near the bottom half of our region, if I had to guess, but we'll be a whole lot more competitive than we were last year," Stoika said. "We won't have many weak weight classes this year."

The start of middle school wrestling in McMinn County last year should also help McMinn's program become more competitive with the rest of the region over the next few years.

More from this section

Cowboys announce Dak Prescott documentary

Greg Gabriel: GMs, head coaches get set for NFL training camps to begin

Louisiana Tech picked to win Conference USA West

Haynie was concerned that some quality wrestlers were going to head to Walker Valley and Cleveland with McMinn's coaching situation still in limbo.

"I had a talk with (McMinn County Director of Schools) Mr. (Mickey) Blevins about it, and it was good to bring back David to keep these kids in the fold," Haynie said.

Assistant Bill Wyrick, who has been at Stoika's side the last few years, will also return to the coaches' bench.

With Stoika's return, all open head coaching spots at McMinn have now been filled for the coming school year.

"We have everybody in place," Haynie said. "That's good because I was worried we wouldn't before the school year started."

Edited by Sommers

http://gomocs.com/news/2017/7/19/wrestling-evans-takes-fourth-at-junior-nationals.aspx

Evans Takes Fourth at Junior Nationals

Incoming freshman placed at on the top summer events in the nation.

Jul. 19, 2017 Wrestling

Incoming University of Tennessee at Chattanooga freshman Sammy Evans took fourth place at the 2017 US Marine Corps Junior Nationals in Fargo, N.D., this week.  Evans is a four-time high school All-American from Alcoa (Tenn.) High School.

"We are excited for Sammy and the success he has had over the summer," stated head coach Heath EslingerEvans is a four-time Tennessee high school state champion and ranked No. 18 in the Intermat Top-20 for 285 pounds.  He is projected to be a heavyweight at the collegiate level. 

Edited by Sommers
Update

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2017/7/20/351715/Bosken-Named-Head-Coach-Of-Higher.aspx

Bosken Named Head Coach Of Higher Calling Wrestling Club

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Josh Bosken

The Higher Calling Youth Wrestling Club of Cleveland announced this week that Josh Bosken has been named as the club’s new head coach.

Bosken previously served as head coach of the Cleveland High School Blue Raiders wrestling team and has been involved with the high school and middle school wrestling programs at Cleveland since 2007.

“I’m thankful for the time I spent at Cleveland High and it was a great experience for me, but this is right move for my family,” Bosken said. “This is a tremendous opportunity because I have gone through the process from the bottom to the top and understand the importance of a stable and successful youth program. I look forward to the process of seeking out Cleveland High Schools next batch of State Champions.”

Higher Calling is a wrestling program that gives young wrestlers of all skill levels, grades K through 8, a chance to learn the essentials of practice and competition. The goal of the program is to train and maintain the highest-quality athletes to help continue the finest wrestling program in Tennessee.

Bosken and his wife, Sadi, recently celebrated the birth of twins Kennedy and Kate. The family already had two previous children, Zac and Zane.

Chad Laxton, Higher Calling’s President, said it was a strategic move for the club to be trusted to Bosken.

“Josh is a proven winner who has helped coach 54 state medalists and nine state champions, plus contributing to six state championship teams,” said Laxton. “He has

played a role in all three phases of the program - middle school, high school and Higher Calling. He understands how important each phase is and we are thankful for what he will mean to Higher Calling.”

Higher Calling received national attention in April when the Allan Jones Foundation auctioned off a King Ranch F-150 4X4 pickup autographed twice by President George W. Bush. The majority of the proceeds from the auction went to Higher Calling.

Jones said Bosken is largely responsible for the success of the Cleveland High program and noted that Bosken had served as Higher Calling coach from 2009 to 2016.

“When he was coach of the kids club, Josh guided his wrestlers win state titles three times – and historically more than doubled all the other state scores!” Jones said.

Jones said winning is a three-pronged approach.

“It includes the high school head coach, the middle school head coach, and the kids club coach,” said Jones. “The kids club coach is the most important, because he is the one who gets the kids interested and teaches them about the joy of winning.”

Bosken offered a special thanks to the Foundation and to the Jones companies like Check Into Cash that have supported the club.

“Check Into Cash has done more for these kids than we ever thought possible,” Bosken said. “Allan Jones has said many times that Higher Calling is important because the wrestlers develop a love for the sport and build a strong work ethic that will carry them through life. He also appreciates that we strive to teach young athletes moral character and good sportsmanship. Winning starts at this level.”

Toby Pendergrass, director of the foundation, agreed with Bosken.

“If there is a state championship won in wrestling, the Allan Jones Foundation wants it to be one of our three schools – and it all starts with the Kids Club,” said Pendergrass.

Upon learning that he had been named head coach, Bosken said, “I am well aware of the expectations  Higher Calling has, and I am ready to work restlessly to assure that they are met. The best is yet to come – we are breeding future champions!”

Dobbin Bennett's high school and I hear possibly Whitwell getting new coaches...

Dobyns-Bennett High School Names Wrestling Head Coach

KINGSPORT, Tenn. -

Kingsport City Schools is pleased to announce the appointment of Wesley Idlette as the head coach of the wrestling program at Dobyns-Bennett High School, effective immediately.

“We are excited about Wesley serving as our new D-B Wrestling Head Coach. Coach Idlette provides the right mixture of experience, enthusiasm, and vision to lead our student athletes in Kingsport,” said KCS Director of Athletics and Activities Larry Shively.  “He presented a wonderful vision to grow our wrestling program from the middle school level up to Dobyns-Bennett. Wes is a tireless worker who loves the sport of wrestling, but more importantly, coaches for the right reasons. He will continue to develop our wrestling program that grew tremendously under Coach Mann. We look forward to this next chapter.”

Idlette is a native of Chattanooga where he attended Baylor High School and was a star athlete. In 2007- 2008, he was ranked number one in the 160 pound category in wrestling for Division II, 2008 state runner-up at 160 pounds and helped lead his wrestling team to four State Championships – three duals and one traditional. In track, Idlette was the 2007 All State triple jumper, 2007 state runner-up in the decathlon, 2008 state runner-up in the 110 meter hurdles and 2008 champion in the 300 meter hurdles.

While attending Maryville College, Idlette was an All-Conference wide receiver in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011, a Division III Pre-Season All-American wide receiver in 2010 and 2011 and holds the Maryville College All-Time career lead in receptions, touchdowns and yardage. In addition, he was also an Academic All-American in 2011 and 2012.

"I am humbled and grateful for this leadership opportunity,” said Coach Idlette. “I look forward to developing character in our athletes through the sport of wrestling and am proud to be a part of the rich tradition of strong athletic programs at Dobyns-Bennett."

Idlette has been teaching Physical Education at Andrew Johnson Elementary School since 2012 where he developed and implemented comprehensive physical education curriculum for students such as FLYING Youth Development Program (created 2015) and sponsoring Girls on the Run since 2012. In addition, Idlette coaches football at Sevier Middle School (since 2012), coaches wrestling at Sevier (since 2013) and was assistant head coach for the Indian Springs Warrior Wrestling AAU program for two years. Most recently, Idlette has become a track coach at Dobyns-Bennett High School.

Idlette earned a Bachelor of Arts degree, with a major in Health and Physical Education, from Maryville College. He was a member of the Kappa Delta Pi Honor Society and listed as Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges.

He is a member and Sunday school teacher at First Broad Street United Methodist Church. He and his wife Chrissy and their daughters, reside in Kingsport.

Kingsport City Schools Release

KINGSPORT, Tenn. -

Kingsport City Schools is pleased to announce the appointment of Wesley Idlette as the head coach of the wrestling program at Dobyns-Bennett High School, effective immediately.

“We are excited about Wesley serving as our new D-B Wrestling Head Coach. Coach Idlette provides the right mixture of experience, enthusiasm, and vision to lead our student athletes in Kingsport,” said KCS Director of Athletics and Activities Larry Shively.  “He presented a wonderful vision to grow our wrestling program from the middle school level up to Dobyns-Bennett. Wes is a tireless worker who loves the sport of wrestling, but more importantly, coaches for the right reasons. He will continue to develop our wrestling program that grew tremendously under Coach Mann. We look forward to this next chapter.”

Idlette is a native of Chattanooga where he attended Baylor High School and was a star athlete. In 2007- 2008, he was ranked number one in the 160 pound category in wrestling for Division II, 2008 state runner-up at 160 pounds and helped lead his wrestling team to four State Championships – three duals and one traditional. In track, Idlette was the 2007 All State triple jumper, 2007 state runner-up in the decathlon, 2008 state runner-up in the 110 meter hurdles and 2008 champion in the 300 meter hurdles.

While attending Maryville College, Idlette was an All-Conference wide receiver in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011, a Division III Pre-Season All-American wide receiver in 2010 and 2011 and holds the Maryville College All-Time career lead in receptions, touchdowns and yardage. In addition, he was also an Academic All-American in 2011 and 2012.

"I am humbled and grateful for this leadership opportunity,” said Coach Idlette. “I look forward to developing character in our athletes through the sport of wrestling and am proud to be a part of the rich tradition of strong athletic programs at Dobyns-Bennett."

Idlette has been teaching Physical Education at Andrew Johnson Elementary School since 2012 where he developed and implemented comprehensive physical education curriculum for students such as FLYING Youth Development Program (created 2015) and sponsoring Girls on the Run since 2012. In addition, Idlette coaches football at Sevier Middle School (since 2012), coaches wrestling at Sevier (since 2013) and was assistant head coach for the Indian Springs Warrior Wrestling AAU program for two years. Most recently, Idlette has become a track coach at Dobyns-Bennett High School.

Idlette earned a Bachelor of Arts degree, with a major in Health and Physical Education, from Maryville College. He was a member of the Kappa Delta Pi Honor Society and listed as Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges.

He is a member and Sunday school teacher at First Broad Street United Methodist Church. He and his wife Chrissy and their daughters, reside in Kingsport.

Kingsport City Schools Release

http://www.wcyb.com/sports/area-high-schools/dobyns-bennett-high-school-names-wrestling-head-coach/590499710

Area High Schools Dobyns-Bennett High School Names Wrestling Head Coach Posted: Jul 20, 2017 10:34 AM EDT Updated: Jul 20, 2017 10:34 AM EDT KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Kingsport City Schools is pleased to announce the appointment of Wesley Idlette as the head coach of the wrestling program at Dobyns-Bennett High School, effective immediately. “We are excited about Wesley serving as our new D-B Wrestling Head Coach. Coach Idlette provides the right mixture of experience, enthusiasm, and vision to lead our student athletes in Kingsport,” said KCS Director of Athletics and Activities Larry Shively.  “He presented a wonderful vision to grow our wrestling program from the middle school level up to Dobyns-Bennett. Wes is a tireless worker who loves the sport of wrestling, but more importantly, coaches for the right reasons. He will continue to develop our wrestling program that grew tremendously under Coach Mann. We look forward to this next chapter.” Idlette is a native of Chattanooga where he attended Baylor High School and was a star athlete. In 2007- 2008, he was ranked number one in the 160 pound category in wrestling for Division II, 2008 state runner-up at 160 pounds and helped lead his wrestling team to four State Championships – three duals and one traditional. In track, Idlette was the 2007 All State triple jumper, 2007 state runner-up in the decathlon, 2008 state runner-up in the 110 meter hurdles and 2008 champion in the 300 meter hurdles. While attending Maryville College, Idlette was an All-Conference wide receiver in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011, a Division III Pre-Season All-American wide receiver in 2010 and 2011 and holds the Maryville College All-Time career lead in receptions, touchdowns and yardage. In addition, he was also an Academic All-American in 2011 and 2012. "I am humbled and grateful for this leadership opportunity,” said Coach Idlette. “I look forward to developing character in our athletes through the sport of wrestling and am proud to be a part of the rich tradition of strong athletic programs at Dobyns-Bennett." Idlette has been teaching Physical Education at Andrew Johnson Elementary School since 2012 where he developed and implemented comprehensive physical education curriculum for students such as FLYING Youth Development Program (created 2015) and sponsoring Girls on the Run since 2012. In addition, Idlette coaches football at Sevier Middle School (since 2012), coaches wrestling at Sevier (since 2013) and was assistant head coach for the Indian Springs Warrior Wrestling AAU program for two years. Most recently, Idlette has become a track coach at Dobyns-Bennett High School. Idlette earned a Bachelor of Arts degree, with a major in Health and Physical Education, from Maryville College. He was a member of the Kappa Delta Pi Honor Society and listed as Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges. He is a member and Sunday school teacher at First Broad Street United Methodist Church. He and his wife Chrissy and their daughters, reside in Kingsport. Kingsport City Schools Release Most Popular New Hawkins County citizens sign petition opposing wheel tax New Old sign, new message in downtown Johnson City New Fun Fest display honors Tennessee veterans Updated Honaker High School standout athlete killed in work accident Warmer weather has local rescue mission in need of bottled water More Stories Facebook Terms of Service Email Newsletter Sign-Up © Copyright ©2016 WCYB / WEMT Bristol, VA USA - All Rights Reserved. × News 5 WCYB.com Mobile Bonten Media Group Holdings Inc. FREE - In Google Play VIEW Johnson City 86° Area High Schools Dobyns-Bennett High School Names Wrestling Head Coach Posted: Jul 20, 2017 10:34 AM EDT Updated: Jul 20, 2017 10:34 AM EDT KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Kingsport City Schools is pleased to announce the appointment of Wesley Idlette as the head coach of the wrestling program at Dobyns-Bennett High School, effective immediately. “We are excited about Wesley serving as our new D-B Wrestling Head Coach. Coach Idlette provides the right mixture of experience, enthusiasm, and vision to lead our student athletes in Kingsport,” said KCS Director of Athletics and Activities Larry Shively.  “He presented a wonderful vision to grow our wrestling program from the middle school level up to Dobyns-Bennett. Wes is a tireless worker who loves the sport of wrestling, but more importantly, coaches for the right reasons. He will continue to develop our wrestling program that grew tremendously under Coach Mann. We look forward to this next chapter.” Idlette is a native of Chattanooga where he attended Baylor High School and was a star athlete. In 2007- 2008, he was ranked number one in the 160 pound category in wrestling for Division II, 2008 state runner-up at 160 pounds and helped lead his wrestling team to four State Championships – three duals and one traditional. In track, Idlette was the 2007 All State triple jumper, 2007 state runner-up in the decathlon, 2008 state runner-up in the 110 meter hurdles and 2008 champion in the 300 meter hurdles. While attending Maryville College, Idlette was an All-Conference wide receiver in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011, a Division III Pre-Season All-American wide receiver in 2010 and 2011 and holds the Maryville College All-Time career lead in receptions, touchdowns and yardage. In addition, he was also an Academic All-American in 2011 and 2012. "I am humbled and grateful for this leadership opportunity,” said Coach Idlette. “I look forward to developing character in our athletes through the sport of wrestling and am proud to be a part of the rich tradition of strong athletic programs at Dobyns-Bennett." Idlette has been teaching Physical Education at Andrew Johnson Elementary School since 2012 where he developed and implemented comprehensive physical education curriculum for students such as FLYING Youth Development Program (created 2015) and sponsoring Girls on the Run since 2012. In addition, Idlette coaches football at Sevier Middle School (since 2012), coaches wrestling at Sevier (since 2013) and was assistant head coach for the Indian Springs Warrior Wrestling AAU program for two years. Most recently, Idlette has become a track coach at Dobyns-Bennett High School. Idlette earned a Bachelor of Arts degree, with a major in Health and Physical Education, from Maryville College. He was a member of the Kappa Delta Pi Honor Society and listed as Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges. He is a member and Sunday school teacher at First Broad Street United Methodist Church. He and his wife Chrissy and their daughters, reside in Kingsport. Kingsport City Schools Release Most Popular New Hawkins County citizens sign petition opposing wheel tax New Old sign, new message in downtown Johnson City New Fun Fest display honors Tennessee veterans Updated Honaker High School standout athlete killed in work accident Warmer weather has local rescue mission in need of bottled water More Stories Facebook Terms of Service Email Newsletter Sign-Up © Copyright ©2016 WCYB / WEMT Bristol, VA USA - All Rights Reserved. ShareThis Copy and Paste

Doug Newman now officially the Head Varsity Wrestling Coach at Franklin Road Academy.  He has shared that he is very humbled and honored to have been offer this prestigious position at such an outstanding private school.  I have been impressed by the school, faculty, athletes, administration, and parents for decades.  It is a privilege to be part of the PANTHER family!

This appears to be his 8th (wresting) school now over his long career... Congrats coach!!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1678564392155973&id=100000072852543

• 3 weeks later...

Some of you may remember that rare spinal wrestling injury in 2013...

Brentwood 

://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://brentwoodhomepage.com/independence-wrestler-paralyzed-at-tournament-starts-at-mtsu/&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoUMTgyNTUwODQwMDY4NDg1NTUyODcyGjkwYjIzMDEzODAzMGFiNzQ6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNEWx764d007szLtXc81_c19Ss7oFA

Shelbeville

http://www.tg.com/story/2436247.html

Paralyzed (Indy) wrestler prepares for college

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Pic

Incoming MTSU freshman Hunter Garstin behind the wheel of his vehicle with sister Hailey Garstin.

Submitted photo

Hunter Garstin was once a wrestler at Independence High School in Franklin, but now he is grappling with his toughest opponent to date.

Garstin is preparing to start classes Aug. 28 as a freshman psychology major at Middle Tennessee State University as he continues physical therapy due to an accident he sustained as a high school freshman.

At a 2013 tournament in Huntsville, Garstin sustained a spinal cord injury only about 20 seconds into a wrestling match, resulting in paralysis from the neck down. He expects to use a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

"I think if I keep going and hitting it hard that maybe one day I'll be walking on a walker or across the room or something, which I would be perfectly OK with," said Garstin.

The road to high school commencement was interrupted by his injury. Garstin underwent surgery to fuse two vertebrae in his neck and spent a week in the hospital intensive care unit, followed by four months of inpatient and outpatient therapy. He worked at his rehabilitation for eight hours a day with intermittent breaks.

Garstin missed several weeks of school in his sophomore year. He describes his junior year as "two weeks on, two weeks off." He even went to Switzerland three times for stem-cell therapy. In his senior year, he started driving, which was key to his physical and psychological freedom.

Finally, in May of this year, Hunter Garstin walked across the stage at Independence High and received his diploma. His next challenge will be to obtain his college degree from MTSU.

"It was the smartest choice at the time, and I really liked the campus after going to orientation and seeing everything MTSU had to offer," said Garstin.

A cousin, a friend and a fourth roommate to be determined will share an off-campus apartment with Garstin as he becomes adjusted to university life. But one thing he won't be doing is watching wrestling on television.

"Not only is it not really interesting to watch anymore, but it just kind of brings up memories, both good and bad," he said.

One good memory is the night Garstin was presented with the Kaia Jergenson Courage Award at the Tennessean Sports Awards June 6 at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in Nashville.

The award is named for a former Lipscomb University basketball player who nearly lost her life to meningitis.

Garstin can use most of his upper body with some limited mobility in his fingers, and he has some feeling in his legs. As he continues with physical therapy, he hopes to improve further and perhaps walk at his college commencement.

"There really is no true prognosis," he said. "It's what you make of it and what you put into it."

--------------------------

Coach Smith Fighting as usual for his Bear Nation on and off the mat...

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/workhousedecision-isexpectedby-countyon-monday,64266

In response to Bradley county commission funding decisions...

Ben Smith, wrestling coach at Bradley Central High School, told commissioners that other middle schools have wrestling buildings, and as popular as the sport is in Bradley County, Lake Forest should have one, too.

Building No. 12 is the one that is being pinpointed as a possible wrestling facility. Smith said that having a permanent space for the wrestling team will help it from having to transport, by foot, a large and heavy wrestling mat. He added that the classrooms there could be renovated into locker room facilities.

The county would be responsible for heating, air and all electrical work at the site.

“Wrestling is king in Bradley County,” said Commissioner Bill Winters, a former member of the school board. He said he feels the Bradley County Board of Education will agree on the need for the wrestling facility.

“I feel confident the school board will work with us on this project,” said Commissioner Jeff Yarber, who presented the issue to the committee.

Smith said that the community has wanted a wrestling building, and many have said that they will help with funding for the project.

The committee agreed on the proposal, which will need to go before the Bradley County Commission for final approval.

-----------

More Big Bear News

#DaBEARS of Bradley Wrestling would like to welcome 3x State Medalist, 2x STATE CHAMPION "Sir" Patrick Benson to the wrestling staff and BCHS faculty as a SpEd TA!!! Looking forward to the impact that Coach Benson will have on the lives of our young men off and on the mats this season.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1435559479859787&id=100002172451009

Edited by Sommers
Update

• 2 weeks later...

Picture this practice room...

Cleveland High School wrestling coach Joey Knox hires fellow former Mocs...

Could this become the next Parkview/Collins Hill/Archer/Buford legacy of the south... Especially with this top SE talent and the cross town rival (DaBears) to push them?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2017/aug/30/knox-hires-fellow-former-mocs-brown-soclevela/446233/

August 30th, 2017by Ward Gossettin Sports - PrepsRead Time: 2 mins.

First-year Cleveland High School wrestling coach Joey Knox has completed his staff, and he went back to his college roots to do so.

The former Southern Conference champion and two-time NCAA tournament qualifier for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga arranged for two other UTC SoCon champs to help with the Blue Raiders: Niko Brown and Nick Soto.

"I reached out to Niko because I knew he was interested in coaching. His passion is helping people, and he'd been thinking about coaching," Knox said.

In turn, Brown contacted Soto.

Photo by Contributed Photo /Times Free Press.

UTC assistant coach Niko Brown watches the match against Purdue Friday at Maclellan Gym.

Photo by Angela Lewis Foster /Times Free Press.

UTC wrestler Nick Soto applauds for a teammate as UTC defeats VMI by a team score of 35-3 on Sunday, Jan. 25, 2015, at the Maclellan Gym on the UTC campus in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Photo by John Rawlston /Times Free Press.

"Nick had been around, giving lessons and helping kids. He just loves the sport of wrestling," Knox said. "He'd been living in Florida trying to decide what he wanted to do with his life, and Niko told him how much Cleveland had helped him."

Brown and Soto are working as teacher assistants while gaining their teacher certifications.

In addition to his credentials as a wrestler — a SoCon championship and a pair of NCAA tournament qualifications plus a top-10 NCAA ranking — Brown served as an assistant to Mocs coach Heath Eslinger from 2014 through April of this year.

"I hadn't decided what I wanted to do when Joey called. Going to Cleveland was a big change and unexpected," said Brown, who had thought of leaving the sport to enter private business. "I had two knee surgeries and couldn't wrestle, and the longer I was out of wrestling the more miserable I was."

Soto, a three-time high school All-American at Springstead in Florida, was a four-time SoCon champion and four-time NCAA qualifier. He has spent his time since graduating from UTC in 2015 working in boat sales in Vonore and then in Clearwater, Fla.

"I always loved being in Chattanooga and felt there was where I needed to be," he said. "Cleveland has a history as a great wrestling program. The opportunity opened up, and here I am."

The two new additions join Sean Russell (nationally ranked HS AA and rare Super 32 phenom from the south) and several volunteers, but they provide a unique opportunity for Cleveland wrestlers.

"You're going to be hard-pressed to go to any high school program and find the caliber of coaches with the diverse weight classes," said Knox, who assumed the head coaching reins when Josh Bosken (now heading the feeder program once again) resigned. "Nick will be working with the lightweight guys, I'll be with the middleweights and Niko will work with the heavier weights. There is so much specific attention from talented wrestlers who can relate to the kids."

Brown also noted the diversity of the group.

"You've got three D-I athletes on one coaching staff. We all wrestled at the same place, we all had success at the college level and we have different styles and techniques," he said. "We learned differently and teach differently, but I think we can collaborate on styles."

Soto said he already had learned much from Knox, Russell and Brown.

"I've learned a little bit of everything," he said. "I've picked up a few techniques and I'm learning about the direction of the program and building relationships with kids. It's great to see it and be a part of it."

Contact Ward Gossett at wgossett@timesfreepress.com or 423-886-4765. Follow him on Twitter @ wardgossett.

We probably all saw this coming...

Baylor's Mason Reiniche will compete for Team USA in world wrestling tournament

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2017/sep/03/baylors-reiniche-will-compete-team-usworld-wr/446970/

September 3rd, 2017by Ward Gossettin Sports - PrepsRead Time: 2 mins.

Baylor's Mason Reiniche, left, controls Father Ryan's Jared Frazier in the 126-pound class. Reiniche won the match. Montgomery Bell Academy, Father Ryan, Baylor and McCallie wrestled Friday night at the McCallie School

Photo by Robin Rudd /Times Free Press.

Mason finished 13th in the world!!

--------------------------------

Moc wrestling schedule...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2017/9/7/354383/Mocs-Announce-2017-18-Wrestling-Schedule.aspx

UTC's first dual is a Southern Conference matchup at VMI onNov. 4.  The next day, UTC is at the Hokie Open in Roanoke, Va.

The first home match of the year is against Virginia Tech in Maclellan Gym on Nov. 17.  The Hokies are coming off a sixth-place finish at last year's NCAA Tournament. 

UTC follows that with a trip to West Point, N.Y., for the Black Knight Invite on Nov. 19.  The Mocs also compete twice on Dec. 2, beginning with a match at Davidson early in the day.  UTC then makes a short trip to Lake Norman for an evening dual against N.C. State.  The Wolfpack placed 17th at the NCAAs in March.

The Mocs then have a big match against Ohio State in Atlanta, Ga., on Sunday, Dec. 17.  The Buckeyes were runners-up at last year's NCAA Championships.  UTC closes out the calendar year with a Dec. 18 home match against Ohio. 

The Southern Scuffle returns to Chattanooga on its traditional Jan. 1-2 dates in McKenzie Arena.  Non-conference action concludes with the Virginia Duals in Hampton, Va., on Jan. 12-13. 

UTC has home matches against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville (Jan. 19), Appalachian State (Feb. 4) and Gardner-Webb (Feb. 11) in the second half of the season.  Road bouts include at The Citadel (Jan. 21) and at Campbell (Feb. 18). 

The Citadel hosts the SoCon Tournament on March 3, while the NCAA Tournament is March 15-17 in Cleveland, Ohio. 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2017/aug/31/prep-notebook-mansuetwins-team-notre-dame-wre/446434/

Prep Notebook: Mansueto twins team up for Notre Dame wrestling

August 31st, 2017by Staff Reportsin Sports - PrepsRead Time: 5 mins.

1504150546_083117D04-Mansuetos-2_t350_h77abbfa9b4563ea5f21dab389daa6e5c4828afb1.jpg

Phillip Mansueto, back right, and his brother, Rocco Mansueto, , center, work with senior state placer Grant Speer in the wrestling practice facility at Notre Dame on Wednesday. Phillip has recently joined his brother on staff as part of the Irish wrestling squad.

A few days after learning he had made the final 20-man roster for the USA Baseball 18U national team, Cole Wilcox found himself on a bus headed to Canada.

The Heritage High School senior pitcher and his teammates will represent the United States in the WBSC Baseball World Cup beginning Friday in Thunder Bay, Ontario, which is about six hours northeast of Minneapolis. Team USA, attempting to win its third consecutive title in the event, will open against the Netherlands at 2 p.m.

"It was incredible when I learned I had made the team," Wilcox said. "Just knowing that all the work has paid off and reaching this stage is unbelievable. This means everything to me, being able to represent the greatest country in the world by playing the greatest sport in the world is more than a dream."

Wilcox turned heads in his second outing during the recent team trials in Minneapolis. After giving up four runs and five hits in his first appearance, the 6-foot-5 right-hander went three innings and allowed one hit and no runs while striking out three. Two days later, he learned he had made the final cut.

"The difference was I just settled down and realized I belonged," he said. "I had to remind myself that I had the stuff to go out and not just do well, but that I could dominate."

Wilcox continued his strong pitching Tuesday in the team's final exhibition game before heading north of the border. In an 8-2 win over Madison College, he pitched four scoreless innings in relief, allowing two hits and striking out five.

He isn't sure if he will be a starter or reliever in the Baseball World Cup, which is sanctioned by the World Baseball Softball Coalition.

1504150543_083117D04-Mansuetos-1_t377_hcfd8d61ead2a3b625d65de85a308d4b33dc32d42.jpg

Phillip Mansueto, left, and his twin brother, Rocco Mansueto, stand in the wrestling practice facility at Notre Dame High School on Wednesday. Phillip has recently joined his the staff of his brother, the program's head coach.

------------------

Mason finished 13th in the world!!

--------------------------------

Moc wrestling schedule...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2017/9/7/354383/Mocs-Announce-2017-18-Wrestling-Schedule.aspx

UTC's first dual is a Southern Conference matchup at VMI onNov. 4.  The next day, UTC is at the Hokie Open in Roanoke, Va.

The first home match of the year is against Virginia Tech in Maclellan Gym on Nov. 17.  The Hokies are coming off a sixth-place finish at last year's NCAA Tournament. 

UTC follows that with a trip to West Point, N.Y., for the Black Knight Invite on Nov. 19.  The Mocs also compete twice on Dec. 2, beginning with a match at Davidson early in the day.  UTC then makes a short trip to Lake Norman for an evening dual against N.C. State.  The Wolfpack placed 17th at the NCAAs in March.

The Mocs then have a big match against Ohio State in Atlanta, Ga., on Sunday, Dec. 17.  The Buckeyes were runners-up at last year's NCAA Championships.  UTC closes out the calendar year with a Dec. 18 home match against Ohio. 

The Southern Scuffle returns to Chattanooga on its traditional Jan. 1-2 dates in McKenzie Arena.  Non-conference action concludes with the Virginia Duals in Hampton, Va., on Jan. 12-13. 

UTC has home matches against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville (Jan. 19), Appalachian State (Feb. 4) and Gardner-Webb (Feb. 11) in the second half of the season.  Road bouts include at The Citadel (Jan. 21) and at Campbell (Feb. 18). 

The Citadel hosts the SoCon Tournament on March 3, while the NCAA Tournament is March 15-17 in Cleveland, Ohio. 

Prep Notebook: Mansueto twins team up for Notre Dame wrestling

August 31st, 2017by Staff Reportsin Sports - PrepsRead Time: 5 mins.

1504150546_083117D04-Mansuetos-2_t350_h77abbfa9b4563ea5f21dab389daa6e5c4828afb1.jpg

Phillip Mansueto, back right, and his brother, Rocco Mansueto, , center, work with senior state placer Grant Speer in the wrestling practice facility at Notre Dame on Wednesday. Phillip has recently joined his brother on staff as part of the Irish wrestling squad.

A few days after learning he had made the final 20-man roster for the USA Baseball 18U national team, Cole Wilcox found himself on a bus headed to Canada.

The Heritage High School senior pitcher and his teammates will represent the United States in the WBSC Baseball World Cup beginning Friday in Thunder Bay, Ontario, which is about six hours northeast of Minneapolis. Team USA, attempting to win its third consecutive title in the event, will open against the Netherlands at 2 p.m.

"It was incredible when I learned I had made the team," Wilcox said. "Just knowing that all the work has paid off and reaching this stage is unbelievable. This means everything to me, being able to represent the greatest country in the world by playing the greatest sport in the world is more than a dream."

Wilcox turned heads in his second outing during the recent team trials in Minneapolis. After giving up four runs and five hits in his first appearance, the 6-foot-5 right-hander went three innings and allowed one hit and no runs while striking out three. Two days later, he learned he had made the final cut.

"The difference was I just settled down and realized I belonged," he said. "I had to remind myself that I had the stuff to go out and not just do well, but that I could dominate."

Wilcox continued his strong pitching Tuesday in the team's final exhibition game before heading north of the border. In an 8-2 win over Madison College, he pitched four scoreless innings in relief, allowing two hits and striking out five.

He isn't sure if he will be a starter or reliever in the Baseball World Cup, which is sanctioned by the World Baseball Softball Coalition.

1504150543_083117D04-Mansuetos-1_t377_hcfd8d61ead2a3b625d65de85a308d4b33dc32d42.jpg

Phillip Mansueto, left, and his twin brother, Rocco Mansueto, stand in the wrestling practice facility at Notre Dame High School on Wednesday. Phillip has recently joined his the staff of his brother, the program's head coach.

City Prep Tourname

Brothers team up

For the first time since 2003, the Mansueto brothers are on the same team — and Notre Dame stands to be a major beneficiary.

Coach Rocco Mansueto has hired his twin Phil to help with the Fighting Irish wrestling program.

The two were competitors growing up, then teammates through their high school and college years.

"We were very competitive," Rocco recalled. "We were wrestling before we knew what wrestling was. I remember fists being thrown in the middle of the night."

They were one-two, the first on the mat at their high school in Middletown, N.Y. — before the national association encouraged rotating starting weight classes — and then again for Cleveland State once they reached college.

"We're still competitive and we still roll around, but we don't go live with each other anymore. We're too weathered," Rocco said.

Rocco, Heath Eslinger's first assistant when he took over at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, already has endured a hip replacement and Phil now has a pacemaker.

Phil's initial duties for Notre Dame will be running the Irish Wrestling Club, along with Guy Harris. That starts up in November.

"Guy has been on staff for two years with IWC and he has done a superb job, but it's hard to pass up bringing in Phil to work alongside him," Rocco said. "At the end of the day, the ultimate goal is to surround our athletes with very good people. Phil will also play a role in our high school program, but the wrestling club will be his priority."

Phil — a three-time NCAA qualifier who twice made it to the championship tournament's round of 12 — had been coaching at Signal Mountain as a high school team assistant and middle school head coach.

He moved this year to Red Bank Middle but has no coaching responsibilities there, freeing him up to rejoin his brother.

"I'm looking forward to it. Just the opportunity of working with my twin brother is something I looked forward to, plus I get to whip up on him again," Phil said. "We have never coached together, and up until recently we had never coached against each other."

Both figure they'll make a good team.

"We have different philosophies — coach differently," Phil said. "I believe we have the backbone of working hard, but Rocco is such a skills-based guy and I'm more on letting the horses run and situation wrestling."

Added Rocco: "He's great at building relationships."

To which his brother later responded with a laugh, "If I have to return the compliment, Rocco's an administrator and he does such a great job of running a program from fundraising to building a team."