Watching a local AAU tournament yesterday reminded me how terrible it is

Too many times the parents at these glorified pickup games scream and yell at the officials and their own children. Not to mention the players talking to the refs, other players, and creating drama with every no call.

These parents have created a toxic environment for everyone involved, especially their kids.

I actually saw a lady so upset that her drama queen daughter was getting no fouls called when she drove to the basket that she walked up and down the sideline in the 2nd half filming the refs. She failed to realizeher daughter flopped more than a Italian soccer player and was a first rate show-boat.

My daughter chooses not to play and if she wanted to I am not sure we would even let her. It brings out the worst in some parents and players.

It's like that in a lot places in every sport and in every age group. I've been attending a lot more youth and school games lately and it is really appalling to see and hear. I was at my niece's 8 year old basketball game a few weeks back. A lot of the kids can barely dribble, looks more like herding cats than a basketball game. Parents were livid with the refs for the majority of the game. They foul constantly, travel every other time they touch the ball, and these people were giving it to these two poor souls that were just trying to make that game possible and earn a measly $20. It is really, really sad.

It's bad all over. I was at a game 2 weeks ago and the police actually had to called in to calm some parents down.

Some Sunday afternoons you would think 10 yr olds were playing for a State Championship and not a $2 medal that no one outside of mamas Facebook followers will ever hear about.

You see it all at these tournaments. Teams that lose on Saturday show up with a kid with a full beard on Sunday just so they can win. Parents yelling at other teams players, freaking out on officials, getting thrown out, etc

Travel ball is meant to make kids better and of course to learn to compete. I think most kids get that. Some parents do not. Once or twice I've had to remind myself to calm down. I occasionally get lost in competition myself so I don't claim to be perfect. I get more rational by the year however.

As far as officials go, I wouldn't ref a travel tournament for anything. It is extremely difficult to officiate younger kids because of the constant fouling, jump balls, and travels. My only issue there is the lack of consistency. Some games kids are literally bleeding afterwards and in others the ref calls everything. Once you have made the rounds a few times, you know how to play based on the officials in that particular gym. No way to really fix that and the same applies most nights during HS season.

It's bad all over. I was at a game 2 weeks ago and the police actually had to called in to calm some parents down.

Some Sunday afternoons you would think 10 yr olds were playing for a State Championship and not a $2 medal that no one outside of mamas Facebook followers will ever hear about.

You see it all at these tournaments. Teams that lose on Saturday show up with a kid with a full beard on Sunday just so they can win. Parents yelling at other teams players, freaking out on officials, getting thrown out, etc

Travel ball is meant to make kids better and of course to learn to compete. I think most kids get that. Some parents do not. Once or twice I've had to remind myself to calm down. I occasionally get lost in competition myself so I don't claim to be perfect. I get more rational by the year however.

As far as officials go, I wouldn't ref a travel tournament for anything. It is extremely difficult to officiate younger kids because of the constant fouling, jump balls, and travels. My only issue there is the lack of consistency. Some games kids are literally bleeding afterwards and in others the ref calls everything. Once you have made the rounds a few times, you know how to play based on the officials in that particular gym. No way to really fix that and the same applies most nights during HS season.

Good post. I am a lot like you. No way would I ever ref an AAU game.

Good post. I am a lot like you. No way would I ever ref an AAU game.

I wouldn't ref one either but if you out there refereeing and getting paid to do it at least get up and down the court .    I get caught up in it myself but have gotten better. I have been to some this summer where the refs looked to be about 15-16 years old . I wish there was a way of instructing these younger kids.