Tullahoma 2016

Coming off the only winless season in school history, it will be easy for pundits to ignore the Tullahoma Wildcats when the conversation turns to 4A playoff potential and Region 4-4A possibilities.

Not so fast my friend.

The Cats play four of their first five games in the friendly confines of Wilkins Stadium. Three of those four are against Tullahoma's most intense rivals - Coffee Co., Franklin Co. and Shelbyville. Note that none of the three are region opponents, which is part of Tullahoma's problem with its region placement. It's non-region games are its closest rivals.

All focus is on the season opener - the 99th edition of the Coffee Pot game against Coffee Co. What happens opening night could go a long way in determining how the rest of the season plays out. For the first time in my 30+ years of covering Wildcat football, the Cats were completely outmanned last year by the Red Raiders. If that happens again it could be a long season in T-town.

But I believe the Wildcats will compete in that opener, and I believe Tullahoma has a chance to win half its games and return to the playoffs. Coffee Co., Franklin Co., Shelbyville, Page, Spring Hill, Lawrence Co. and Lincoln Co. are all games that the Cats should have a chance to win.

Admittedly, Marshall Co., Giles Co. and Pearl-Cohn are going to be huge challenges for a very young Tullahoma team that will likely have sophomores at half its starting positions on both sides of the ball.

As John Olive prepares for his 24th season at the helm of the program, there is a renewed sense of dedication and focus. This is a young team that should get better as the season goes along, and a team that could surprise some folks this fall.

Can Tullahoma end its 11-game losing streak and upset Coffee Co. in the season opener? Can the Cats make the playoffs?

Coming off the only winless season in school history, it will be easy for pundits to ignore the Tullahoma Wildcats when the conversation turns to 4A playoff potential and Region 4-4A possibilities.

Not so fast my friend.

The Cats play four of their first five games in the friendly confines of Wilkins Stadium. Three of those four are against Tullahoma's most intense rivals - Coffee Co., Franklin Co. and Shelbyville. Note that none of the three are region opponents, which is part of Tullahoma's problem with its region placement. It's non-region games are its closest rivals.

All focus is on the season opener - the 99th edition of the Coffee Pot game against Coffee Co. What happens opening night could go a long way in determining how the rest of the season plays out. For the first time in my 30+ years of covering Wildcat football, the Cats were completely outmanned last year by the Red Raiders. If that happens again it could be a long season in T-town.

But I believe the Wildcats will compete in that opener, and I believe Tullahoma has a chance to win half its games and return to the playoffs. Coffee Co., Franklin Co., Shelbyville, Page, Spring Hill, Lawrence Co. and Lincoln Co. are all games that the Cats should have a chance to win.

Admittedly, Marshall Co., Giles Co. and Pearl-Cohn are going to be huge challenges for a very young Tullahoma team that will likely have sophomores at half its starting positions on both sides of the ball.

As John Olive prepares for his 24th season at the helm of the program, there is a renewed sense of dedication and focus. This is a young team that should get better as the season goes along, and a team that could surprise some folks this fall.

Can Tullahoma end its 11-game losing streak and upset Coffee Co. in the season opener? Can the Cats make the playoffs?

Lots of tradition in Tullahoma

Not so fast my friend.

Question I know you guys have a nice track team down there. Do any of the guys play football?

Not so fast my friend.

Tradition does not win games, players do. Where are their athletes?