RUNNING CLOCK GAMES/BLOWOUTS

hoofbeat

Here is a novel idea. Practice, work and compete. Stop reaching for get the privates out or change the cut off. What are we teaching our kids? This world is not going to give you anything. Please!!!!!!

I for one absolutely hate blowout games. I will stay at home when I know we, UC, are on the road and I think we will blowout the team we are playing. But the single biggest reason that happens is because our kids work hard and dedicate themselves to the program. Now other people out there say it's because we are a large 1A school. I remember before Coach Bowling arrived when we were not the team we are now. We barely made the playoffs and when we did, we were out in the first round. Why? Because the coach at that time didn't allow full contact in practice. There was no tackling. No real hitting and on game night it showed up. For the last 9 years we have been different in practice and the evidence is there. We have had a couple of lean years in this stretch as well and have been knocked out of the playoffs by smaller 1A schools. It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. Look what Coalfield did in 2014. They are one of the smaller 1A schools in the state and they played for the state championship. That same year Peabody was one of the smaller 2A schools in the state and they won the Title. It's how hard you work and strive to succeed.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a novel idea. Practice, work and compete. Stop reaching for get the privates out or change the cut off. What are we teaching our kids? This world is not going to give you anything. Please!!!!!!

I would love to agree with you but the problem is the world or at least our country WILL give you everything. Don't want to work We will give you a place to live , food , electricity , heck even a cell phone that last I checked wasn't a necessity. Without making this political my point being a lot of places have a harder time over coming that. BUT your absolutely right not everyone can always have the talent but if you can get coaches , kids , the school , and a community to work hard and be dedicated you will be successful no matter how big or small.

Edited by old24eagle

I for one absolutely hate blowout games. I will stay at home when I know we, UC, are on the road and I think we will blowout the team we are playing. But the single biggest reason that happens is because our kids work hard and dedicate themselves to the program. Now other people out there say it's because we are a large 1A school. I remember before Coach Bowling arrived when we were not the team we are now. We barely made the playoffs and when we did, we were out in the first round. Why? Because the coach at that time didn't allow full contact in practice. There was no tackling. No real hitting and on game night it showed up. For the last 9 years we have been different in practice and the evidence is there. We have had a couple of lean years in this stretch as well and have been knocked out of the playoffs by smaller 1A schools. It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. Look what Coalfield did in 2014. They are one of the smaller 1A schools in the state and they played for the state championship. That same year Peabody was one of the smaller 2A schools in the state and they won the Title. It's how hard you work and strive to succeed.

I agree with u BigSwo I dont think hoofbeat wants the terrible teams to get participation trophies or anything I think he means he wants the football games to be more competitive.  Some of these teams realistically dont have the depth or care about their football program is part of it.

I say this the T$$AA has always been about the dollar and hoofbeat is right it is taking away from their profit.  If anyone from there goes on these boards that helps to vote on decisions or knows someone that does you could give them this idea.

What if for the smaller 1A schools you put seperate the bigger and smaller 1A schools that way the teams that dont have any depth to switch out have the same advantage and the schools that do have the same advantage.  And dont use the excuse well you'd have to travel more.  Everyone in our region we have now travels about 2 hours to most games anyways.  Also there is a 1a region in our area that has some schools about our size.  This can be done.  This would help the smaller teams in our region vie for a playoff shot which might give them some incentive to get better and play great which might help some of the talent get a local college to scout them.

I like this idea what do you guys think.

I would love to agree with you but the problem is the world or at least our country WILL give you everything. Don't want to work We will give you a place to live , food , electricity , heck even a cell phone that last I checked wasn't a necessity. Without making this political my point being a lot of places have a harder time over coming that. BUT your absolutely right not everyone can always have the talent but if you can get coaches , kids , the school , and a community to work hard and be dedicated you will be successful no matter how big or small.

True if people would do that it'd be great but some communities dont worry about their kid and community which is another problem with the world and yes we babying people too much.  Especially doing cell phones.  Hoofbeat is talking about being a team that continuing blows the other team out its not doing you any favors either and hurts you come playoff time.  The regions are so big now you cant schedule but 2 or 3 good nonregion opponents either in most.