Morristown West at Tennessee High

I'll defend the coaches (whoever they are, revolving door at THS nowadays) in that hey.... maybe the "talent" you think you have is just not that good.  Football is X's and O's, and if a coach calls something he is expecting his kids to execute.  If the kids aren't executing, you can coach them up until you are blue in the face, but it eventually comes down to them making plays.  I've heard THS is young so they will bounce back, but let's be for real and just admit that THS is not the THS of old.  Transfers in, transfers out, not playing football, and parents who preach about how "your coaches are idiots, your coaches are idiots, your coaches are idiots" really make things difficult for any program.

Boom.  Mo West by 42.

Its time to clean house at THS. This program has been spiraling downward at an alarming rate.They do have some talent but dont have a clue how to use it. I saw all i needed see first game under Mays..watched his team blow a 21 point first half lead lead. in 5min.against south...didn't have a clue what to do.I did give him benefit of the doubt..and gave him time...time is up...lost control of the team last year and agian this year ..no team discipline...no fire and no execution ..no excuse.Im sure he is under fire..if not he should be.

Mike Mays is a good man and one heck of a football coach.  He could walk into any school in the state and walk out with a job there and he knows it.  If the people in Bristol run him, or any of the other good coaches on the THS staff, off, then they would be making a horrible mistake.

Everyone on that staff is a good coach.  Every single one.  Once you get past Mays, you have two former head coaches and several guys who could easily be either head coaches or coordinators at just about any school in the area if they weren't loyal to THS.  You won't find a harder working, more experienced, or more knowledgeable staff around.

The culture in Bristol is toxic.  Forget football: THS isn't the same school it was 10 or 15 years ago.  Administration doesn't support athletics or discipline like it used to (in fact, administration there is flat out insane), the community can't be bothered to attend home games, and a lot of the parents and people attaching themselves to the program from the outside wind up hurting far more than they help.

Many of the kids in the school feel entitled and self-important to the point where a lot of the best athletes just won't compete in any team sports anymore because they can't put their own ego aside for the sake of a team.  It has to be all about them or else.

It's hard to coach kids who won't listen because they have their parents telling them what world class athletes they are and undermining the coaches at every turn, and, last time I checked, I didn't see coaches out there turning the ball over or blowing the same assignments they've been working on for months.

With all that said, THS is struggling so much this year because they are a very young team without a lot of talent in the upper classes.  Look at how many sophomores are being relied on to fill big roles there!  They are basically going into battle in a very tough conference with a JV squad.  Give them a year or two and they'll be back where they've traditionally been.  There is a lot of talent in the 9th and 10th grades, but it's not ready for prime time yet.

So stop talking about what you don't understand and calling for guys to lose their jobs.  These men all know what they're doing.  This isn't the SEC where head coaches make millions and assistant coaches get paid six figures to go out and recruit whatever kids they want.  These men are high school teachers and coaches who devote their lives to these young men, working 80 hour weeks to get these kids ready to play week in and week out.  They aren't getting rich off coaching (if you knew what the stipends look like and what the hourly breakdown is, you'd laugh), they have families of their own to feed (families they sacrifice time to be with in order to coach) and this is their livelihood you are talking about.

In short, back off and either support the whole team, including the players and coaches, or go do something else with your Friday nights.  I hear East is having a good season.  Go jump on that bandwagon.

• Upvote 1

#1 THS does not have the talent this year to compete.

#2 Their offensive line is very small and can't block your grandmother hence the problems with quarterback and play calling. If a quarterback has No blocking there's not much they can do.

#3 Their defense can't tackle even though they have improved in the last few games. They also give up at least 20 yards on each pass. Once the opposing team gets the ball they almost always score.

#4 Parents could care less if they win as long as their son plays. We have parents who actually (if you can believe this) sit in the stands and boo other players and coaches during the game.

These coaches can't turn apples into oranges. If you do not have the talent you can only do so much. Hopefully with younger players coming up things are going to get better. Viking Pride!!

Go Vikes!

Edited by rebfaid7
  • Upvote 1