MCMINN CO @ FARRAGUT

bradley99

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be the game of the week in 5A, the only other good match-up that I see is Ooltwah vs. Campbell County. I know in the past that McMinn has always been tough. I see that they are now running a Wing-T offense(always a challenge to defend against). The Admirals will have their work cut out for them on Friday night and hopefully the offense will continue to play well as it has since the off week. I don't know much else about McMinn, anyone else know anything?

This may be the game of the week in 5A, the only other good match-up that I see is Ooltwah vs. Campbell County. I know in the past that McMinn has always been tough. I see that they are now running a Wing-T offense(always a challenge to defend against). The Admirals will have their work cut out for them on Friday night and hopefully the offense will continue to play well as it has since the off week. I don't know much else about McMinn, anyone else know anything?

I know a little.  They are very good on offense.  They only run 5 plays and 1 of those is punt. Ha Ha.   They run a lead, a counter, a sweep, and a waggle (play action bootleg pass).  Lull you to sleep with 3,4, yards at a time and then throw the waggle.  When they do pass (about 5 times a game) the guy is usually wide open.  They are perfectly content with 3 yards at a time, and will go for it 4th and 4 or less from just about anywhere on the field.  They will keep the ball for 7,8,9 minutes at a time and limit the opponents offensive possessions.  You will only get the ball about 6 times, so you have to maximize those possessions.  They are very physical and play really hard.  It will be a tough test.  

I know a little.  They are very good on offense.  They only run 5 plays and 1 of those is punt. Ha Ha.   They run a lead, a counter, a sweep, and a waggle (play action bootleg pass).  Lull you to sleep with 3,4, yards at a time and then throw the waggle.  When they do pass (about 5 times a game) the guy is usually wide open.  They are perfectly content with 3 yards at a time, and will go for it 4th and 4 or less from just about anywhere on the field.  They will keep the ball for 7,8,9 minutes at a time and limit the opponents offensive possessions.  You will only get the ball about 6 times, so you have to maximize those possessions.  They are very physical and play really hard.  It will be a tough test.  

Thank you for the information. Hopefully the Admirals will be able to stop the Wing-T. I know we have major problems last year against Rhea Co. and still almost won the game. The thing I worry about is McMinn controlling the ball like you say. That will be the best defense(to keep the Admirals off the field). I think this is the best match-up in Round 1 statewide. 

Thank you for the information. Hopefully the Admirals will be able to stop the Wing-T. I know we have major problems last year against Rhea Co. and still almost won the game. The thing I worry about is McMinn controlling the ball like you say. That will be the best defense(to keep the Admirals off the field). I think this is the best match-up in Round 1 statewide.

Learned long ago, the best way to defend the Wing T offense. Tackle everyone in the backfield every play. :) Edited by alt1958

Oak Ridge had the ball 6 times against McMinn.  We had 4 scores and 2 punts and lost.  We got the ball for the first time down 7-0 with 2 minutes left in the first.   McMinn is very good at what they do.  It's similar to what Rhea Co. does, but there aren't as many big splash plays.   They are not quite as big and strong as Rhea, but they are very tough and physical.  That was the bottom line against us.  They were tougher and more physical.  We just flat out couldn't get them stopped.  

Oak Ridge had the ball 6 times against McMinn.  We had 4 scores and 2 punts and lost.  We got the ball for the first time down 7-0 with 2 minutes left in the first.   McMinn is very good at what they do.  It's similar to what Rhea Co. does, but there aren't as many big splash plays.   They are not quite as big and strong as Rhea, but they are very tough and physical.  That was the bottom line against us.  They were tougher and more physical.  We just flat out couldn't get them stopped.  

Wow that is crazy. The Admirals better be prepared to make the most of every offensive opportunity seeing that they will be few and far between. This game makes me nervous.

Yeah, we knew going in that they were going to try to control the clock and keep the ball.  We just couldn't stop it.  They would get 3,4,5 yards a play and they were perfectly happy with that all the way down the field.  The key to controlling their offense in my opinion is to win first down.  If they are in 2nd and 9, 10 or more, they don't really have the style of offense to recover from that.  If they get a holding and get behind the chains, its hard for them to recover.  Your corners get in a bind because you need them on the edge to come up quickly and stop the run, then they pull it and throw it over your head.   The tough thing about it is they are very efficient on offense, it's really hard to get a good look during the week from your scout team.  All that said, Go Ads, (can't believe I just said that)

Oak Ridge had the ball 6 times against McMinn. We had 4 scores and 2 punts and lost. We got the ball for the first time down 7-0 with 2 minutes left in the first. McMinn is very good at what they do. It's similar to what Rhea Co. does, but there aren't as many big splash plays. They are not quite as big and strong as Rhea, but they are very tough and physical. That was the bottom line against us. They were tougher and more physical. We just flat out couldn't get them stopped.

MAN JUST ERASE THAT GAME FROM YOUR MEMORY AS A BAAD GAME LOL. THE MCMINN THAT YOU PLAYED HASN'T BEEN SEEN ERRSINCE.YAL HAD ME WORRIED ABOUT MY FRONTLINE AND QB BUT I DIDN'T SEE THEIR FRONTLINE BLOWING UP NOBODY.

#LOP