2017 DII A

OrangeEagle

I was in agreement with your other post, this one not so much. In theory your solution makes sense, but in practicality there are obstacles that prevent some students from co-op'ing , with travel being foremost. Like I stated...I would have relished the chance to play, but would never have played for a "rival" school in other sports, would have been halfway through my junior year before I had transportation, and the added amount of travel time would have made it impractical if not impossible. If I had to offer a solution with regard to fairness for both viewpoints, it would be a hard limit on co op student athletes determined by classification...example; 1A 3 students, 2A 5 students, ect...That would still allow for "recruiting", and the possibility of even the smallest school to tremendously better themselves, but you can't account for everything, and would give the kids an avenue to play that they do deserve.

EDIT...TSSAA can't force schools to do anything...they are a separate entity that schools pay to be associated with. Their only power is the fact that member schools wish to remain in alliance, thus most always abide by the bylaws.

Trader-  I see what you're saying, but I guess I'm really talking about private school co-ops.  Lots of arguments pro and con in the public school setting so it would be hard to solve that one, but private schools co-oping especially the Lausanne situation "just ain't right".  Lausanne is getting athletes from a public charter school and the charter school kids don't have to pay the $22,000 per year tuition, Lausanne doesn't have to dip into their endowment fund to pay toward the kid's scholarship and the charter school kid does not have to adhere to the private school's academic regimen.  In effect, all the charter kids do is drive over or ride the Lausanne bus over to the school for football practice and games.  In this scenario, you can't even say it's a bought team because no one is paying!  The DCA/USN which is closer to me and in my division, still should count both schools in my opinion, but at least both kids (DCA and USN) are paying tuition somewhere and the academics are comparable.  Still I think the students population should be combined, but not as bad as the Lausanne situation.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic