Finally in Maury County...

Sommers

Wrestling at Spring Hill High to be First in Maury County...

http://www.columbiadailyherald.com/sports/20161024/wrestling-at-spring-hill-high-to-be-first-in-maury-county

Spring Hill wrestling coach Beau Moss comes to the area after helping rebuild Hendersonville High School's program. 

Courtesy photo

Monday

Posted Oct 24, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Spring Hill High School has welcomed Beau Moss into the fold as the school's first wrestling coach.

By Special to the Herald

A sport that has seen steady growth in our state is finally coming to Maury County Schools.

The TSSAA reports statewide numbers of high schools with wrestling programs to be about 200. Middle Tennessee has become a hotbed for the sport of wrestling in recent history. Last month the Board of Education (BOE) approved Maury County’s first high school program to begin at Spring Hill High School.

Assistant Principal Richard Godfrey had the initial vision of bringing wrestling to Spring Hill after meeting Coach Beau Moss this summer.

“Mr. Godfrey and I talked many times over the summer about what it would take to make this happen,†said Moss.

Finally, everything came together with the help of Athletic Director John Farmer and County Athletic Director Larry Brown.

Moss will head up the Raiders program for their first year. Moss comes to Spring Hill after helping to rebuild the wrestling program at Hendersonville High School. Moss jumped at the Spring Hill opportunity as it brings him much closer to home.

“My decision was primarily based on what is best for my family, secondarily Spring Hill High School has tremendous potential for success†Moss said.

Moss knows that the General Motors Plant brought many families to Spring Hill from North of the Mason Dixon line, where wrestling is deeply ingrained into most communities.

Moss, who teaches history, says that the 2016-2017 school year will be spent fundraising for equipment. Wrestling mats can cost upwards of $15,000. The Raiders will hit the mat in November 2017 for their first TSSAA wrestling season.

“There is no doubt in my mind that school sanctioned wrestling will spread throughout Maury County, I know that our rival, Columbia Central has inquired about wrestling after hearing that Spring Hill will have a program,†says Moss. “I am just really excited to be here in Spring Hill, the support has been tremendous.â€

When asked about the best strategy a new wrestling team must learn, Moss laughed and said “Shoot first, ask questions later,†which is a reference to a wrestling “takedown.â€

Anyone that would like to help the team with a sponsorship or a donation should contact Coach Moss or make a check payable to SHHS Wrestling. Coach Moss can be contacted at jmoss@mauryk12.org or by phone at Spring Hill High School.

Let's not forget that Lawrence County was the first school  close to Maury County that had a team.  This is great news for the wrestling community and the Spring Hill wrestling program will only get better after a few seasons.  It would be great if Columbia Central and Columbia Academy were to begin a wrestling program in the near future.