Franklin (10-2) at Whitehaven (12-0) - 6A Quarterfinal

kwc

Franklin vs Centennial , August 19, 2016

The Centennial Cougars are 5A. They are currently 11-1 on the season. They just beat Henry County 21-0 in the 2nd round of the playoffs. They beat Bolton 35-12 in the 1st round.

They beat Franklin in this game 28-24. This game is 1 of only two losses that Franklin had on the season.

Edited by kwc

Brentwood vs Franklin - Sept. 9th, 2016

The Brentwood Bruins are also 5A. They are 8-4 on the season. Brentwood beat Kirby 55-28 in the 1st round of the 5A playoffs. They just beat Central 34-27 in the 2nd round. Brentwood plays Centennial in the 5A quaterfinals this week.

Franklin beat Brentwood in this game by a score on 41-7.

Edited by kwc

Franklin is a very talented and well coached team from what I can see.

Offensively, from what I've seen on the two games above, they have big #42 as their bread and butter runner up the middle, and on occasion they run him wide. He is a load. He plays both ways. Their run game starts with him, but their QB is VERY fast and he will either go around the edge, when he fakes #42 up the middle, or, he goes up the middle when he fakes #42 going wide. He's fast as lightning. On the edges, they have big and tall #5, that they love to throw deep to. They also have diminutive #4, who is also fast as lightning. They like to shuttle pass to him and run him around the edges ... or they like to either throw a screen pass to him or throw deep to him. Again, #4 has speed to burn. I wiil say this ...they BLOCK. The O-line AND the WR will hold blocks when they run wide or up the middle. They execute their designed plays well.

The Whitehaven 'D' will have their hands full. We can not allow big #42 to just have running lanes. He is a wrecking crew coming up the middle. We have to slow him down consistently. We can't get so focused on stopping him that we allow the QB to run as he pleases, because he's again, fast as lightning. We have to control the LOS.

Defensively, they play very disciplined assignment 'D'. No 'hero' ball. They play as a team and they focus on stopping the run. Big #42 also plays LB. He doesn't come off of the field. They play to stop the run by penetrating their D-line into the backfield. They swarm to the ball. They make it difficult to pass on obvious passing downs ... third and long. They make it hard to find running lanes.

Special teams is also a strong suit for them. Their kicker consistently kicks deep into the end zone on kick offs. He is also exceptional at kicking FGs. When the opposing team punts the ball, they almost always GO AFTER the punter to block the punt. They don't do punt returns. The punt returner is just there to catch the punt. They aren't trying to put on a return ... they want to BLOCK the punt, or just pet pressure on the punter to possibly SHANK a punt.

That's all I have for now. Any Franklin folk in the house?

Let me be the one to tell you!!!! #42 is bout to get like he ain't never had it. That mean we gone pound him in the ground...no big backs have ever pounded us out and it most Def won't be this year..he playing LB and he the main back...he gone wore down by 3rd qtr at best...Thacker and Aubrey gone be smashing him every time he come through the middle...the QB don't look fast to me. But it's gone be a whole different look for him when he has 6'3 and 6"6 DE's coming hard off the edges after him. ..I'm sure they are well coached as most are gettin into these later rounds but I can assure you one thing as I've said many times this season already...none of them have seen a defense like the one we have...power, size, speed, and more than anything, HUNGRY!!!!! May be a better game than the last but maybe not...one more thing. We have this kid we call, Special K!!!!!