Region 2 6A

alt1958

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tougher than the TSSAA SEC?

In the late 70's the old District 5 was considered a very tough district. It did encompass the 76 State Champion, Bradley Central, Rhea County, Red Bank, McMinn County, Cumberland County, East Ridge, and Soddy Daisy.

Not sure it matched the Murfreesboro group over the last decade tho.  I would not try to say the new Region 2 will be tougher, yet, but I think it's going to be very competitive and much closer to that region.

With the fact Bradley has to pick up 4 games out of region, I would look to see Bradley's schedule to include Walker Valley, Rhea County, and maybe Soddy Daisy. The Bears did do a home and home with both Blackman and Riverdale in recent years too, so I would not be surprised to see a similar situation there again.

Cleveland High will likely pick up Walker Valley as well, and Rhea County (that is quite the rivalry) and maybe Soddy Daisy. Just not sure where they will go for the 4th.

McMinn County will pick up McMinn Central, and probably Walker Valley. Not sure where they would go for the other 2.

What do others think their teams will look to do for non region games?

In the late 70's the old District 5 was considered a very tough district. It did encompass the 76 State Champion, Bradley Central, Rhea County, Red Bank, McMinn County, Cumberland County, East Ridge, and Soddy Daisy.

Not sure it matched the Murfreesboro group over the last decade tho. I would not try to say the new Region 2 will be tougher, yet, but I think it's going to be very competitive and much closer to that region.

With the fact Bradley has to pick up 4 games out of region, I would look to see Bradley's schedule to include Walker Valley, Rhea County, and maybe Soddy Daisy. The Bears did do a home and home with both Blackman and Riverdale in recent years too, so I would not be surprised to see a similar situation there again.

Cleveland High will likely pick up Walker Valley as well, and Rhea County (that is quite the rivalry) and maybe Soddy Daisy. Just not sure where they will go for the 4th.

McMinn County will pick up McMinn Central, and probably Walker Valley. Not sure where they would go for the other 2.

What do others think their teams will look to do for non region games?

As much as we deal with Baylor during the off season each year, I'm surprised they aren't on the schedule each year. As I wouldn't mind playing old district foes, I wouldn't mind changing it up some. From the east, I wouldn't mind playing Alcoa for a couple years. Knox Catholic.

Head to middle tn for Smyrna. Even Oakland. Teams we never play or see.

I know it may be good money, so called rivalry and grandparents gets to see their grandkids play at both schools and what not, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to ditch Walker Valley for a couple years..

I could see Bradley scheduling Walker Valley & Rhea County for sure. Good rivalries & gate money. There was a good rivalry with Polk County before Bradley went Super 32 & Polk's program tanked. I don't think Polk would want to play them anytime soon, unless they needed the gate money. I don't know if Soddy will want to play them either.

Alcoa would be a good rivalry to try to establish & maybe Notre Dame would have an interest. Who knows about Baylor & McCallie? Will be interesting.

will it let you add 2017 to the Topic title?

nope. I saw it was missing and added it when making the topic and then doing the first post but for some reason about half of what I put in does not show up on the site. Somtimes I have to repost or edit things 2 or 3 times. 

Edited by alt1958

I could see Bradley scheduling Walker Valley & Rhea County for sure. Good rivalries & gate money. There was a good rivalry with Polk County before Bradley went Super 32 & Polk's program tanked. I don't think Polk would want to play them anytime soon, unless they needed the gate money. I don't know if Soddy will want to play them either.

Alcoa would be a good rivalry to try to establish & maybe Notre Dame would have an interest. Who knows about Baylor & McCallie? Will be interesting.

I agree Polk would be a great gate, if they were back at the level they were at, but not sure they want to go back into the series at this point. We had some great games with them over those years, and it was really great to go over there for games as well.

There is a reason I said "maybe Soddy Daisy". Baylor and McCallie are both interesting choices, but then you give them a free scouting expedition since the rules are allowing them to recruit at will going forward.