TN Coach's Poll 6 February 2017

ArtusCimber

So if it's not necessarily about what happens at State then you'd be ok if Cleveland is ranked ahead of your bears given that they beat them twice this year?

Bradley fans do not care one bit about this 'ranking'.

There is this thing called a State Duals Tournament where they crown a State Champion on the mat. Bradley just won it. There are no polls involved in winning the Championship.

Edited by FootballFan51

Ow, been around long enough, wrestled at some great programs and coached at some great ones both in state and out of state. Again individuals have nothing to do with the placements of the best teams, I have seen three former medalists in region 4 to out and place 1-3 in the same weight, guess what happens at that point? Those other 2 not getting seeded while a former medalist from say region 8 has no competition and wins the region and gets a seeding and not put into the blind draw, seen it happen many times before and at that point see a former medalist place third in a region have to wrestle a former medalist that won his region second round, that means if he doesn't win it he spends most of the time fighting back through consos to even place. That's why individuals don't matter proving who is the best team. And the question was asked who behind Soddy actually beat them? No one their losses this year in duals were to Cleveland and Bradley and a few D2 schools. So again as they say to be the Man you have to beat the man, and in the case of some of those other programs including your own Arlington they were weighed, they have been measured, and they have been found wanting, and I know that sticks in your craw as you have whined incestantly ever poll this year but I am pretty sure the coaches know more than you do about whose the best and they rank Soddy higher than many other programs

Edited by cobrakid8

That's the great thing about that poll compared to the Pin-TN rankings. Instead of just one person from one part of the state, it is many different coaches throughout the entire state who see different teams/tournaments/dual matches throughout the year and they voice their opinions based on what they personally have seen along with the stats from what has happened.

Because it is many different view points that are then tallied up to find the middle ground, it gives the most unbiased ranking we could ask for.

No one is ever going to produce a ranking in which everyone agrees with. That's why it is great to have this poll of chosen coaches (who I assume have all been around the game for many years) to come together and voice their opinion and give us something to talk about.

Thanks Cobrakid. Life isn't fair and that sucks. But the Region 8 boys enjoyed their trip to Franklin and while well never be champions in your heart, we're happy that our boys are competing on a high enough level to be one round from bringing home a plaque, so we can take solice in that. I know our coaches were not satisfied with almost, but being there is half the battle, if you don't show up you can't compete. We're building and eventually hope to be good enough to be considered 3rd best in your region. Until then we'll just take our Region 8 Duals Champion trophy and keep building.

That's the great thing about that poll compared to the Pin-TN rankings. Instead of just one person from one part of the state, it is many different coaches throughout the entire state who see different teams/tournaments/dual matches throughout the year and they voice their opinions based on what they personally have seen along with the stats from what has happened.

Because it is many different view points that are then tallied up to find the middle ground, it gives the most unbiased ranking we could ask for.

No one is ever going to produce a ranking in which everyone agrees with. That's why it is great to have this poll of chosen coaches (who I assume have all been around the game for many years) to come together and voice their opinion and give us something to talk about.

I'd love to see the list of chosen coaches to get a regional breakdown as well as division breakdown. Would be fun to see.

OW, your mind would explode. I am one of the voters, we wrestled almost every team that is in the poll, either in a dual or a tournament. This is the only actual poll that coaches from all over the state vote, the only poll that isn't just someone sitting in their underwear at a computer screen making up a top 10 list. So, basically, it's the only poll that even kinda matters. All year, you pick at and complain. Enoiugh. We all spend time reviewing results weekly. Like one HOF'er once told me back in 2000 when I inquired to why we, CBHS, were not ranked (I wasn't a voter back then), Luther told me, "Beat someone."

Chris Lewis

CBHS Wrestling

• Upvote 2

OW, your mind would explode. I am one of the voters, we wrestled almost every team that is in the poll, either in a dual or a tournament. This is the only actual poll that coaches from all over the state vote, the only poll that isn't just someone sitting in their underwear at a computer screen making up a top 10 list. So, basically, it's the only poll that even kinda matters. All year, you pick at and complain. Enoiugh. We all spend time reviewing results weekly. Like one HOF'er once told me back in 2000 when I inquired to why we, CBHS, were not ranked (I wasn't a voter back then), Luther told me, "Beat someone."

Chris Lewis

CBHS Wrestling

Love it!

Great post coach!!!

Chris Lewis

CBHS Wrestling

I'm a big fan Coach, and I sing your praises. Not sure why my mind would explode or what that even means but my "picking and complaining" was on point most of the year. At the beginning neither CBHS or Arlington were given their due respect in the poll. Halls is another that was overlooked. I'll admit I was off on a few picks but it was enjoyable to jab at Artis, and deep down, you know he enjoyed it as well. Have you heard, We're gonna meet up next week, kinda like a man date. You want to join??

Regardless of whether you agree with my sacasm or not, I make some very good points and have been around and studied enough to have a valid informed opinion. My main complaint with the poll all season was the legacy picks. You, or any other pollster can't deny that sometimes the picks on the poll, especially when you get beyond the obvious picks at the top, were picks of teams who were "supposed to be there," but not necessarily because of their current team but because they always have been or usually are. Unfortunately there hasn't been a long history of winning at Arlington or a consistent recent history with teams like Halls, Tennessee High, Science Hill, Independence, and Summit. Several of those teams deserved recognition throughout the season. And hate all you want but I'm not caving on the Soddy opinion--they're overrated and even with a legacy wild card entry into the dance wouldn't have made it past 2 rounds deep.

So like someone said earlier in the year, you can agree or disagree but at least we are talking about wrestling.

Edited by ObserverW
  • Upvote 1

I don't post much, last one for awhile. Not sure I understand your "legacy" picks. I know I look at what teams have guys returning from previous year, placers, etc. as the year progresses, results come in and things are adjusted, always fluid. You gotta beat someone to get attention. State or National level. That's how it works, at least for me. Just because a team qualifies for State Duals, that doesn't get that team ranked. Still, you gotta beat someone. No hating OW, I know your a Bros fan, at first some thought you were one of ours. We coaches put a lot of thought and effort into this vote, we take it seriously. Learned years ago you cannot win a discussion on this board. Good luck in Region 8. Introduce yourself when you get a chance. I've known y'all head coach for a long time...I am officially out.