Region 8

memphiswrestling171

Good call. I forgot about Young being a freshman because he's up at 152. My mind immediately goes toward the lighter weights when I think about that award. I also agree about the OW potentially going to 5 guys. Cannon, Cockman, Dawson, Phillips, and Moore will all be in contention for that one. Arlington has wrestled a much tougher schedule than Bartlett this season, but Cockman winning the Blackhorse was very impressive. He also beat some good kids at the CBHS Duals.

Spot on with this MT14...

FOY - Young is one of the most skilled wrestlers that has come into high school ranks in a while in this region.  He is my vote for Frosh of the Year.  

OW - tough one to call.  Cannon has been dominant at whatever weight he wrestled in the lineup. That is huge advantage for a team like Arlington that has had holes to fill with injuries and open slots. I would have loved to see him get to 106...that would have set up a nice battle with Horst from Beech.  Cockman is a workhorse.  He has beaten some good kids this season and his Blackhorse title proves that out.  Moore is also a stud, but I would give the nod to Dawson over Moore, simply because when those two have wrestled, Dawson has gotten the better of him.  All these boys are deserving.

Question for you guys: Who is most improved this year?

Edited by FlyingElvis

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on with this MT14...

FOY - Young is one of the most skilled wrestlers that has come into high school ranks in a while in this region.  He is my vote for Frosh of the Year.  

OW - tough one to call.  Cannon has been dominant at whatever weight he wrestled in the lineup. That is huge advantage for a team like Arlington that has had holes to fill with injuries and open slots. I would have loved to see him get to 106...that would have set up a nice battle with Horst from Beech.  Cockman is a workhorse.  He has beaten some good kids this season and his Blackhorse title proves that out.  Moore is also a stud, but I would give the nod to Dawson over Moore, simply because when those two have wrestled, Dawson has gotten the better of him.  All these boys are deserving.

Question for you guys: Who is most improved this year?

For most improved? You could make a case for O'Callaghan from Bartlett, Antcliffe/Metcalf from Arlington, or Johnson/John from Kingsbury. I've enjoyed watching O'Callaghan all season. He was extremely undersized last year, but he looks a lot tougher and stronger now. He's kept it close with some good kids, but he hasn't won a BIG match yet. I would probably give it to Metcalf from Arlington, purely because he has beaten some kids that were ranked highly. He placed 3rd at Blackhorse (only because he caught Healy in the semis, and that kid is a stud), he placed 2nd at the Brentwood GP West (losing to Boykin from Riverdale), and he beat two good kids at the duals last weekend in Demello from Indy and Champion from Tullahoma. 

I don't know much about the Memphis area, but Moore and Cannon both seem like legitimate picks for OW. As I've stated before, Moore is a beast! He is going to finish high next weekend for sure. Hicks is the only 182 I've personally seen that looks as good as Moore. Can't believe he isn't being talked about as one of the top, but he is definitely going to ruin some kids' weekends next week... And Cannon is dominant as well. Very slick! 113 is pretty loaded, but I see him landing in there right behind TJ and Bowers. He has looked better than Palmer to me... but I have said that about other kids that Palmer has then beaten. So we'll see. 113 is going to be a brawl state wide for sure!

Cockman also impressed me when I saw him at CBHS Duals.

Cannon is definitely a stud, but I don't know that I would say he has looked better than Palmer. They were in the same bracket at Black Horse this season. Palmer took 1st while Cannon took 4th. He was majored by 2 out of state wrestlers that Palmer beat. That don't mean he can't pull of the upset though. I just wouldn't say he has been better so far this year with Palmer having the results to back it up. I definitely think he is capable of reaching the podium though. It's just a matter of where he slides in behind those top 3. I guess we will find out next weekend.

Best of luck to Science Hill and all of Region 8!

I don't know much about the Memphis area, but Moore and Cannon both seem like legitimate picks for OW. As I've stated before, Moore is a beast! He is going to finish high next weekend for sure. Hicks is the only 182 I've personally seen that looks as good as Moore. Can't believe he isn't being talked about as one of the top, but he is definitely going to ruin some kids' weekends next week... And Cannon is dominant as well. Very slick! 113 is pretty loaded, but I see him landing in there right behind TJ and Bowers. He has looked better than Palmer to me... but I have said that about other kids that Palmer has then beaten. So we'll see. 113 is going to be a brawl state wide for sure!

Cockman also impressed me when I saw him at CBHS Duals.

KingGreene, Palmer is probably gonna throw a monkey wrench is everyone's 113 finals bt Bowers and Hicks. If I'm not mistaken, Palmer beat 2 different kids at the Blackhorse that both majored Cannon.

You all are probably correct on Palmer being the better wrestler and finishing higher next weekend. The facts you have provided definitely back that up. Cannon has looked dominant in the few matches I have seen him but haven't seen him in tough matches. Palmer is not as flashy as his slightly smaller training partner but almost always does exactly what he needs to do to win and is just so very solid. However, I still think TJ and Bowers will be the finalists. I think they are just at another level than the rest of the field. I watched Garrett handle both Palmer and Noah last year at Dixie Duals as just an 8th grader and no doubt he's improved tremendously with that Cleveland schedule.

113 is loaded this year! Dillon Pendley from TN will also be in the mix there.

You all are probably correct on Palmer being the better wrestler and finishing higher next weekend. The facts you have provided definitely back that up. Cannon has looked dominant in the few matches I have seen him but haven't seen him in tough matches. Palmer is not as flashy as his slightly smaller training partner but almost always does exactly what he needs to do to win and is just so very solid. However, I still think TJ and Bowers will be the finalists. I think they are just at another level than the rest of the field. I watched Garrett handle both Palmer and Noah last year at Dixie Duals as just an 8th grader and no doubt he's improved tremendously with that Cleveland schedule.

3rd to 5th placers will be fun to watch!

Yeah, Palmer got beat by 4 or so to Bowers at Dixie duals but Palmer also beat Bowers 8-0 abt 6 weeks later at the TN Iron man. That being said, they are BOTH OUTSTANDING wrestlers! 113 AAA will DEF be one of the best(if not the best) wgt classes to watch next weekend!!!

Here are the top 6 seeds at each weight class followed by a projected order of finish based on top 4 place winners if the seeds were to hold.  

106         1              O`Callaghan, Gabe           Bartlett

2              Nguyen, Andrew             Germantown

3              Becerra, Eric                   Houston

4              Schulz, Keegan                Munford

5              Pringle, Jacob                 Collierville

6              Lawson, Lavanuzier         Southwind

113         1              Cannon, Michael              Arlington

2              Artiles, Andrew                Collierville

3              Bowden, Mason               Houston

4              Koss, Kolin                      Bartlett

5              Gingrich, Victor                Munford

6              Wilde, Keaton  

120         1              Morgan, Caleb                    Arlington

2              Kimble, Justin                   Collierville

3              Bozarth, Matt                     Bartlett

4              Kinnear, Nate                    Houston

5              Garcia, Andy                     Cordova

6              Mitchell, Cameron              Bolton

126         1              Kerns, Luke                        Arlington

2              Briant, Jared                     Collierville

3              Spiecha, Tanner                Houston

4              Franklin, Kameron           Bartlett

5              Geiser, Gabe                   White Station

6              Ortiz, Alberto                    Kingsbury

132         1              Taylor, Jordan                   Cordova

2              Manuel, Jake                     Houston

3              Donahue, Justin               Arlington

4              Longo, Cody                    Bartlett

5              Milner, Darion                  Kingsbury

6              Taylor, Cody                    Brighton

138         1              Phillips, Harrison               Arlington

2              White, Camron                  Cordova

3              Fisher, Collins                   Houston

4              Huffstetler, Ben               Bartlett

5              Huffman, Jalen                 Munford

6              Love, Joshua                     Brighton

145         1              Cockman, Dalton              Bartlett

2              Johnson, Dontae              Kingsbury

3              Baudoin, Austin                Arlington

4              Branham, Justin                Houston

5              Howard, Dexter                Southwind

6              Young, Willie                  Germantown

152         1              Young, Cade                     Houston

2              Jackson, Christian            Southwind

3              Braswell, Antwaun          Germantown

4              Bowser, Michael              Memphis East

5              Worley, Josh                     Arlington

6              Mean, Kylen                    Kingsbury

160         1              Antcliffe, Austin                 Arlington

2              Dawson, Joseph               Houston

3              John, Ndayambaje            Kingsbury

4              Taylor, Kristopher            Bolton

5              Burke, Gavin                     Germantown

6              Jones, Michael                  Bartlett

170         1              Flemming, Luke                Houston

2              Watson, Corban               Germantown

3              Hale, Kevin                        Collierville

4              Lauko, Isaiah                    Bolton

5              Cole, Tony                         Southwind

6              McDonald, Justin              Bartlett

182         1              Moore, Aaron                      Arlington

2              Anderson, Tyler                Bolton

3              Lennassi, Luc                   Southwind

4              Longo, Tyler                      Bartlett

5              Holtz, Zach                         Houston

6              Fletcher, Gabrielle           Germantown

195         1              Johnson, Dawson              Bartlett

2              Scardino, Spencer            Collierville

3              Bush, Deamante              Cordova

4              Harris, Deion                     Houston

5              Barnes, Tyrique                Memphis East

6              Moore, Darius                    Bolton

220         1              Roaten, Alan                      Arlington

2              Cara, Trevor                    Bartlett

3              Martinez, Eladio               Kingsbury

4              Hope, Haidan                   Munford

5              Darling, Demear               Germantown

285         1              Metcalf, Johnthan              Arlington

2              Oliver, Cameron               Bartlett

3              Frankland, Kerry               Houston

4              Holcomb, Elijah                  Collierville

6              Joseph, Herman               Cordova

Team                                     pts

ARLINGTON                       222

HOUSTON                           203

BARTLETT                            167

COLLIERVILLE                     98

CORDOVA                           57

GERMANTOWN                    51

KINGSBURY                        48

BOLTON                               40

SOUTHWIND                      33

MUNFORD                          22

MEMPHIS EAST                 11

Edited by Nainten

Cannon and Palmer wrestled at the Blackhorse last year, with Palmer winning by major dec. I think Palmer is the better wrestler, but Cannon's cradle is so lethal that he can put anyone away if he gets it locked up tight. And I agree about Pendley. I watched him against Indy at the duals and he looked tough. 113 will be a battle indeed.

Edited by MemphisTiger14

Cannon and Palmer wrestled at the Blackhorse last year, with Palmer winning by major dec. I think Palmer is the better wrestler, but Cannon's cradle is so lethal that he can put anyone away if he gets it locked up tight. And I agree about Pendley. I watched him against Indy at the duals and he looked tough. 113 will be a battle indeed.

MT14, you read my mind.  Cannon is a pinner, and not just with the cradle.  I've watched him quite a bit this year and his top game is pretty sick.  If he can keep any of his matches tight with the top 3 (Bowers, Palmer, Hicks) in the first couple of periods, watch out.  His ability to turn guys is impressive and I can see it being the difference in the home stretch of the match.