Cleveland Basketball violates rules

Gr8bballfan

This will be a good game. I think our defense played a lot better this week. I dont rhink trezvant defense gave us fits. I think it was more so us. We dropped a lot of balls we were inside the 20 like 4 times the second half. We fumbled a ball inside the 5 yard line. Just imagine this we havent even played a complete game yet. I think this game will come down to the offensive line and d-line. Central really hasnt played anybody so we will see friday.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, NOMOSHOW said:

That's RIDICULOUS, you have got to be kidding. What 3 girls get to play for their coach. Who picks them? Those 3 would have the upper hand on the others "NOT FAIR". So the best 3 will play. You must be Clevelands head coach. No wonder they are in so much trouble. Keep the best forget the rest. Great policy. HS coaches have NO business in the AAU game. 

Great Point! Get them out completely! If you are TSSAA or TMSAA Coach or AD you should have nothing to do with AAU! So tell me if you Coach a HS team and then during Spring and Summer you Coach AAU at any age and you put time into kids I promise you they will try and get that kid to their school! 

5 hours ago, HurricanePride said:

From what I've read on here it was an employee at the school and not an actual coach that was coaching.  

From what I read on here no school employee can coach players from their school during the no practice time. Plus bringing in middle schoolers to play with them is even a bigger violation. Also hearing the school employee was the AD and a former girls basketball coach who was asked to do all this by the head girls coach Tony Williams. And it was done under his aau flagship called fast break . This is not hard to figure out. There is a reason tssaa says no school employee can do this. If you could coaches would have practice year around and invite all the best middle schoolers. Like i said before, if this was a private school the middle schoolers would be ineligible and tssaa would throw the book at them.

12 hours ago, whoop said:

From what I read on here no school employee can coach players from their school during the no practice time. Plus bringing in middle schoolers to play with them is even a bigger violation. Also hearing the school employee was the AD and a former girls basketball coach who was asked to do all this by the head girls coach Tony Williams. And it was done under his aau flagship called fast break . This is not hard to figure out. There is a reason tssaa says no school employee can do this. If you could coaches would have practice year around and invite all the best middle schoolers. Like i said before, if this was a private school the middle schoolers would be ineligible and tssaa would throw the book at them.

Wow, this ruling just opens the door for more coaches to do the same thing. No punishment really. High school coaches shouldnt be allowed to dictate where and when a kid should play. A good coach should want their kids to play anywhere not just where he says to. No way should he be allowed to coach any team other than his high school team. Ive been around a long time and i have seen this happen alot.

My point wasn't taken the way I meant for it to be taken. My point is that these kids (all kids) need good coaching. Fundamental coaching. Usually, high school coaches are high school coaches because they are good at what they do. I am saying that if they were allowed to coach AAU programs then it would help because the kids would be getting better coaching and therefore the game would be better in my opinion. 

Now, to address other issues such as recruiting. High school coaches all over the state of Tennessee are running middle school/elementary school programs. They are putting in a lot of work with a lot of kids (not just the kids that attend their own schools)...so to say that they would recruit them in 9-11 is naive. If they are recruiting, I promise it is being done at a much younger age than that! High school coaches are usually good coaches. That was my point. Therefore, them getting to coach the kids during travel ball would help kids be better players, thus improving their chances of playing at the next level and improving what it should be all about. THE KIDS.  (3 kids per team is not a good idea, I see your point. BUT...if they have kids from 4-5-6 etc different schools on their team and can't have one of their own??) 

I have no ties to Cleveland at all by the way. Just pointing out observations. There has to be a better way! Think about this....high school coaches are deeply involved in AAU programs, especially at the younger levels. BUT, at the big aau programs across the state, high school coaches ARE COACHING high school teams (but they CAN NOT have their own players on those teams). Think about that....they are allowed to coach other high schools' players, but can't coach their own. Completely legal, but makes no sense at all....am I the only one that sees it that way? 

4 hours ago, Play 4 Fun said:

My point wasn't taken the way I meant for it to be taken. My point is that these kids (all kids) need good coaching. Fundamental coaching. Usually, high school coaches are high school coaches because they are good at what they do. I am saying that if they were allowed to coach AAU programs then it would help because the kids would be getting better coaching and therefore the game would be better in my opinion. 

Now, to address other issues such as recruiting. High school coaches all over the state of Tennessee are running middle school/elementary school programs. They are putting in a lot of work with a lot of kids (not just the kids that attend their own schools)...so to say that they would recruit them in 9-11 is naive. If they are recruiting, I promise it is being done at a much younger age than that! High school coaches are usually good coaches. That was my point. Therefore, them getting to coach the kids during travel ball would help kids be better players, thus improving their chances of playing at the next level and improving what it should be all about. THE KIDS.  (3 kids per team is not a good idea, I see your point. BUT...if they have kids from 4-5-6 etc different schools on their team and can't have one of their own??) 

I have no ties to Cleveland at all by the way. Just pointing out observations. There has to be a better way! Think about this....high school coaches are deeply involved in AAU programs, especially at the younger levels. BUT, at the big aau programs across the state, high school coaches ARE COACHING high school teams (but they CAN NOT have their own players on those teams). Think about that....they are allowed to coach other high schools' players, but can't coach their own. Completely legal, but makes no sense at all....am I the only one that sees it that way? 

These HS Coaches you are referring to that can do so much for kids can still do it! They can have camps and clinics but actually Coaching AAU at any grade is such a temptation! If a Coach is at HS A and she Coaches in a big AAU program in grades 9-11 obviously she/he cant Coach their own players! But a player they Coach is unhappy at HS B! And that kids parents ask about transferring what do you think that Coach is going to say? Lets not be naive they are going to recruit! Simple solution to TSSAA let HS Coaches coach HS and AAU Coaches Coach AAU! Easy to police that way and no slippery slopes!

On 8/28/2017 at 9:31 AM, HurricanePride said:

From what I'm hearing, Cleveland self reported the violation and the following sanctions have been imposed.  No open facilities for 30 days this fall. This includes conditioning, weight training, and coaches working with players.  So basically a 1 month dead period.  CHS will also give up two preseason scrimmages.  Furthermore they cannot have spring practice in 2018.  Looks like TSSAA dropped the hammer.

So what you're saying is, Cleveland's head coach asks the assistant AD to coach a team in his own AAU organization, with a middle school coach as an assistant coach, that has both high school and middle school students on it, and you think the TSSAA dropped the hammer on them? So they are giving up practice time for open facilities, that some if not a majority of the teams in the state do not use anyways? Besides, two preseason scrimmages to go with it? Seems light. No spring practice in 2018? I mean if you can recruit 8th graders and mix them in their high schoolers, and let them into their facilities, and push your school on them, it would almost be worth it. I have seen the TSSAA declare athletes ineligible for less. Cleveland must have caught the TSSAA in a good mood when they self reported and got lucky. Better watch out though, the punishment might not be as light next time.

32 minutes ago, tacosaregreat said:

So what you're saying is, Cleveland's head coach asks the assistant AD to coach a team in his own AAU organization, with a middle school coach as an assistant coach, that has both high school and middle school students on it, and you think the TSSAA dropped the hammer on them? So they are giving up practice time for open facilities, that some if not a majority of the teams in the state do not use anyways? Besides, two preseason scrimmages to go with it? Seems light. No spring practice in 2018? I mean if you can recruit 8th graders and mix them in their high schoolers, and let them into their facilities, and push your school on them, it would almost be worth it. I have seen the TSSAA declare athletes ineligible for less. Cleveland must have caught the TSSAA in a good mood when they self reported and got lucky. Better watch out though, the punishment might not be as light next time.

This maybe the new model that every program that wants to get in extra practice and recruit the best middle schoolers goes by! Plus getting your AD involved is a genius ideal. Takes the pressure off the head coach and puts it on the administration .

I don't know though, it really puts all the pressure on the coach. It sounds like he was directing the whole thing and he got everyone involved. So now everyone involved in it is looking at him. If TSSAA had came down on them then possibly all the freshman wouldn't have got to play. Then all the freshman parents would have went crazy on him. Could have cost him and a couple more their job after barely a year. Cleveland dodged a big bullet, sounds like. Now the EYE is on them. Only 1 team in Bradley County can get away with it and it ain't Cleveland or Walker Valley. 

3 hours ago, NOMOSHOW said:

I don't know though, it really puts all the pressure on the coach. It sounds like he was directing the whole thing and he got everyone involved. So now everyone involved in it is looking at him. If TSSAA had came down on them then possibly all the freshman wouldn't have got to play. Then all the freshman parents would have went crazy on him. Could have cost him and a couple more their job after barely a year. Cleveland dodged a big bullet, sounds like. Now the EYE is on them. Only 1 team in Bradley County can get away with it and it ain't Cleveland or Walker Valley. 

First smart comment of the whole thread possibly...haha. 

On 9/1/2017 at 6:15 AM, NOMOSHOW said:

Word on the street is Cleveland did not tell the whole story to TSSAA. Might have left the middle schoolers out of their self report. 

On 9/2/2017 at 1:37 PM, whoop said:

Word on the street is Cleveland did not tell the whole story to TSSAA. Might have left the middle schoolers out of their self report. 

Something had to be up then. Cause if the whole truth was told then the punishment would have been worse. I still don't understand how you can play middle schoolers and high schoolers together on the same team and not get punished at all. Some of the truth had to have been left out.