Ensworth at Webb

Spartan4Life

I predicted Ensworth as a state champion this year. I am leaning more to BA after seeing the results after the first two weeks. 

Can Webb keep it close with a very big talented Ensworth team? I'm still shocked to see they lost to CPA. Is CPA that good? Regardless we've got our work cut out for us. 

Thoughts on this matchup? 

I haven't seen the box score, but Ensworth had many turnovers and penalties which hurt them. The missed extra point in OT was another critical mistake. I'd say Ensworth won the line of scrimmage but did not dominate it. CPA was very competitive and much improved from 2016 and may have surprised Ensworth after losing last year 43-0. 

Ensworth has a strong running game and a couple excellent receivers and probably won the stats, but not by much. Very talented like usual  

I wouldn't say that CPA played their best game either.  They didn't score from inside Ensworth's 5 Yd line on 1st down and turned it over on the six inch line (same series). 

I suspect it won't be a fun week at practice and that Bowers will find a way to clean up the mistakes against Webb. It should be a good game. 

19 minutes ago, coachrus said:

I haven't seen the box score, but Ensworth had many turnovers and penalties which hurt them. The missed extra point in OT was another critical mistake. I'd say Ensworth won the line of scrimmage but did not dominate it. CPA was very competitive and much improved from 2016 and may have surprised Ensworth after losing last year 43-0. 

Ensworth has a strong running game and a couple excellent receivers and probably won the stats, but not by much. Very talented like usual  

I wouldn't say that CPA played their best game either.  They didn't score from inside Ensworth's 5 Yd line on 1st down and turned it over on the six inch line (same series). 

I suspect it won't be a fun week at practice and that Bowers will find a way to clean up the mistakes against Webb. It should be a good game. 

I thought we scored 3 times on that first drive but came away with 0 points like you said and I thought that would haunt us at the end. Since you saw it online, did #4 step out of bounds on the 20-30 yard run that got CPA down to the 1?

I think Ensworth might have turned the ball over 4-5 times, but I felt the CPA defense looked great was a big part of those turnovers. 

#7 and #23 on Ensworth are scary good.  A couple of key CPA players missed considerable time in the second half but I think it was cramping and nothing that should linger.  

I know Coach Martin has the mindset that last night was just a game like any other, but it's got to be pretty special to win against your former coach. 

You cannot beat a good football team with five turnovers. Those turnovers kept CPA alive in last Friday's game.

Looking at Webb v Ashville film,.. CPA is bigger than Webb upfront and maybe a bit faster. Then again, it was Webb's first game I believe....

This week at the E the focus is on LITTLE THINGS. If Ensworth plays focused this week, Webb could be made an example of. I'm hoping for a great injury free game out of both teams.

13 minutes ago, SundayRivers said:

You cannot beat a good football team with five turnovers. Those turnovers kept CPA alive in last Friday's game.

Looking at Webb v Ashville film,.. CPA is bigger than Webb upfront and maybe a bit faster. Then again, it was Webb's first game I believe....

This week at the E the focus is on LITTLE THINGS. If Ensworth plays focused this week, Webb could be made an example of. I'm hoping for a great injury free game out of both teams.

I've not ever thought Webb would win this game. If we can stay healthy through this game I do think we have a chance to play with McCallie the following week. 

3 hours ago, SundayRivers said:

Similarly, I thought CPA had missed their chance (you don't get many against elite teams) by not scoring from the 1 and inside the 20 on their first two possessions...

Ensworth is packed with athletes that are fun to watch and I'm sure they will be in the thick of things at the end of the year. 

On 8/29/2017 at 7:59 AM, SundayRivers said:

No way CPA is faster. Webb has speed unlike few TN HS teams.

This game was more competitive than the final score indicates. Webb trailer 21-14 with a chance to tie with 8 minutes left in the fourth. Ensworth stops them on downs and adds two late scores on a gassed and banged up Webb team. Final 35-14.  

Biggest news of the day is Webb played the entire game without the most talented kid on the field. Elijah Howard pulled his hamstring on the second play of the game and missed the entire game. Would have really liked to see this game with Webb's best player on the field. But that's football. I like where we are. I think we will compete for a gold ball as long as we stay healthy. 

Hopefull Howard will be good to go next week against another power in McCallie.