AC vs. CC

MAVERICK1995

16 hours ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Great Win Mavericks! Another huge victory 47-0 !!!! And good job Defense!!!

Fox43 any updates on how this game went would be appreciated!!! 

The atmosphere was dead! There is no other way to put it. The Mavs brought almost as many fans as Chattanooga Central, and it was their Senior Night. Neither side had a band present which made it a great environment for the players to hear the coaches as they called in plays and made adjustments. For the fans, it lacked energy and was more like watching a practice. The band needs to show up period! Everyone feeds and performs on that added energy! 

The Mavericks started out a little slow. Stanton was throwing hot over the heads of his receivers in the beginning. Upon adjusting, he was throwing into the dirt. This was very uncharacteristic of him. The run game kept the 1st drives alive and Stanton found his rhythm for the rest of the game permorming beautifully. He also managed to pull off some big runs and key 1st downs on a few broken plays where coverage was good and the CC line penetrated.

The score is a clear indicator that the Mavericks dominated the game but doesn't give the true perspective. Two touchdowns were called back for questionable penalties. Phillips ripped off a huge run and took it to the house, breaking 5 tackles before finding the open field (called back for a hold). Gallaher muscled some big runs dragging half the defense on 3rd and 7 multiple times to keep the drives alive. As usual, the passing game was spread all over with several long pass completions (1 called back for an ineligible receiver downfield). The receivers were adequate this week but a bit sloppy with several dropped balls or not getting to the spot on the route.

The AC defense was in a race to acquire as many yards as our offense by tackling Chattanooga Central for many big losses in the backfield. I had heard rumor that Central had a beast running back but he didn't show up. Their Quarterback likely had the most rushing yards with two decent broken plays that he tucked and ran for about 15 yards each. Otherwise it was generally 3 and out or one 1st down and done all night.

Special teams coverage was awesome all night until the final minutes of the 4th quarter when the game was in the bag and the Mavs got sloppy. That return came to our 48 yard line. The Pounders couldn't make it to the 20 yard line all night except for once when they reached the 22 and the final return. Starting field position for CC was about the 17 yard line avg.

My take away from this game was that while the competition was lacking, the Mavericks have the talent and ability to go deep and possibly all the way if they can tighten up. The teams in the playoffs won't be forgiving or allow do-overs if mistakes are made , and the players slack on any plays. The talent and coaching is clearly in place. Gaining home field advantage for the playoffs will go a long way to build that intensity, but the team has to bring that intensity on the road at the deeper levels. The Mavs earn a B- minus in my personal rating of this game with mostly solid play, a little intensity missing, and slight lack of focus due to the level of competition combined with atmosphere. It's hard to maintain some of these things without a true test. That's as honest as I can be agreeable or not.

Edited by Foxman43

1 hour ago, Mavericksinflight said:

It may be a rebuilding year and next year might be there year. 

Once again. Chattanooga Central has been awful until 2nd year head coach Cortney Braswell took over. 2015 they were 0-10. This is not a rebuilding year, that was last year. This is let's go compete against everyone we play year. which AC is the first time Chatt Central has not competed against. Once again Central should finish 7-3 which is a huge turnaround from 2015. 

58 minutes ago, Foxman43 said:

The atmosphere was dead! There is no other way to put it. The Mavs brought almost as many fans as Chattanooga Central, and it was their Senior Night. Neither side had a band present which made it a great environment for the players to hear the coaches as they called in plays and made adjustments. For the fans, it lacked energy and was more like watching a practice. The band needs to show up period! Everyone feeds and performs on that added energy! 

The Mavericks started out a little slow. Stanton was throwing hot over the heads of his receivers in the beginning. Upon adjusting, he was throwing into the dirt. This was very uncharacteristic of him. The run game kept the 1st drives alive and Stanton found his rhythm for the rest of the game permorming beautifully. He also managed to pull off some big runs and key 1st downs on a few broken plays where coverage was good and the CC line penetrated.

The score is a clear indicator that the Mavericks dominated the game but doesn't give the true perspective. Two touchdowns were called back for questionable penalties. Phillips ripped off a huge run and took it to the house, breaking 5 tackles before finding the open field (called back for a hold). Gallaher muscled some big runs dragging half the defense on 3rd and 7 multiple times to keep the drives alive. As usual, the passing game was spread all over with several long pass completions (1 called back for an ineligible receiver downfield). The receivers were adequate this week but a bit sloppy with several dropped balls or not getting to the spot on the route.

The AC defense was in a race to acquire as many yards as our offense by tackling Chattanooga Central for many big losses in the backfield. I had heard rumor that Central had a beast running back but he didn't show up. Their Quarterback likely had the most rushing yards with two decent broken plays that he tucked and ran for about 15 yards each. Otherwise it was generally 3 and out or one 1st down and done all night.

Special teams coverage was awesome all night until the final minutes of the 4th quarter when the game was in the bag and the Mavs got sloppy. That return came to our 48 yard line. The Pounders couldn't make it to the 20 yard line all night except for once when they reached the 22 and the final return. Starting field position for CC was about the 17 yard line avg.

My take away from this game was that while the competition was lacking, the Mavericks have the talent and ability to go deep and possibly all the way if they can tighten up. The teams in the playoffs won't be forgiving or allow do-overs if mistakes are made , and the players slack on any plays. The talent and coaching is clearly in place. Gaining home field advantage for the playoffs will go a long way to build that intensity, but the team has to bring that intensity on the road at the deeper levels. The Mavs earn a B- minus in my personal rating of this game with mostly solid play, a little intensity missing, and slight lack of focus due to the level of competition combined with atmosphere. It's hard to maintain some of these things without a true test. That's as honest as I can be agreeable or not.

Greeneville will have Homefield advantage all the way to Cookeville. So AC would have to come to us IF they can make it that far

6 hours ago, Foxman43 said:

Oh that is about as good as it gets ! Great update. Your correct they need a band too! Thanks Fox43!!!!!

14 hours ago, DevilMan03 said:

Odd regions turn to host. 

Evens hosted last year. 

Thats what made Greeneville vs Betsy game lastnight even more important. We will be home until cookeville. Big advantage 

I think they should make an exception this year LOL :) like flipping a coin something or like if a team was host last year then not this year since they hosted last year. But that of course would be up to TSSAA!

15 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

I think they should make an exception this year LOL :) like flipping a coin something or like if a team was host last year then not this year since they hosted last year. But that of course would be up to TSSAA!

I see what your saying. I wouldn’t want to play Greeneville @ Greeneville off I was you either. 

But IF you make it past Elizabethton we will be nice and hold the door open for AC on their way to the basketball court after we beat them. 

27 minutes ago, DevilMan03 said:

I see what your saying. I wouldn’t want to play Greeneville @ Greeneville off I was you either. 

But IF you make it past Elizabethton we will be nice and hold the door open for AC on their way to the basketball court after we beat them. 

Edited by Mavericksinflight

25 minutes ago, DevilMan03 said:

The Mavs are awesome this year! I understand you guys had some trouble with Betsy. Let me assure you we are no Betsy.