3/4 Seeds @ Districts, Regions and Beyond

hig71798

Now, I can only speak for DII, A--but the fact that the 3 and 4 seeds advance to Regionals and the first round of State is nothing but sheer greed on the part of T$$AA.  The second round of State ended today, and not one 3 or 4 seed was even close to beating a 1 or a 2.  In fact, those teams scored a grand total of 2 goals in eight first/second round State games.  There is no need for those consulation games.  When you can lose 4 games in the post season and still make the state tourney, that's a problem.  (Lose District semi, District consulation, Region semi and Region consulation).  

Would love to hear comparisons from other divisions. 

Thanks

The West Region in DII-A is doing it right.  They only have a region tournament with seeding based on the regular season results.  This is really the way to do this as it reduces the wear and fatigue on the athletes after a long season.  All teams are included in the region tournament, the top teams from each district get byes straight into the region quarterfinals and the teams which emerge from the region have less matches to play.

As for the TSSAA in all of this, the only thing they mandate is that each of the three DII-A Regions have their top 4 teams.  Each region (which are each comprised of two districts) can have these four teams in any manner they choose.  The West Region has chosen to do this with a region only tournament.

Really hoping both the Middle and East Regions follow suit.

22 hours ago, hig71798 said:

Now, I can only speak for DII, A--but the fact that the 3 and 4 seeds advance to Regionals and the first round of State is nothing but sheer greed on the part of T$$AA.  The second round of State ended today, and not one 3 or 4 seed was even close to beating a 1 or a 2.  In fact, those teams scored a grand total of 2 goals in eight first/second round State games.  There is no need for those consulation games.  When you can lose 4 games in the post season and still make the state tourney, that's a problem.  (Lose District semi, District consulation, Region semi and Region consulation).  

Would love to hear comparisons from other divisions. 

Thanks

First round 4 goals were scored. Not sure about the 2nd? 

Kids want to play. It does create a few more games but who cares? To me the advantage goes to the deeper teams due to injury, fatigue, etc... Smaller rostered schools (re takent) are clearly at a disadvantage but the kids all want to keep going.

Heck, how many teams in A/AA over the years made it to Murfreesboro? Meaning how many teams made it? Four? Eight?

Oir team was a four and had a chance last year to win and had an injury to our Sr centerback when the score was 2-1 then the dam broke. This year we struggled defensively but applied an attack that gave CAK concern. It was fun to watch. 

I don't see anything wrong with it. I like watching favorites game plan against weaker teams because even the 3/4 can be dangerous. It's high school so the entertainment value is great.

Edited by Playerscoach

First two rounds of 'state'

St George's--Bye

CAK 5 - DCA 1

CPA--Bye

USJ 1 - ND 3

CCS--Bye

USN 6 - FACS 0

ECS--Bye

Knox Grace 1 - BGA 0

of the second round games, only the CCS USN game had the losing team score a goal, so there were 3 goals scored by the losing teams, not 2.  If there were 4 goals scored in the first round, the posted scores must be wrong.  Out of those 8 games, only the CCS UNS game looked to be a good game.  

1 hour ago, hig71798 said:

First two rounds of 'state'

St George's--Bye

CAK 5 - DCA 1

CPA--Bye

USJ 1 - ND 3

CCS--Bye

USN 6 - FACS 0

ECS--Bye

Knox Grace 1 - BGA 0

of the second round games, only the CCS USN game had the losing team score a goal, so there were 3 goals scored by the losing teams, not 2.  If there were 4 goals scored in the first round, the posted scores must be wrong.  Out of those 8 games, only the CCS UNS game looked to be a good game.  

#3 ND scored 3 and #4 DCA 1 for a total of 4. I thought DCAs game was very entertaining even though there were some early lapses that caused goals. CAK man marked and had two outside backs play more central and played a CB 25 yards behind the CF to keep from getting scored on. It was fun to watch them scramble to keep from getting scored on.

Like I said before it's high school, kids want to play the games. I see no harm in it.

Edited by Playerscoach