Exciting Soccer Season

AlcoaDad

AD.....congratulations to your girl's team.  I felt Alcoa would be the strongest team coming into the tournament and by winning you confirmed my suspicions.  Some other things that I felt never seemed to materialize.  The A division did not feel "watered down".....to me it felt like competitively things were somewhat more balanced.  Sure, you are always going to have a favorite going into the State, but my feeling was, on a given day, any of the teams could have challenged for it.  Taking nothing away from what Alcoa DID accomplish.  I believe the whole thing is in a better position than it was when we were all haggling over the private/public issues that have gone on for years.  The reason it was an issue is clearly operating under different parameters and gaining some advantages over others.  I wouldn't argue with me while shining all those gold trophies.....you know who you are.  No whining now....good season everyone.

Kaz  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazam37 said:

AD.....congratulations to your girl's team.  I felt Alcoa would be the strongest team coming into the tournament and by winning you confirmed my suspicions.  Some other things that I felt never seemed to materialize.  The A division did not feel "watered down".....to me it felt like competitively things were somewhat more balanced.  Sure, you are always going to have a favorite going into the State, but my feeling was, on a given day, any of the teams could have challenged for it.  Taking nothing away from what Alcoa DID accomplish.  I believe the whole thing is in a better position than it was when we were all haggling over the private/public issues that have gone on for years.  The reason it was an issue is clearly operating under different parameters and gaining some advantages over others.  I wouldn't argue with me while shining all those gold trophies.....you know who you are.  No whining now....good season everyone.

Kaz  

Hi Kaz:

Thank you for the kind words regarding Alcoa. I appreciate it. I am pretty much with you in thinking that "A" seemed very balanced to me. Like in every district, there will be some haves and some have-nots. I think "A" is where a couple of good players can make more difference then in the larger classifications. Student population size is really a big deal. The key is to really "coach up" the marginal players so they are steady and consistent. 

I thought the level of the state tournament was also very good. A break here or there and some other school would have been where we were in the finals. I really did not know if there was a favorite going in as there were so many unknowns. I think that added excitement. It will be interesting over the next few years to see what programs are consistent and are in the hunt year after year. 

:motorbike:

• Like 1