Boyd @ CAK

BoydBucFan

5 hours ago, JohnnyRadcliff said:

Looks like another Buc tryin' to jump ship off to Booger's Catlicks. I reckon you get a conversion discount over there at the 3rd street duck and dodge. Why dont you Buc fellers just get you a real coach that dont have to fall into your religious views... Just like ND did. 

There may be some splashes below the plank coming soon.

Maybe...just maybe

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, BoydBucFan said:

The play call has been puke all year, even last year. I don't understand. Slant, screen, split the safeties with a streak?!?  None of that happened. It's a definite head scratcher for me!!  Oh well, if my youngest gets the same opportunity as my older ones did we may jump ship. Mediocrity isn't my bag.

As an outside observer watching Boyd Buchanan's coaching/playcalling, it was kind of baffling at times.  Some of the fundamental stuff, in my opinion, the BB players did quite well.  For example, they were consistently good tacklers, so they're getting some good coaching on fundamentals. 

But in terms of scheme, the offense was pretty predictable.  The passing game is not very well developed or diverse (which is often the case with teams running the Wing T).  And it almost looked like the BB coaches might not have watched much film of CAK.  For example, they kept trying to run the toss sweep right at CAK #9.  Also, I thought BB #1 was underutilized on offense.  Just my opinion.  I'd line him up at FB and run him up the middle and try to keep the sticks moving and set up some play action passing.

Defensively, BB did something the CAK coaches weren't expecting based on previous game film--OLB blitz...sometimes with a stunt into the B gap.  That wrinkle surprised CAK a little; but the Bucs weren't able to get any sustained, consistent pressure to pin the QB in the pocket so the gamble didn't pay off in the end.

19 minutes ago, Warriors2011 said:

As an outside observer watching Boyd Buchanan's coaching/playcalling, it was kind of baffling at times.  Some of the fundamental stuff, in my opinion, the BB players did quite well.  For example, they were consistently good tacklers, so they're getting some good coaching on fundamentals. 

But in terms of scheme, the offense was pretty predictable.  The passing game is not very well developed or diverse (which is often the case with teams running the Wing T).  And it almost looked like the BB coaches might not have watched much film of CAK.  For example, they kept trying to run the toss sweep right at CAK #9.  Also, I thought BB #1 was underutilized on offense.  Just my opinion.  I'd line him up at FB and run him up the middle and try to keep the sticks moving and set up some play action passing.

Defensively, BB did something the CAK coaches weren't expecting based on previous game film--OLB blitz...sometimes with a stunt into the B gap.  That wrinkle surprised CAK a little; but the Bucs weren't able to get any sustained, consistent pressure to pin the QB in the pocket so the gamble didn't pay off in the end.

Yeah, your qb would often throw in the flat vacated by the blitzing OLB.  I agree with your every point.  Our qb, in his defense, just started playing the position this year.  He is a good athlete but the play calling often did not put him, and the team,  in a position to have much success.  We dropped back in shotgun, with an empty set, against CCS and were able to move the ball, but that was the only game we utilized that formation.  It seems like three and out was the only offensive consistency we had all year.  I sure hope they get things figured out quick.

Edited by BoydBucFan

1 minute ago, BoydBucFan said:

Yeah, your qb would often throw in the flat vacated by the blitzing OLB.  I agree with your every point.  Our qb, in his defense, just started playing the position this year.  He is a good athlete but the play calling often did not put him, and the team,  in a position to have much success.  We dropped back in shotgun against CCS and were able to move the ball, but that was the only game we utilized that formation.  It seems like three and out was the only offensive consistency we had all year.  I sure hope they get things figured out quick.

BB QB was a very good athlete and faster than I expected.  It's critical to have plays/game plans that are geared to the strengths of the personnel you actually have on a team, rather than having a predetermined system that you don't vary from even if you don't have the ideal personnel to run that system.  Gotta call plays that give your guys the best chance to succeed based on their respective strengths.  CAK struggled with that at times this year but has made good progress in the latter part of the season in that regard.

5 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

Did Boyd go to the WingT later this season? I saw them in August and they were all option. It wasn't WingT. Just curious if they changed offenses. 

They did run some option against CAK (out of the Wing T formation).  In fact, their best offensive play of the game was an option where CAK's OLB took the pitch man but nobody challenged the QB and he took it to the house.

9 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

Did Boyd go to the WingT later this season? I saw them in August and they were all option. It wasn't WingT. Just curious if they changed offenses. 

Yes.  We changed this year to the T.  I don't think it suits our personnel.  We did go shotgun, empty set against CCS several times and had some success.   That was the only game we did that for some reason.

1 minute ago, BoydBucFan said:

Yes.  We changed this year to the T.  I don't think it suits our personnel.  We did go shotgun, empty set against CCS several times and had some success.   That was the only game we did that for some reason.

You weren't in WingT vs South Pittsburg. Yes, your offensive formation looked like an SP WingT formation, but all I saw that game was option things. 

3 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

You weren't in WingT vs South Pittsburg. Yes, your offensive formation looked like an SP WingT formation, but all I saw that game was option things. 

We've used the T formation all year and yes we have run a lot of option read out of it.  I assume the coaching staff did not want to show much the first two weeks against you and Whitwell.  The true T came after that.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:30 PM, Spartan4Life said:

I saw Boyd play against Whitwell in the opener. I thought the same thing. Why are these play calls so vanilla and predictable. Why isn't Kohl touching the ball more. I mean it just seemed like bad play call/design to me.

Yea we have some athletes and good skill players but the coach never put them all on the field together. Plus its hard to win when you only run 3 - 5 plays consistently. I feel like a lot of our injuries were because of how predictable we were! We even had kids quit because of this. They never tried to mix things up the whole year.

7 hours ago, Bailey0502 said:

Yea we have some athletes and good skill players but the coach never put them all on the field together. Plus its hard to win when you only run 3 - 5 plays consistently. I feel like a lot of our injuries were because of how predictable we were! We even had kids quit because of this. They never tried to mix things up the whole year.

Spot on.

I'm curious to see if there is going to be a mix up on the staff. Something just isn't right. I know of a couple of times some players met with some of the staff to offer and ask for some changes but never got an opportunity to even try the changes presented. It's frustrating for players to KNOW that they can be a better team if a few changes are made. 

8 hours ago, Bailey0502 said:

I believe there is going to be more to quit if things stay the same. That's sad considering how things were just a few years ago. But we never got out coached ( I believe that was the phrase that was used ) many times this year.