East vs Blackman 1st round. Who you got?

nebuntyn

3 hours ago, BigOrangeBaller said:

Just hate seeing what probably should be a title game played in the first round because of that stupid draw that the state does. Looked like it actually got it right yesterday in the AAA girls bracket, but probably not even close in the single A. Wish there was a better system to decide match ups instead of a blind draw. 

Well, Bearden could feel the same way as Blackman. If they win their 1st round, them they face the East/Blackman winner. It is what it is. 

You could also look at it like this ... all year long the talk has been East, East, East. Now ... Blackman get's it shot to compete against them. Should East and Bearden win their 1st round games, the Bearden will get their shot. 

Either way ... you are going to have to play against very good teams to get to the championship game, regardless of what side of the braket you happen to be on. But I can't front either ... I'm so happy Whitehaven is on the opposite side of East!

4 hours ago, kwc said:

Well, Bearden could feel the same way as Blackman. If they win their 1st round, them they face the East/Blackman winner. It is what it is. 

You could also look at it like this ... all year long the talk has been East, East, East. Now ... Blackman get's it shot to compete against them. Should East and Bearden win their 1st round games, the Bearden will get their shot. 

Either way ... you are going to have to play against very good teams to get to the championship game, regardless of what side of the braket you happen to be on. But I can't front either ... I'm so happy Whitehaven is on the opposite side of East!

I don't think Blackman has been saying "bring on East? I don't think they are intimidated by them but they certainly respect them. I think you are right in that regardless of who wins this game Bearden has to feel like their second game is the battle for them. Giving credit to Bearden  they are talented, I just don't know if they will be as physical as East or as fast as Blackman.... Good luck to your Tigers... They should win against Powell and Riverdale will give them a good match up. 

15 hours ago, Blaze45 said:

I don't think Blackman has been saying "bring on East? I don't think they are intimidated by them but they certainly respect them. I think you are right in that regardless of who wins this game Bearden has to feel like their second game is the battle for them. Giving credit to Bearden  they are talented, I just don't know if they will be as physical as East or as fast as Blackman.... Good luck to your Tigers... They should win against Powell and Riverdale will give them a good match up. 

I don't think Blackman has been saying that either. I was just trying to show how Bearden could feel about being in the same bracket with East, in comparison to people thinking that the East/Blackman 1st round match-up seems to be unfortunate that it's heppening in the 1st round. That's all I was trying ro say with that.

Whitehaven and Riverdale have to get there first, but I understand your sentiment. I hope Whitehaven beats Powell and advances. I personally think they can make it to the championship game. That would be awesome! However, you know the cliche' ... "That's why they play the games".

Edited by kwc

On 3/8/2018 at 10:11 AM, BigOrangeBaller said:

Just hate seeing what probably should be a title game played in the first round because of that stupid draw that the state does. Looked like it actually got it right yesterday in the AAA girls bracket, but probably not even close in the single A. Wish there was a better system to decide match ups instead of a blind draw. 

completely agree

23 hours ago, OldSportsGuy said:

We have to seed this state tournament some way or another. At least the top 2. But, on the other hand someone else at least gets a chance to be in the Championship game.

I know that they do it in the NCAA. I know they do it in professional tennis. In tennis they have a ranking system that is a year round evaluation of tournaments played, year after year after year. It still has its flaws. The NCAA uses rating index numbers such as RPI and other indicators, along with polls, and then there is a committee that is put together from non partisan participants that select the teams and the seeding. That is still scrutinized and argued.

I said that to say this, there is no way for the TSSAA to put together that type of data base, program, and personnell to do something like this. Where do they find non partisan people to select the teams and seeds?

Personally, I don't want any part of that. Let them continue to select them how they do, and let the chips fall where they may. I will take that any day of the week over a selection committee deciding who desereves to be the 1 seed, 2 seed and etcetera. Too much room for bias to creep in. I don't trust folk to do it fairly. I'd much rather it turn out like it did then to have some yahoo say that team 1 is more deserving over team 2 any day of the week. I don't trust folks enough. Remove any chance of bias to creep in. That's what the current system has in place. That is why they use it.

I don't care if two undefeated teams play against each other in the first round. I don't care one bit. I do care if some team may apear to get prefferential treatment. With selection committees, there is a possiblility that bias plays a part of seeding and what not.

NOPE. Keep it as it is!

Edited by kwc
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kwc said:

I know that they do it in the NCAA. I know they do it in professional tennis. In tennis they have a ranking system that is a year round evaluation of tournaments played, year after year after year. It still has its flaws. The NCAA uses rating index numbers such as RPI and other indicators, along with polls, and then there is a committee that is put together from non partisan participants that select the teams and the seeding. That is still scrutinized and argued.

I said that to say this, there is no way for the TSSAA to put together that type of data base, program, and personnell to do something like this. Where do they find non partisan people to select the teams and seeds?

Personally, I don't want any part of that. Let them continue to select them how they do, and let the chips fall where they may. I will take that any day of the week over a selection committee deciding who desereves to be the 1 seed, 2 seed and etcetera. Too much room for bias to creep in. I don't trust folk to do it fairly. I'd much rather it turn out like it did then to have some yahoo say that team 1 is more deserving over team 2 any day of the week. I don't trust folks enough. Remove any chance of bias to creep in. That's what the current system has in place. That is why they use it.

I don't care if two undefeated teams play against each other in the first round. I don't care one bit. I do care if some team may apear to get prefferential treatment. With selection committees, there is a possiblility that bias plays a part of seeding and what not.

NOPE. Keep it as it is!

good points for sure.

What about a strength of schedule formula with no committee?

13 minutes ago, OldSportsGuy said:

good points for sure.

What about a strength of schedule formula with no committee?

How do you weigh schedules though? Teams tend not to play similar schedules across the state. I would weigh a team who played a Memphis schedule with 6 losses over a team who was undefeated in Knoxville area. That’s my bias though. And I’m sure that everyone has one. Blind draw eliminates the biases that people have for the teams close by.

41 minutes ago, toinemac said:

How do you weigh schedules though? Teams tend not to play similar schedules across the state. I would weigh a team who played a Memphis schedule with 6 losses over a team who was undefeated in Knoxville area. That’s my bias though. And I’m sure that everyone has one. Blind draw eliminates the biases that people have for the teams close by.

That is a very precise AND honest answer. Someone has to assess value to the schedule. Someone has to rate the opponents on the schedule. Those ratings will not be consistent because there is no way to quantify how good they really are compared to another region's set of teams. Then ... how do you rate the early season Turkey day and Christmas tournament teams? I know East went to the prestigious City of Palms classic in Florida, where they lost in the finals to a prep school. Other then that ... how do you rate them? How do you rate the competition on them? There really is no way to assess value to one team's schedule over another team schedule and be consistent. Regional bias will come into play, regardless of how you try to avoid it. What else do they have to go on?

Just look at the variables that have to be considered:

1) What classification do they play in?

2) What district do they play in?

3) How competitive are the other team in that district?

4) How competitive are their non-district opponents?

5) What non-district teams did they play?

6) What classification did their non-district team play in?

Those are just a few of MANY ... and with that, you still won't know how one district rates against another district ... after it is all said and done.

Edited by kwc