Cordova at Whitehaven, Week 3

kwc

3 hours ago, eastMustang said:

coach10ac, you are correct. Coach and everybody else is baffled that TSSAA's final ruling was to make those 3 kids ineligible. They did everything they were supposed to. They filed the hardship and even got a letter from East's Executive Principal saying they were in good standing and the move was NOT for athletic reasons. They still made those kids ineligible under the coaching link. Otherwise, they would be eligible, like the other 12 kids that left the overall bad situation at East. They are clearly not about the kids. Justin Lynn was at Cordova before coach even got the job. So that is a double whammy for that kid. Believe me, they are a different offense with that kid pulling the trigger.

It is mystifying that kids from Kingbury are eligible to play at East under the same situation with a coaching link present. Cordova is asking how that can be and their kids are not. 

I didn't know any of this. This is the first I've heard about the transfer issue with the young men. From what you've said EastMustang, it appears that TSSAA isn't applying the new rule systemactically. The thing with the TSSAA is they don't disclose to the public HOW they arrived at their decisions. They go in the back room, discuss the topic, and then come out of the room and tell you what they decided. You just have to accept their decision. Last year, they did that with the East basketball team and the Shelby County School board took the TSSAA to task and had it heard in court. The judge didn't agree with their decision, and the ruling was postponed, and East's basketball team could play. I don't think the court has reconvened in that case either. I may be wrong because I haven't followed it since then, and I haven't seen anything in the news about it. I'm thinking there are some factors we just aren't privy to. It does suck for those young men. 

Edited by kwc
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, kwc said:

I don't know any of this. This is the first I've heard about the transfer issue with the young men. From what you've said EastMustang, it appears that TSSAA isn't applying the new rule systemactically. The thing with the TSSAA is they don't disclose to the public HOW they arrived at their decisions. They go in the back room, discuss the topic, and then come out of the room and tell you what they decided. You just have to accept their decision. Last year, they did that with the East basketball team and the Shelby County School board took the TSSAA to task and had it heard in court. The judge didn't agree with their decision, and the ruling was postponed, and East's basketball team could play. I don't think the court has reconvened in that case either. I may be wrong because I haven't followed it since then, and I haven't seen anything in the news about it. I'm thinking there are some factors we just aren't privy to. It does suck for those young men. 

Yes, from what I understand, that is exactly what they did. No real explanation how they came up with this decision. How it works for some and not for others.Too much secrecy and no transparency.  If it was the same across the board, that would be one thing, but this just makes no sense. I don't think the parents are just going to sit back though. We will see.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TrenchDawg said:

Seems to be more talk about Cordova than Whitehaven by the Whitehaven crew??? I remember this summer there was all this noise about all these offers those kids have, and how good they are gonna be this year, where's the hype now? 

The mere fact that Whitehaven has had over 16 young men to get offers during the preseason is awesome. I can't remember a Shelby County school to have ever had that many student athletes get that many offers during the spring and summer preceeding the season. It speaks volumes about the recruiment program that Coach Saulsberry has been able to build at Whitehaven, as well as, the parents and student athletes buying in to what has to be done in the off season to make those type of results possible, That many offers to one team in the preseason didn't just happen. It was planned and the work was put in and the results are amazing. Then to add players via transfer who were offered in the preseason, is judt icing on the cake.

However, we all know, with the offers come the expectations. When you have at least 12 players with offers from FBS programs, then it is going to be 'State Championship or bust'. It doesn't matter that we are talking 14 - 18 year olds, with some coming into the program for the first time this year. You all know how that works. This is going to be a work in progress. Stay tuned.

9 minutes ago, eastMustang said:

Yes, from what I understand, that is exactly what they did. No real explanation how they came up with this decision. How it works for some and not for others.Too much secrecy and no transparency.  If it was the same across the board, that would be one thing, but this just makes no sense. I don't think the parents are just going to sit back though. We will see.

Good for the parents. I hope they can get some resolution without having to take the TSSAA to court. Court just takes too long. By the time it will be heard, nevermind, there could be continuances, which will only drag things out longer ... the season could be over, or close to ending, before it even gets heard. I hope relying on the court system to get resolution isn't the case.

1 minute ago, kwc said:

Good for the parents. I hope they can get some resolution without having to take the TSSAA to court. Court just takes too long. By the time it will be heard, nevermind, there could be continuances, which will only drag things out longer ... the season could be over, or close to ending, before it even gets heard. I hope relying on the court system to get resolution isn't the case.

idk

45 minutes ago, Respect901fball said:

Definitely not the  # 3 team in the state.  Nowhere close.....

I agree. Right now, Whitehaven isn't playing like the #3 team in the state. However, the longer they play, the better they jell. I like the improvements I am seeing from week to week.

I am glad, however, that they have the expectations thrust upon them. I like the fact that they are expected to excell and play like one of the best teams in the state. I like that.

Some may say that is a lot of pressure to put on those young men. I like the fact that they have to embrace the expectations of greatness. I like it that the bar is HIGH. No excuses. That goes to everybody involved from coaches to players. The saying is ... "Pressure can burst a pipe". I'm looking forward to see how this coaching staff handles this type of pressure. I'm looking forward to seeing how this team handles the pressure. You forge steel in a blazing hot fire to get what you want. 

This is a good situation to be in.

18 minutes ago, Respect901fball said:

Coach Rodney is a proven Coach.  He will have them ready by seasons end.  Whitehaven is in the perfect district.  There are only 4 teams in region 8 6a so everybody will make the playoffs.  

That's accurate, there are only 4. There isn't a cupcake in the group though. White Station's record may not look too good, but they are always a tough out. Their schedule is usually murder's row, but towards the end of teseason, no one wants to play them.

It's not like Region 7 - 6A is any different. They only have 5 teams. It's not like Whitehaven will be the 4th seed in Region 8. Whitehaven won't make it to the playoffs because there are only four teams in the region. Whitehaven will make the playoffs because they are one of the top teams in region.

Edited by kwc

42 minutes ago, Respect901fball said:

TBD..... this team has played together all  spring and summer, in the state  out of state 7 on 7 as well as scrimmages.  It's pretty much been the same thing. We'll see

Spring and summer is also when the guys go to the 'camps'. Whitehaven players go to a LOT of camps. That is one reason for all of the scholarship offers this spring and summer. The Whitehaven coaching staff has made it a point to have their players go to multiple camps during the camp season. They go to quite a few. Not to mention the 'tour of the Big 10 and SEC schools that coach Saulsberry takes the young men on during that period. That time eats into other stuff. Not to mention, the 7-on-7 camps aren't the school teams anymore, during the spring/summer 7-on-7 period. The players all go and get on sponsored 7-on-7 teams, sort of how the AAU teams do in basketball. The only team oriented 7-on-7 stuff that is done now, is done in the late summer when practice starts. They don't have a lot of time to 'jell' during spring and summer like you would think.

Like I said ... work in progress.

Edited by kwc

4 hours ago, Respect901fball said:

Great point

Hey man ... when are you going to take part in the BGIM? Come on man, it's just for kicks and giggles. Those of us who do it have a blast.

Besides, I do all of the work ... LOL! All you have to do is put that 901 high school football knowledge to the test. With that screen name of yours, how could you NOT play?

What do you say?

Edited by kwc