Basketball shorts rule

CoachHolly7

23 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Many schools here only buy new uniforms every 3-5 years also.

This trend has nothing to do with shorts that don't fit. The kids see the NBA guys do it so they wanna be like them. 

The problem comes in places (Memphis is a great example) where coaches don't care what shoes, shorts, socks, sleeves, etc... that kids wear. 

There would be players showing up in a completely different uniform if it wasn't part of the rules. 

Rolling shorts is no different trend than the baggy shorts and black socks that started so long ago with the Fab 5 at Michigan. It's a trend and a simple Google search will prove that.

This may and probably is all true, but my comment was made from personal experience of taking over several different jobs that the previous coach left basically no money in the account and having some young guys who actually couldn't fit the shorts that were available and no money to buy new unis or even shorts. My teams wear the same shoes, no wrist bands, arm sleeves, head bands etc. we are uniform. I am old school when it comes to that, but to punish a young man (sometimes very young) for not being large enough to fit into the shorts available seems a bit absurd to me. If they all fit or if they are a sponsored school (nike elite or adidas) then they should have proper sizes easily available. There are cases though where rolling the shorts is necessary, but in turn I do realize that most of the time that it is done is for attention and because of the trend. I wouldn't know if they do it in the NBA or not as I refuse to watch it because of the attention seeking selfishness shown in the league among other reasons. Also something many coaches don't do is make each player wear the correct sizes so sometimes certain players are left without an option although it really is the coach who is to blame so I definitely realize there is more than one side to this story and I respect what you are saying. 

23 hours ago, District12AA said:

Just a bunch of old white men making rules to keep kids down. Things like this are about power and control and has very little to do with safety.

Don't bring race into a stupid thing like rolling shorts. It has everything to do with uniformity. 

This is another example of how AAU is negatively affecting high school sports. 

• Like 3

This is what is wrong with the whole country. People rules are in place everywhere. OBEY THE RULES!!! So what that you don't like them. At you work place (if you work) then there are rules you must abide by, Kids are no different teach them to abide by the rules. Teach them to respect the officials and just play them game. Coaches size your players as best you can and try to get smaller shorts whenever possible.

If you don't like the rules stop WHINING and go through the proper channels and procedures to change them. Until then OBEY Them or face the consequences.  

what does it matter if we are uniform or not?  why does it matter if we roll or don't roll?  I can get my finger caught in pocket as easily as i can get it caught in a sleeve or any other corner.  As long as one team wears white, or any light color, and one team wears a dark color just let the kids play.  Dont care if all the shorts don't match, don't care if one kid has a different color undershirt.  You guys who are complaining about this are the problem, not the kids.  A bunch of these schools can't buy size specific uniforms every year, and why should they?  Aren't we about "Just lettting the kids play".  This might be the most ridiculous rule on TSSAA book.  You guys are the same bunch worrying about who is transferring somewhere.  A Joke.  

3 minutes ago, delrod said:

what does it matter if we are uniform or not?  why does it matter if we roll or don't roll?  I can get my finger caught in pocket as easily as i can get it caught in a sleeve or any other corner.  As long as one team wears white, or any light color, and one team wears a dark color just let the kids play.  Dont care if all the shorts don't match, don't care if one kid has a different color undershirt.  You guys who are complaining about this are the problem, not the kids.  A bunch of these schools can't buy size specific uniforms every year, and why should they?  Aren't we about "Just lettting the kids play".  This might be the most ridiculous rule on TSSAA book.  You guys are the same bunch worrying about who is transferring somewhere.  A Joke.  

Because it's an organized game of basketball. It's a standard. Standards are created to set things apart. Standards are expectations. 

Don't wanna worry about rolling shorts? Don't wanna worry about uniforms? Go down to the local playground or rec center and watch the quality of play there and tell me people would want to pay to see it.

Ok i will give you the "uniform rule", no rolling shorts.  But why does the TSSAA not make all the kids wear the same shoes?  We are missing the point here, the most important part is to get as MANY kids as possible playing.  Who gives a rats #### if they have the same shorts, top, shoes.  It is about kids playing middle school and high school basketball, football, volleyball, whatever.  Yall are making this a waaaaay bigger issue than it ought to be. Does not have anything to do with AAU.  We are missing kids, especially in  basketball, football because of uniform restrictions.  What a joke.  LET THE KIDS PLAY.  By the way there is a great book out there  with the same title.  Some of you dummies ought to look into it .Seen way to many times where a kid does not get to dress because a coach does not have enough "uniforms" for all the kids who deserve it.  And we wonder why little Johnny quits when he is a sophmore.  None of these kids are playing after high school.  Why mess it up for them?

and by the way guess none of yall had to wear "high waters" to school when you were growing up.  Kind of embarrassing.  Imagine being the kid who has to wear a uniform that is 2 sizes too large when you are a sophomore or freshman.  Yall need to go back to complaining how bad the refs are and get off the kids wearing different shorts.